Nyon Upgrade in USA worked out of the box!

Good land! The BBSxx peddlers are decades behind... nice, very nice.

Bob,

What I had to do was pretty silly. I created a user that lived in London using my company's London office mailing address.

I then had to get a gift card from a UK ebay seller and apply that to my newly created account.

A pretty big pain in the tokis but it worked.

jeff

For Android, I created a Germany based gmail account and used a VPN to Germany to get the ebike app. The new gmail account may not be needed, but the VPN was.

Strangely, I was easily able to purchase the premium apps using a regular USD google gift card that I bought at a grocery store. $5.66 each (includes tax). No German based gmail account or VPN needed.

Last edited:
Hi this is just a query from a novice, as I also intend to buy from overseas and install on my new bike. It stated somewhere I was looking that it needs to be set/or calibrated by a Bosch dealer.. is this rubbish? Also, I highly doubt, but I read some place that it doesn't work on the S peledic line? I really appreciate you answer/s

Another hitch... I am not allowed to use a US credit card in the British store so I cannot purchase the "Custom Riding Modes" or "Topo Range" in app purchases. The "eBike Connect" app for the iPhone is free so downloading it from the British store was simply a matter of creating a new AppleID "in" Britain.

I am able to pair with my iPhone, connect to my home Wi-Fi. I created an account at Bosch's internet portal and transferring routes works find.

First bike ride is scheduled for tomorrow :)

jeff

Jeff-Outstanding job on your postings. I discovered Nyon display when it was first available from Bosch and was told the same thing. I have to commend you on your creativity in getting it over to the US. Looks like a lot of steps to go through, but it appears to be well worth it. I thought to simplify, just purchase a Garmin for bikes and that would also suffice. This unit cost you approx $420.00 dollars US with shipping from the UK? Looks like the Nyon gives many more added features than a Garmin would IMHO. Enjoy your new interface! :D

Hi this is just a query from a novice, as I also intend to buy from overseas and install on my new bike. It stated somewhere I was looking that it needs to be set/or calibrated by a Bosch dealer.. is this rubbish? Also, I highly doubt, but I read some place that it doesn't work on the S peledic line? I really appreciate you answer/s

I can't answer for the S pedelec, but it did not require any additional calibration or software programming when I installed it on my Bosch CX powered pedelec. I also fitted supernova lights and no additional programming required to activate those, contrary to information from Bosch. My bike is tuned with a bikespeed RS dongle and there are no issues with the Nyon, so I would doubt you would have issues with an S-pedelec. If you buy the kit from bike-discount.de or another online retailer that has a good return policy the worst care is you'll be out of pocket for postage if you buy it and it doesn't work.

I can't answer for the S pedelec, but it did not require any additional calibration or software programming when I installed it on my Bosch CX powered pedelec. I also fitted supernova lights and no additional programming required to activate those, contrary to information from Bosch. My bike is tuned with a bikespeed RS dongle and there are no issues with the Nyon, so I would doubt you would have issues with an S-pedelec. If you buy the kit from bike-discount.de or another online retailer that has a good return policy the worst care is you'll be out of pocket for postage if you buy it and it doesn't work.
Thanks so much for the reply, I have gone ahead and ordered one. Looking forward to it.

Hi Rob,

How does the navi function compare to simply using Here or Google Maps on a mobile phone? I'm trying to find justification for a Nyon down under :)

Peter

Just an update on the Nav function.

When planning a route on the ebike-connect dashboard or app , there are no issues, just punch in the address, select the option (fast, scenic or MTB) and away you go. However, when trying to plan a route on the Nyon it does not show all zip codes and streets for the purpose of inputting a destination. However, the address will come up if you import the route from the app or web portal. Not sure if this is just a problem in Australia or elsewhere as well.

Select MTB with care. This option can take you onto quite technical trails. A couple of times I have had to turn back because either the trail didn't exist (although shown on the map) or it was just impassable by bike. I think this is more of a problem with the accuracy of the underlying map data (which is openstreetmaps I suspect) than the Bosch programming.

None of these are dealbreakers for me, but are issues I have detected.

Jamesfw...if you can let us know how the upgrade went. I too have a S that I'm thinking of putting a Nyon on.
I have the shiny new Nyon, just waiting for my bike to arrive. There was a delay in the delivery of my haibike, not expected now till end of month . Will let you know how I get on.

I have the shiny new Nyon, just waiting for my bike to arrive. There was a delay in the delivery of my haibike, not expected now till end of month . Will let you know how I get on.
Ahh yes, the wait. Just received mine last week after a month and a half wait. Well worth it!

Can I ask, what did you buy, and your reasons? I ended up with the Trekking Xduro, although I first wanted Urban plus (style and speed), but they had a recall on the forks, and it made me look at the trekking a bit closer, and realised it really is much better suited to my everyday needs:)

How does this compare with the Cobi system?
Price wise similar, actually Cobi a little less, and with the Cobi you get lights, including a motion sensing brake light. Also it is available in the states.
Anybody using the Cobi here and care to give us some updates?

