nyon upgrade for R&M ebikes?

My only gripes with the Nyon are the quality of the maps and, more importantly, the tendency of the routing to send me over terrain that is at best difficult. Nor do I want to ride, with loaded panniers, on walking tracks that have stiles every few hundred yards!

I quite agree. The mapping is sub par. As to the routing I wouldn't know as I have just been creating my routes on google maps converting them and uploading them to the portal which in turn downloads them to the Nyon. This has worked well so far.

Honestly OpenStreetMap is pretty lame compared to Google Maps.

Recently I was consulting on a GIS project and I ended up using Google Maps for the elevation data, largely because the Maps API did exactly what we needed and getting the USGS DEM data to do that was going to require way too much math. I suspect also that at least for the Continental US that the Google Maps data is at least as good as the USGS DEM datasets and might even be better. That is saying a lot.

The downside of Google Maps is that the billing model basically makes it impossible for devices like the Nyon to ever be able to use their data directly.

My only gripes with the Nyon are the quality of the maps and, more importantly, the tendency of the routing to send me over terrain that is at best difficult.
Exactly this. The routing in OpenStreetMap is pretty bad. The kind of control you get is to choose a 'fastest', 'mtb' or 'scenic' route as if someone actually did any sort of research on which route is scenic.

COBI or Nyon doesn't offer tracking but Riese & Müller does, optional RX-Connect GPS tracking service is soon available.

Read more here:
https://ebike-mtb.com/en/riese-mueller-with-cobi-bike/
The threat of theft has been the main thing holding me back from getting an ebike so when I read about the RX-Connect GPS service I was quite excited. In looking at their 2019 catalogue, however, it appears that RX-Connect may only be made available in Germany this year! I asked at my local dealer and he said that they may offer it on more than just the Nevo and that it may be offered in more countries than Germany but he was unable to reach his sales contact to confirm anything. Here's a link to the 2019 catalogue.

The threat of theft has been the main thing holding me back from getting an ebike so when I read about the RX-Connect GPS service I was quite excited. In looking at their 2019 catalogue, however, it appears that RX-Connect may only be made available in Germany this year! I asked at my local dealer and he said that they may offer it on more than just the Nevo and that it may be offered in more countries than Germany but he was unable to reach his sales contact to confirm anything. Here's a link to the 2019 catalogue.

I have a hard time imagining how this would work in the US. In many jurisdictions, LEO won’t be bothered with recovering a bike based on a GPS signal. Aside: I had a non-electric stolen some time ago, and when I reported it stolen, the officer was angry about having to complete the paperwork.

it appears that RX-Connect may only be made available in Germany this year!

It's not only a tech gadget, it's an agreement with an insurance company that is willing to insure the bikes in these premises. More of a service than a gadget. So I guess it will be available slowly in more and more countries as time goes on and R&M can negotiate deals with insurers. And they will probably target large R&M importing countries first. Which means Sweden will probably never get it... :/

It's not only a tech gadget, it's an agreement with an insurance company that is willing to insure the bikes in these premises. More of a service than a gadget. So I guess it will be available slowly in more and more countries as time goes on and R&M can negotiate deals with insurers. And they will probably target large R&M importing countries first. Which means Sweden will probably never get it... :/
I think you are right that R&M want to roll it out slowly. Vanmoof trialled a similar subscription in 2016 and it's been so successful that now they're offering it to buyers around the world. They call their team "Vanmoof Bike Hunters" and they have a cool story of tracking down a bike theft ring to Casablanca. I'm curious to find out if you buy a bike in Germany and ride it across the border to France whether the R&M bike hunters will still be able to track it down if it's stolen in France? I'm guessing they'd be able to with the EU roaming laws? I'm also curious to know whether the GPS tracker placed in the German bikes this year will be the same as the one that will be place in French bikes next year, meaning that if a French person bought a German bike with RX-Connect this year then they would be able to use it next year and they would only have to risk one year without the added insurance.

I hope they will continue to further develop the nyon. It's a great system and I love the GPS function. I would not like to use my phone as a display because i don't think a phone is rugged enough. An upgraded nyon would be ideal!!!

