Nyon Upgrade in USA worked out of the box!

Bumpity for this thread. I have purchased a Nyon 1G version and I'm waiting for my controller cable purchased separately to arrive. I'm running Android on a Samsung S7Edge and would like any coaching available. I do have some family in England that can purchase a Google Play card. What steps should I follow now? Thanks.
@Steve Porter
@Alaskan

Installation of the controller is straightforward. The other end of the controller cable is attached to a 1"'x1" rectangular panel on the back upper left of the intuvia display mount, held in place by four tiny screws. You need an very small, jewelers Phillips screw driver.

One of the Nyon's great advantages is that it will install its updates from the web automatically. It did not have the eMTB assist mode when it arrived. After the update it was there and works great. With the Nyon, you will not have to go to the dealer to get the updates installed.

• Have the app loaded to your phone. Here is a link to an Android app download https://ebike-connect.en.aptoide.com/
    Take a photo with your phone of how the cable runs from the controller to the display mount.
  • Mine was wound loosely around my handlebar (see my photo above).
  • Loosen the screw at the bottom of the intuvia controller and take it off the left side of your handlebar.
  • Slightly loosen all four screws on your intuvia display mount and rotate it on the handlebar so it is as upside down as possible.
  • Carefully remove the four screws holding the small panel to the back of the mount.
  • Carefully remove the controller interface panel taking care to catch the fine weather-sealing, red gasket
  • Make sure the fine, red sealing gasket is in its groove before you place the Nyon controller interface on the back of the display mount.
  • Secure the four screws.
  • Turn on the Nyon. You will get the 580 error message. Ignore it push the up or down button.
  • Make sure you are within good range of your home wifi network.
  • Get into the settings menu and set up your wifi, enter password, etc.
  • The Nyon will automatically want to update to the latest version. Let it do that.
  • On your computer go to https://www.ebike-connect.com and set up your account/profile.
  • Start exploring and playing around.
  • Create custom ride and fitness screens.
  • Open up your portal at ebike-connect.com when you get home from riding. All the legs of your route for the day are mapped out and recorded in detail while you are walking from your bike to your computer...too cool.
  • Create your next route on your computer and download it to your nyon...ready to go when you turn on your bike.
  • I was able to buy the custom ride modes and topographic range features from the goolgle play store here in the US once the app is installed.

Nyon is the best looking, most useful bike computer I have seen. The only negative is that it takes about 15 seconds to boot up before you can select assist levels and begin your ride.

I've recently seen numerous used 1GB Nyon display-only units listed on eBay for ~US$100. Pair that with a separately purchased Nyon controller, and the total cost, less than US$200, seems like a bargain next to the 8GB upgrade kits priced at ~US$500.

So what's the catch?
Why are there a bunch of 1GB units available?
Are these 1GB units significantly different beyond their storage capacity?
Different processors? GPS differences?
Are they considered "End-of-Sale" or "End-of-Life" by Bosch?
What is the latest 1GB firmware version available?

Bravo, courageous @Sweetwater! I'd love to hear more on your 1GB Nyon experiment. I had considered going the same path you're now on, but could find no prior success stories online to bolster my own confidence. (background chicken clucking sound)

----------------------
Alternate Android Nyon Bosch-eBike-Connect APK download links:
https://apkpure.com/bosch-ebike-connect/com.bosch.ebike
https://apk-dl.com/bosch-ebike-connect
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bosch.ebike

Last edited:
I've recently seen numerous used 1GB Nyon display-only units listed on eBay for ~US$100. Pair that with a separately purchased Nyon controller, and the total cost, less than US$200, seems like a bargain next to the 8GB upgrade kits priced at ~US$500.

So what's the catch?
Why are there a bunch of 1GB units available?
Are these 1GB units significantly different beyond their storage capacity?
Different processors? GPS differences?
Are they considered "End-of-Sale" or "End-of-Life" by Bosch?
What is the latest 1GB firmware version available?

Bravo, courageous @Sweetwater! I'd love to hear more on your 1GB Nyon experiment. I had considered going the same path you're now on, but could find no prior success stories online to bolster my own confidence. (background chicken clucking sound)

----------------------
Alternate Android Nyon Bosch-eBike-Connect APK download links:
https://apkpure.com/bosch-ebike-connect/com.bosch.ebike
https://apk-dl.com/bosch-ebike-connect
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bosch.ebike

I have loaded all the maps for my home state of Washington as well as those for British Columbia Canada and still have about 140 mb of space remaining free in memory. More memory is always better but 1 gig seems to be quite adequate and the savings of $200 is worth it. As far as I can tell the only difference between the two models is the amount of memory. It appears that the firmware version is the same across the board. From what I have heard Bosch will not be selling the Nyon into the North American market...ever. Supposedly they are working on a whole new display device. IMPO the Nyon is near perfect. The only gripe I have with it is that it takes about 20 seconds to boot up before you can select your assist level. and go I do miss he instant start on the Intuvia.

