Nyon Upgrade in USA worked out of the box!

For ideas accessing the eBike Connect on the app store. I got around it by downloading a free VPN app on my phone (android) setting it to a German server, opening a German Gmail account. Then opening my google play store, linking it to that gmail account, and it worked. I was able to download app and so forth. Hope this helps

I ordered the Nyon from Bike Discount (about $380 with shipping) from Germany and it arrived in Wyoming in 10 days with no problem, with good tracking, DHL uses USPS in most of the US. Took 5 days from LA to Cheyenne. I used eBike Connect at Bosch to update the Nyon software and download maps using a MacBook Pro. You link the Nyon mounted on the bike to Bosch thru WiFi, it sets up the bike (Trek XM700+) parameters. I checked three Trek stores in Wy & Co and they said they wouldn't help me set it up, but you don't need them, in fact it's easy and better to do it yourself. I checked the wheel circumference and it was about 6 cm short in the Nyon, the ebike app allows you to change the Nyon circumference. The GPS and maps, downloaded 20 states, worked immediately, the maps aren't as good or as current as Google or Apple maps in my area. I'll still use the Strava app with my IWatch/iPhone to record my ride heart rate, elevations, and distance segments, but the Nyon for on bike navigation and ride monitoring. I still want and need the iPhone Bosch app, but am worried about changing the App Store to another country and getting an acceptable fund account. See Bosch's poor response is attached below, for some reason Bosch doesn't want to support upgrades to Nyon in North America even after we purchase their ebike drive and computer systems for Thousands of $. Thanks Bosch!

Subject: [Ticket#2017042493006817591] Request from Contact Form | Bosch Germany CRM:0100497
Date:
May 1, 2017 at 11:02:03 AM MDT
To: wymapper.........

Hello Mr wymapper

Thank you for your message. We are glad that you have enjoyed your Trek XM700+ for so many miles. As you’ve mentioned, the Nyon cycling computer is unavailable in the U.S. with a release date of “TBD”. Unless the Nyon is officially release in the U.S., unfortunately the app cannot be provided in the U.S. I encourage you to visit our website at www.bosch-ebike.com/en for news on future products and updates.

Happy to help with any other questions that you may have. Thanks!

Best regards

I ordered the Nyon from Bike Discount (about $380 with shipping) from Germany and it arrived in Wyoming in 10 days with no problem, with good tracking, DHL uses USPS in most of the US. Took 5 days from LA to Cheyenne. I used eBike Connect at Bosch to update the Nyon software and download maps using a MacBook Pro. You link the Nyon mounted on the bike to Bosch thru WiFi, it sets up the bike (Trek XM700+) parameters. I checked three Trek stores in Wy & Co and they said they wouldn't help me set it up, but you don't need them, in fact it's easy and better to do it yourself. I checked the wheel circumference and it was about 6 cm short in the Nyon, the ebike app allows you to change the Nyon circumference. The GPS and maps, downloaded 20 states, worked immediately, the maps aren't as good or as current as Google or Apple maps in my area. I'll still use the Strava app with my IWatch/iPhone to record my ride heart rate, elevations, and distance segments, but the Nyon for on bike navigation and ride monitoring. I still want and need the iPhone Bosch app, but am worried about changing the App Store to another country and getting an acceptable fund account. See Bosch's poor response is attached below, for some reason Bosch doesn't want to support upgrades to Nyon in North America even after we purchase their ebike drive and computer systems for Thousands of $. Thanks Bosch!

Subject: [Ticket#2017042493006817591] Request from Contact Form | Bosch Germany CRM:0100497
Date:
May 1, 2017 at 11:02:03 AM MDT
To: wymapper.........

Hello Mr wymapper

Thank you for your message. We are glad that you have enjoyed your Trek XM700+ for so many miles. As you’ve mentioned, the Nyon cycling computer is unavailable in the U.S. with a release date of “TBD”. Unless the Nyon is officially release in the U.S., unfortunately the app cannot be provided in the U.S. I encourage you to visit our website at www.bosch-ebike.com/en for news on future products and updates.

Happy to help with any other questions that you may have. Thanks!

Best regards

It's more of an insurance and liability thing. That's why they didn't bring the Nyon here in the first place. To many questionable areas when it comes to US regulations, especially when you consider how letigious our society is.

If they were to provide support to you on this product that would mean they condone using it in the US, but they don't. I think it's right to respect the decision of Bosch on this and I'm sure they didn't come to it without careful thought and considerations.

The Nyon wasn't a huge success in Europe and I think we should see some other developments in the future in this area. Maybe from a different angle though.

As far as I can tell, you can't edit an Activity's name.
A word of caution about the nyon which is a great bit of kit .. bought my Scott espark 710 with nyon Jan 2016 did updates then Aug 2016 nyon suffered the white screen of death . Took back to retailer who sent the unit back to Germany ,due to me being unable to use bike until unit was returned from Germany a new unit was issued . I was advised don't do any Bosch updates as this has been an issue with the nyons . So far no updates no problems here in the U.K the nyon is covered under warranty . Not sure Bosch have marketed the nyon in the USA yet?