Can I ask, what did you buy, and your reasons? I ended up with the Trekking Xduro, although I first wanted Urban plus (style and speed), but they had a recall on the forks, and it made me look at the trekking a bit closer, and realised it really is much better suited to my everyday needs:)
I have the Xduro Trekking S 5.0. I needed something for commuting. Getting old and needed something to level out the 12mi and 1000 ft gain. So far it's working out real well. I'm happy I have the S because I spend a lot of time in the 20-25 mph range and it works well. Definitely not a free ride, just not wearing myself out like I used to. It's definitely not a light bike (approx 57lb), which makes it feel real solid. As for the fork, don't really notice it. For maintenance purposes I would have rather had a fixed fork, possibly would have saved some weight too. Not looking forward to flat tire repairs, will probably leave tire on and pull the tube out the side rather than remove the wheel (heavy bike). Lights are good, although they turned out to be cyo premium rather than the Haibike front light. Not a problem as it is as bright as my Luxos I used to use, just not quite the same pattern. And sizing was interesting, I luckily decided on the 52 for my 5'8" frame. The 56 would have been just too big. The Bosch system is taking a little time to get used to, but overall I'm very pleased with how it works. I just find myself picking a cadence then adjusting the setting for the leg resistance I want, mostly tour and sport. The Battery is usually down to one and a half bars (on the 500) after 25mi with hills (cutting an average of 10 minutes off my commute each way). Headwinds no longer matter. Nice.

I have the Xduro Trekking S 5.0. I needed something for commuting. Getting old and needed something to level out the 12mi and 1000 ft gain. So far it's working out real well. I'm happy I have the S because I spend a lot of time in the 20-25 mph range and it works well. Definitely not a free ride, just not wearing myself out like I used to. It's definitely not a light bike (approx 57lb), which makes it feel real solid. As for the fork, don't really notice it. For maintenance purposes I would have rather had a fixed fork, possibly would have saved some weight too. Not looking forward to flat tire repairs, will probably leave tire on and pull the tube out the side rather than remove the wheel (heavy bike). Lights are good, although they turned out to be cyo premium rather than the Haibike front light. Not a problem as it is as bright as my Luxos I used to use, just not quite the same pattern. And sizing was interesting, I luckily decided on the 52 for my 5'8" frame. The 56 would have been just too big. The Bosch system is taking a little time to get used to, but overall I'm very pleased with how it works. I just find myself picking a cadence then adjusting the setting for the leg resistance I want, mostly tour and sport. The Battery is usually down to one and a half bars (on the 500) after 25mi with hills (cutting an average of 10 minutes off my commute each way). Headwinds no longer matter. Nice.

Thats really helpful and good to hear thanks. I also have the S 5.0 on its way and all your points don't surprise. Like you I also would have liked something lighter, I had in mind the Urban S with rigid forks, but because of the recall they are not expected this side of the world till June (New Zealand). I am itching for it to arrive. I was previously a motorcycle rider for my commute, but want to add a health aspect to my life. As soon as it is in my hands I'll put the Nyon on and report back.

Hey James. I ordered a Nyon a couple weeks ago from Bike Discount in Germany, where did you order yours from and how long did it take to come if you don't mind me asking? Are you in the US? I have everything now upgraded on my bike besides that Nyon I am waiting for, and also that new Sherlock GPS device that doesnt ship til May, but I am dying to try out that Nyon.

Ahh yes, the wait. Just received mine last week after a month and a half wait. Well worth it!
Hey there Mr. B. A month and a half is a long time for the Nyon! I pray I don't have to wait another month that would suck. I just had the same question I asked James, where did you order from and are you located in the US?

Hey James. I ordered a Nyon a couple weeks ago from Bike Discount in Germany, where did you order yours from and how long did it take to come if you don't mind me asking? Are you in the US? I have everything now upgraded on my bike besides that Nyon I am waiting for, and also that new Sherlock GPS device that doesnt ship til May, but I am dying to try out that Nyon.

Hey there Mr. B. A month and a half is a long time for the Nyon! I pray I don't have to wait another month that would suck. I just had the same question I asked James, where did you order from and are you located in the US?
Hi Matt,
I also ordered my Nyon from Bike Discount, and it arrived to me in New Zealand in under 2 weeks. Its my bike I'm waiting for:). Good luck with your new setup.

Hi Matt,
I also ordered my Nyon from Bike Discount, and it arrived to me in New Zealand in under 2 weeks. Its my bike I'm waiting for:). Good luck with your new setup.
Bob,

What I had to do was pretty silly. I created a user that lived in London using my company's London office mailing address.

I then had to get a gift card from a UK ebay seller and apply that to my newly created account.

A pretty big pain in the tokis but it worked.

jeff

Bike Discount informed me after 3 weeks that the Nyon was returned to them and denied by DHL and Customs to be sent because of the lithium ion battery. They said this is bad luck, and that for some customers it sends no problem. Not sure if I should just reorder it from bike-discount, or if I should try somewhere else. I found fun-corner.de has it for a pretty good price, and has good reviews. I don't know what I should do:( My total from bike-discount was under $400, I see them on ebay for $500-$550, but it all is coming from Europe and can result in the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

I had the same problem--stopped by German customs even though others have had no problem in the past. I ended up ordering from Martin at E-Bikeshop in the U.K. Costs a lot more but got it in less than 10 days without a problem. You may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere but at least this worked.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Bosch-Nyon-Display-Kit
Unfortunately I can't really justify paying almost $600 when I can theoretically get it for under $400, I wish there was some sort of way to get it through bike discount. I wonder if anyone knows if it might slip by next time or if this is something new.

Back