Installation of the controller is straightforward. The other end of the controller cable is attached to a 1"'x1" rectangular panel on the back upper left of the intuvia display mount, held in place by four tiny screws. You need an very small, jewelers Phillips screw driver.

One of the Nyon's great advantages is that it will install its updates from the web automatically. It did not have the eMTB assist mode when it arrived. After the update it was there and works great. With the Nyon, you will not have to go to the dealer to get the updates installed.

• Have the app loaded to your phone. Here is a link to an Android app download https://ebike-connect.en.aptoide.com/
    Take a photo with your phone of how the cable runs from the controller to the display mount.
  • Mine was wound loosely around my handlebar (see my photo above).
  • Loosen the screw at the bottom of the intuvia controller and take it off the left side of your handlebar.
  • Slightly loosen all four screws on your intuvia display mount and rotate it on the handlebar so it is as upside down as possible.
  • Carefully remove the four screws holding the small panel to the back of the mount.
  • Carefully remove the controller interface panel taking care to catch the fine weather-sealing, red gasket
  • Make sure the fine, red sealing gasket is in its groove before you place the Nyon controller interface on the back of the display mount.
  • Secure the four screws.
  • Turn on the Nyon. You will get the 580 error message. Ignore it push the up or down button.
  • Make sure you are within good range of your home wifi network.
  • Get into the settings menu and set up your wifi, enter password, etc.
  • The Nyon will automatically want to update to the latest version. Let it do that.
  • On your computer go to https://www.ebike-connect.com and set up your account/profile.
  • Start exploring and playing around.
  • Create custom ride and fitness screens.
  • Open up your portal at ebike-connect.com when you get home from riding. All the legs of your route for the day are mapped out and recorded in detail while you are walking from your bike to your computer...too cool.
  • Create your next route on your computer and download it to your nyon...ready to go when you turn on your bike.
  • I was able to buy the custom ride modes and topographic range features from the goolgle play store here in the US once the app is installed.

Nyon is the best looking, most useful bike computer I have seen. The only negative is that it takes about 15 seconds to boot up before you can select assist levels and begin your ride.

I'm still waiting on the controller, perhaps in another week. @Alaskan
Just outstanding in both explanation and detail, thank you!
I'm a tad excited after charging the Nyon and getting a feel for it's capabilities.

The 1GB version, with latest software, displays v1.6.0.2 on its dash screen.
The 8GB version, with latest software, displays v2.6.0.2 on its dash screen.

The 1GB version takes about 16sec from power-on to dash screen.
The 8GB version takes about 10sec from power-on to dash screen.

They both take about 4-6sec to power-off.
I'll post more similarities and differences after getting a little more experience with each.
'
Bosch.Nyon.v1.vs.v2-IMG_20180430_172226b.jpg

Last edited:
mysteryna, curious if you wound up buying the 1gb and the 8gb model?
Also look forward to your updates here.
Still trying to figure out why I can get quick text message notifications on the Nyon (they stay on for just a few seconds and just show the senders name but not the message, telling you to pull over first) but still no notification for incoming calls. This from my iPhone X. This is an important feature to me as some people depend on being able to reach me for assistance. It was touted as a feature from the earliest Nyon brochures.
Any input would be appreciated.
Good Luck with your Nyon (Nyon's?)

Hiya tallpaul - Yes. I have both the 1GB and 8GB models now in hand. I had already ordered, and was awaiting arrival of, an 8GB-upgrade-kit from a German eBay discounter when I stumbled across a "best offer" deal for the 1GB version. Curiosity got the better of me. I'll explore the differences and share those observations here as time allows.
Thanks for the heads-up on text message notifications. I will definitely explore that, sharing whatever clues I can. I'm currently an Android phone user, but do have a weMessage relay configured for "blue-bubbling" my iMessage friends. I'm hopeful that I can figure out how to make a variety of Android messaging apps (Hangouts, SMS, weMessage) display their notifications via Nyon.

I have a 1 gig Nyon on both my eBike and an Android phone. I am eager to see what you find for message notification. I also get the brief message about pulling over to retrieve, which is probably the safest thing to do anyway.

Checking back in with another Thanks to Alaskan and tallpaul.
My chain was becoming stretched but now it's replaced.
And the Nyon has been installed and seems to be working great.
I've downloaded #2 State maps and still have some room.
Big ride in Santa Fe next weekend.
I have not yet synced it to my Samsung phone, I want some experience without that additional complexity.
As my Baja buddies all say. Jajajajajajaja

Quick edit: I was able to salvage the gasket and all 4 screws, good thing for forceps, my fingers are like cigars.