After over 11 months of waiting I finally got my Haibike Race S 6.0 that I had ordered my Nyon from Europe months ago to use with! Fortunately I have read many posts about issues with the update so I have declined it each time it is suggested. The main reason I wanted the Nyon was for the custom riding modes--I want to use substantially less assist on most of my climbs than the standard settings. I have set my custom modes as follows:

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 1.21.12 PM.png

I have ridden mostly on Custom 1 and 2 for climbs, kicking up to Custom 3 and 4 for a brief period if I want to maintain speed at a higher gear on a particularly step grade. After three rides I have used 100% equivalent of the battery to give me an idea of my range for the way I ride using these modes. Totals are:

83.1 miles
8892 feet ascended
6 hrs 3 min ride time

I am very happy with those numbers as that is exactly what I was hoping for if using lower levels of assist. I did notice today that while riding my Nyon was freezing for prolonged periods--it would eventually catch up but this was really happening nonstop. Curious if anyone else has experienced this?

IMG_3722.JPG

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the iPhone app for the Nyon here in the states?

As far as I know you can only get it through a European App Store. I created a U.K. iTunes account and got it there. Have to jump through a number of hoops but it can be done.

RE firmware updates. When I fired up and connected my new nyon, as soon as the wifi password was entered and it connected to my home network, it asked if I wanted to update the firmware. It did so in less than a minute and when it was done, the bike had the new eMTB mode available. Apparently with the Nyon, you bypass the need to get your firmware updates from a dealer and get the updates directly through wifi.

I have read here from some earlier posts that the firmware update made their Nyon unusable and the need to send it in to Bosch.
Perhaps that has been fixed by now as you didn't mention any issues.
I wonder if we here in the states have any issues with the Nyon as to how we'll get it serviced.

It is very cool that we'll be able to do our own updates!

BTW, it appears that perhaps Bosch has discontinued the Nyon as it doesn't show up on their sites. The sites only show the Intuvia, Purion, and now the Cobi. The Cobi uses your iPhone and I would not want my iPhone exposed to the elements on my handlebars. Also have read that the Cobi still suffers from software issues.

I am unable to get my Nyon to show incoming calls or text messages from my iPhone. It is paired successfully. And I do have the phone app eBikeConnect.
Anyone have any tips?
Just had the setup for a few hours, but overall like it, although it is distracting as I try to figure it all out.
Got to remember to keep my eyes on the road!

RE firmware updates. When I fired up and connected my new nyon, as soon as the wifi password was entered and it connected to my home network, it asked if I wanted to update the firmware. It did so in less than a minute and when it was done, the bike had the new eMTB mode available. Apparently with the Nyon, you bypass the need to get your firmware updates from a dealer and get the updates directly through wifi.

Alaskan and Rune:

Can I ask what firmware version you are currently running on your Nyon? Thanks!

My Nyon is running version 1.6.0.2 My Bosch system is the Performance CX. It updates through the web on its own (after asking for and receiving the okay from me). After this last update the eMTB mode replaced the Sport mode. On the Nyon it keeps the eMTB mode identifier rather than flashing it and saying that it is in Sport like it did when the Intuvia was updated.

On my android phone, I have been getting text and phone notifications on my Nyon. It has full functionality in every other respect. There was no problem purchasing and downloading the custom ride mode function as well as topographic range estimation on the google play store. I am afraid Apple issues are just another example of their equipment not playing well with others. I am sure a call to on of their "geniuses" will get the "we do not support that" response. Not trying to offend here. It just seems that this is one of the prices they extract for use of their gear.

I don't think the text/phone issues are to be blamed on Apple. From the earliest Nyon literature, and in their manuals, and videos, they show it compatible with the Nyon. My guess is is a setting on my phone that is not correct, although I have scoured through them all several times to no avail. Going to still try. I don't get a lot of calls or texts but I have some people that rely on me so I will stop and look at my phone to see if I need to respond. Or I can wear my Apple watch where I can see who is trying to get ahold of me. In all fairness to Apple, I think all platforms owe a nod to their user interface and eloquent hardware solutions, all of which work remarkably well.
Happy to see that Steve Porter updated his Nyon successfully!

Thanks for the responses. I have the 8 gb model and just went ahead and upgraded to 2.6.0.2 (latest for that model). At first glance seems to be working correctly but will fully test in ride today. Hopefully it will improve the responsiveness of my unit so I get more instantaneous readout of parameters rather than the delays I have been getting. But most importantly I still have my custom modes which was the most important thing for me.

Bumpity for this thread. I have purchased a Nyon 1G version and I'm waiting for my controller cable purchased separately to arrive. I'm running Android on a Samsung S7Edge and would like any coaching available. I do have some family in England that can purchase a Google Play card. What steps should I follow now? Thanks.
@Steve Porter
@Alaskan

Back