nyon upgrade for R&M ebikes?

Dfstarman

Has anyone upgraded their Intuivia Display to the NYON ? was it pretty much plug compatible?
Any wrinkles/issues getting it to work?

Thanks

Last edited:
I believe Bosch is moving away from the Nyon.

At Eurobike 2018 last week, they presented the new Kiox color display. I guess it is a replacement for the current Intuvia since it does not contain navigation or other advanced featuers like the Nyon. But Riese & Müller is planning for the 2019 models to offer COBI option on all bikes. This leads me to believe Bosch is dropping the Nyon in favour of the COBI.

And I can see why, maintaining an advanced, purpose-built product (the Nyon) is very expensive. Much cheaper and more flexible for Bosch to push users to the COBI system which uses your smartphone as a display. I don't quite like it, since smartphones vary in quality, many would not be fit to be used in bad weather and there are so many other notifications on the smartphone that competes of the users attention. But I can see the value in providing an app-based solution since Bosch esasily can push updates and new features through this.

Yes I think so too. The one thing missing from Nyon that my Wi bike has is the built in sim card motion sensitive gps.theft alarm

I have the Nyon and I do not like it, nor do I recommend it. It is beautiful but the navigation functionality is now useless compared to any cheap smartphone. Other features are gimmicky. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that the best display solution is NO display. The only benefit of the display is to get error messages.... if Bosch actually bothered with that, because the only error you get is like "Error 505" and you have to go online and look that up anyway!

The best solution is a Bluetooth app. Like Specialized. I like Kiox but it has to be off-axis because the center of the bike is sacred. That's where you put a navigation tool that actually works.

Dmitri, I strongly disagree.

Being a professional mariner I have almost always found activity-dedicated, electronic hardware to be more robust, reliable and trouble free than just software that resides on a multipurpose device (computer, laptop, tablet). They typically have drivers for a multitude of other devices that often come into conflict with one another, rendering the device useless until you can get on-line and trouble shoot the issue.

I have read too many complaints about connectivity issue using the Cobi system that has rendered the bike's electric system useless until bugs get worked out. I have never heard of that happening with an Intuvia or Nyon.

Being somewhat of a data geek, I really like they Nyon. It gives me heart rate, cadence, wattage output, percentage of effort from me versus the system, altitude, etc. It all gets saved, displayed and graphed out on the ebike connect portal at Bosch. I can almost instantly convert a ride to a route that automatically gets uploaded to my Nyon. I can create a route on Google Maps, easily convert it to a GPX file, upload that to my Bosch portal and find it on both of my Nyons within moments of them booting up.

The screen is bright and plainly visible, even in direct sunlight, the custom ride and fitness screens are so informative. My only complaint is that the USB charging port does not put out enough power to actually keep my Samsung 9+ charged.

For me the Nyon is the best cycling computer/control/information device I know of.

Last edited:
I have been very confused because I have heard that both the Nyon and Cobi were being discontinued or at least not actively promoted by Bosch.

Touch-screen phones don't work very well with wet, dirty fingers. Especially if you are wearing gloves. The other issue with the Cobi is that it has a vampiric effect on your smartphone's battery.

Almost all of these products have connectivity problems at times. That's kind of the nature of Bluetooth and ANT+ these days. A lot of times I suspect those connectivity problems happen when devices go to sleep to save battery life.

Right now I don't really feel the need for wall-to-wall data or turn-by-turn navigation so I am doing just fine with the Intuvia. My feeling is that this technology isn't quite there yet and, bluntly, I don't yet need it badly enough to spend the money and aggravation to get it to work for me.

I will have to admit that I am intrigued by some features of the Garmin Edge 1030. The most interesting feature is that it uses Garmin Connect data from other riders to help you find a safe bike route. And the ability to warn about blind corners ahead of you is nice. As is the huge battery life. The downsides is that it is expensive, heavy, and has all the connectivity problems Garmin products are notorious for.

Last edited:
Hi Alaskan. How do you "create a route on Google Maps, easily convert it to a GPX file"?

Step BY STEP ROUTE CREATION AND TRANSFER USING GOOGLE MAPS

1. On your pc browser go to google maps
  2. enter the start point
  3. enter the destination
  4. select the bicycle at the top
  5. copy the URL of the page once the route is displayed
  6. go to https://mapstogpx.com/
  7. paste the url of the google maps route
  8. click on "Lets Go"
  9. save the file to your desk top
  10. open the Bosch Nyon ebike-connect portal
  11. select Route Planning
  12. select upload GPS file
  13. on your desktop choose the gpx file you just created
  14. click on open
  15. your route is now created, loaded on your Nyon portal and will be installed on your Nyon when you next start it up.

The thing I appreciate greatest about my Nyon is the fact it records each and every ride I take. I don't have to remember to start my watch, smartphone app, etc.

Other Pluses:
  • It works with my Wahoo Heart rate monitor
  • I don't have to worry about the battery dying
  • Fitness numbers based off of ebike assistance

Room for improvement (Bosch, are you listening?):
  • Sweet Mother Mary - Publish the iPhone app to the US Apple App Store...
  • Ability to use smartwatch heart rate monitor like Strava & Zwift does
  • I wish there was automatic Strava integration like Wahoo Element
  • Uploading GPX files from smartphone or other connected sites (Wahoo again...), not just the desktop web portal as Alaskan described.

-Terry

Last edited:
While there is always room for improvement and new features, I find the Nyon so convenient, feature rich, and reasonably complete. I am not sure why Bosch is off on other tangents with Cobi other than perhaps buying potential competition. Kudos to the team at Bosch that developed and designed the Nyon along with the ebike-connect portal. It is a data junkie's dream.

My only gripes with the Nyon are the quality of the maps and, more importantly, the tendency of the routing to send me over terrain that is at best difficult. Nor do I want to ride, with loaded panniers, on walking tracks that have stiles every few hundred yards!

Back