20180511_153021.jpg
20180511_114849.jpg

Sweetwater, looks great! I thought that was my bike for a second, new chain and all. What chain did you wind up with?
I found that MucOff C3 Ceramic chain lube was the the best of three leading types of chain lube.
Just swapped out the Maxxis Ikon+'s for the Schwalbe Super Moto X tires, both 2.8' W, no problems with fit. Yet to ride as the weather has been bad today, hopefully tomorrow.
Glad you sound stoked on the Nyon. We both have the Alaskan to thank for the link to buy it and the great step by step instructions he shared. The internet's forums at its best!

Glad it worked out. The app on my Samsung s9+ is almost as good as the portal on a web brower using Chrome on a PC. Not entirely needed but nicely functional. Once you have the app you can pay a little extra and get the custom ride modes and topographic range estimates. The topo range estimates give you a graphic of your range on a map that varies according to terrain. You do have to download the app install file from a source that was in my instructions and then over ride the security to allow it to install from an untrusted source by granting permission to do so. Once the app is on board it can be updated and the two low cost module mentioned above can be added to your Nyon. You set the custom ride modes on your Bosch ebike connect portal and then push them to the Nyon once you configure them the way you want. You can select between the factory assist modes and your custom mode on the Nyon while riding.

Last edited:
Glad it worked out. The app on my Samsung s9+ is almost as good as the portal on a web brower using Chrome on a PC. Not entirely needed but nicely functional. Once you have the app you can pay a little extra and get the custom ride modes and topographic range estimates. The topo range estimates give you a graphic of your range on a map that varies according to terrain. You do have to download the app install file from a source that was in my instructions and then over ride the security to allow it to install from an untrusted source by granting permission to do so. Once the app is on board it can be updated and the two low cost module mentioned above can be added to your Nyon. You set the custom ride modes on your Bosch ebike connect portal and then push them to the Nyon once you configure them the way you want. You can select between the factory assist modes and your custom mode on the Nyon while riding.

Very nice, thanks again.
I was also looking at the ability to easily program the Nyon for individual wheel circumferences.
http://www.berkshiresports.org/index.php?ID=bikecomputertiresizecalculator
I'm thinking that plays into the 28 mph cutoff through the system and wonder if it can be played with to yield a higher effective speed cutoff.
IOW, fool the system into thinking you're going slower by increasing the wheel circumference by 5-10%.
lol
I know, I'm an agitator.

That drive train on your haibike looks like some serious go-gear!

You do have a small amount of latitude for setting wheel circumference. I am such a data geek that, much as I want the extra speed occasionally, deliberately introducing inaccuracy into my ride data just goes against my grain. To each their own ;)

Sooooo, what's the market like for a used Intuvia with Controller.
This is such a rip and great piece of equipment, I don't see myself going back.
;)

Been out and about in the 40F clear and crisp weekend weather.
Nyon and bike have been working great but I went to the Nyon Portal to look at my recent activities.
Locked out of my account!
Anyone else?

Your account has been blocked – please write to [email protected]

No trouble (yet) using the ebike-connect.com portal, or syncing activities from a 1G (v1.6.0.2) or 8G (v2.6.0.2) Nyon.

Have you contacted bosch-ebike yet? Maybe it's a simple as someone spoofing your email, and they just want to confirm authorised use? Hopefully it's not some sort of Big Brother geographic use audit. I'm pretty sure I'd divest of my Bosch bikes were it not for Nyon.

I'm anxious to see what Nyon features are added - and removed - in the upcoming 2018 firmware update (releasing on 28Nov?) I'll likely try this on my 1G model first, seeing if I lose anything critical, before upgrading my 8G.

Been out and about in the 40F clear and crisp weekend weather.
Nyon and bike have been working great but I went to the Nyon Portal to look at my recent activities.
Locked out of my account!
Anyone else?

Your account has been blocked – please write to [email protected]
This has happened to me before. I usually just reload the page and I can get in using user name and password. If it doesn't work, I'd wait 'til later or tomorrow.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the Nyon (and your bike!)

I got this message this morning at: https://www.ebike-connect.com/ebikeconnect/portal/public/#/

You have been logged out
Unfortunately, the eBike-connect portal is not available at the moment. Once it is back, you will need to login again. Sorry about that!

Perhaps this is associated with site maintenance per the update to be released in two days? Not panicking yet.

I am concerned that the Nyon update may not work with the older version of the app and that those of us in North America who have added the Nyon with the app from unofficial sources. I suspect we will not be able to update to the new version of the app until someone puts it up on line outside of the Apple or Play Stores. We shall see.

Back