I hope they will continue to further develop the nyon. It's a great system and I love the GPS function. I would not like to use my phone as a display because i don't think a phone is rugged enough. An upgraded nyon would be ideal!!!
Not sure about that. I just noticed that R&M Delite is no longer available with a Nyon — only Intuvia and Kiox.

The Kiox screen looks like the Nyon to me, except one Nyon screen has turned into multiple Kiox screens. My impression is that the Kiox is cannibalizing the Nyon. The gps/mapping has been abandoned for the moment and will probably be shuttled to phone in communication with Kiox via Bluetooth. The size of the Kiox precludes mapping within the Kiox proper, IMO.

The only immediate advantage I see of the Kiox is the smaller form factor. The mask to my Nyon has already popped off, and while it is not a daily worry, I do sometimes think about the potential for the Nyon to break off the Intuvia mount. A future advantage would be drive firmware updates. An obvious immediate downside is clicking through umpteen Kiox screens to access information.

as you say, probably bosch will not continue nyon's development in some future but in the meantime, just a few months ago, they have punctually relased their annual update for the ebike connect portal, the app and maps too. Personally I would not return to a intuvia's style solution even if someone gives me money. I had the opportunity, before buying nyon, to take a look at cobi and I was so disappointed for the quality of the plastic materials and for having to use a phone of my own. With nyon you also have a tidier and more elegant handlebar area. Cobi's lights did not appear anything super powerful or exceptional. If I fall and break the cobi, I would not even have a phone to call for help. Nyon offers a series of in-depth, customizable and reliable data related to heartbeat (it interacts perfectly with many brands of heartbands), power, rpm, speed, etc, etc. Readability of the screen is fantastic both in the sun and when it is dark, not all phones to use with cobi allows this. Regarding maps, as someone has already said, nyon tends to take you often off road, even if you set the 'quick' way, For someone it may be a problem but for me it is a pleasure (except when my bike is extra loaded with side bags). Like @Alaskan said it is so simple to create your own route with a third software (i use komoot) and then import gpx to bosch web portal. Considering a long trip I do not think there are alternative solutions that offer same functionalities and reliability. Until today I have never had a freeze or a reset. Moreover, nyon is the only one that offers possibility to edit bosch' assistance values as you please, editing standard settings with customizable ones you can set in the menu. which other system let you do this? :)

Last edited:
as you say, probably bosch will not continue nyon's development in some future but in the meantime, just a few months ago, they have punctually relased their annual update for the ebike connect portal, the app and maps too. Personally I would not return to a intuvia's style solution even if someone gives me money. I had the opportunity, before buying nyon, to take a look at cobi and I was so disappointed for the quality of the plastic materials and for having to use a phone of my own. With nyon you also have a tidier and more elegant handlebar area. Cobi's lights did not appear anything super powerful or exceptional. If I fall and break the cobi, I would not even have a phone to call for help. Nyon offers a series of in-depth, customizable and reliable data related to heartbeat (it interacts perfectly with many brands of heartbands), power, rpm, speed, etc, etc. Readability of the screen is fantastic both in the sun and when it is dark, not all phones to use with cobi allows this. Regarding maps, as someone has already said, nyon tends to take you often off road, even if you set the 'quick' way, For someone it may be a problem but for me it is a pleasure (except when my bike is extra loaded with side bags). Like @Alaskan said it is so simple to create your own route with a third software (i use komoot) and then import gpx to bosch web portal. Considering a long trip I do not think there are alternative solutions that offer same functionalities and reliability. Until today I have never had a freeze or a reset. Moreover, nyon is the only one that offers possibility to edit bosch' assistance values as you please, editing standard settings with customizable ones you can set in the menu. which other system let you do this? :)

I agree with most of what you say, with one important (to me, at least) caveat.

My comments at the time were based on looking at the German RM site and noting that only Intuvia and COBI were offered on all models, with Kiox on some, IIRC. And yes, we have a Nyon upgrade of sorts, but features have been disabled and all my data is gone.

So, I agree that Intuvia is history. I also have a COBI unit here, and the hardware does not inspire confidence and the latest firmware update has been repeatedly rejected. Not a crisis since I don’t use it, but still ....

I tend to ride very long distances away from home. I obviously wouldn’t have a laptop/desktop with me, which is pretty much the only way to load routes. The recent data wipeout makes me hesitate about pre-loading routes. Lost a bit of confidence here. And disabling features is a bit arbitrary in my view. If I were 1000 miles away from home while this were happening, I’d be very uncomfortable.

In September I was coming back from a long tour. Luckily, I was in the home stretch, coming down McArthur Blvd into DC. I heard the sound of something hitting the ground but I could not see anything. A while later I noticed the Nyon mask had popped off. Since I live in the US, it’s $50 to replace it. Ugh.

You are probably aware that Nyon is not officially supported here. This means no parts domestically, 1GB units on eBay, and the app has to come from some Chinese apk site since Bosch won’t let us download it. We are not a supported market. So, putting it all together, I found it to be a good temporary measure but not a realistic long-term solution, particularly for my application.

I agree with most of what you say, with one important (to me, at least) caveat.
My comments at the time were based on looking at the German RM site and noting that only Intuvia and COBI were offered on all models, with Kiox on some, IIRC. And yes, we have a Nyon upgrade of sorts, but features have been disabled and all my data is gone.
So, I agree that Intuvia is history. I also have a COBI unit here, and the hardware does not inspire confidence and the latest firmware update has been repeatedly rejected. Not a crisis since I don’t use it, but still ....
I tend to ride very long distances away from home. I obviously wouldn’t have a laptop/desktop with me, which is pretty much the only way to load routes. The recent data wipeout makes me hesitate about pre-loading routes. Lost a bit of confidence here. And disabling features is a bit arbitrary in my view. If I were 1000 miles away from home while this were happening, I’d be very uncomfortable.
In September I was coming back from a long tour. Luckily, I was in the home stretch, coming down McArthur Blvd into DC. I heard the sound of something hitting the ground but I could not see anything. A while later I noticed the Nyon mask had popped off. Since I live in the US, it’s $50 to replace it. Ugh.
You are probably aware that Nyon is not officially supported here. This means no parts domestically, 1GB units on eBay, and the app has to come from some Chinese apk site since Bosch won’t let us download it. We are not a supported market. So, putting it all together, I found it to be a good temporary measure but not a realistic long-term solution, particularly for my application.

Hi dbhelix, I read your words with great interest, mine were not expressly directed to you. :)
I understand that in the US nyon is not supported, although and probably if one item is not sold in my country I would not do any strange rounds to get it but I would focus on alternatives, as you did with cobi. In any case in europe the nyon is sold, supported and still works great and better than any alternative.

But let me better understand this thing of your lost data, deleted by whom and how? and what features would be limited or suppressed and how it relates to the loss of personal data on bosch's ebike-connect portal?
I (and bike shop who sold my R&M) have updated everything quickly and without hiccups, no loss data at all.

Maybe it's me that have not understood because of my poor english: the mask to which you refer of the nyon what part would it be? an aftermarket accessory or an original part of nyon? because I have no mask that can detach or pop away from the nyon, it feels like a solid, well assembled unique piece that, as you well know, applies exactly same as intuvia. Can be that your nyon was defective and not well assembled?

Concerning import of gpx data you can also create long tours and import them at once before leaving home. Or import it splitting the route for day by day use. Personally, when traveling for more than a weekend i carry a tablet with me for other reasons so I have no problems to do this operation during the journey. I suppose you can do this also visiting ebike connect portal from a smartphone. In any case it is not mandatory to import gpx data created by other platforms, you can use directly paths created by nyon at the moment, ok also the fast route tends a little to the offroad but not so much as not to be considered reliable. in short, I do not see it as an insurmountable problem, and you would still have this same problem using any alternative to nyon.

But, like you said, Nyon in US is not supported so i feel to fully suggest it just for users that lives in country where nyon is officialy sold. :)

Hi dbhelix, I read your words with great interest, mine were not expressly directed to you. :)
I understand that in the US nyon is not supported, although and probably if one item is not sold in my country I would not do any strange rounds to get it but I would focus on alternatives, as you did with cobi. In any case in europe the nyon is sold, supported and still works great and better than any alternative.

But let me better understand this thing of your lost data, deleted by whom and how? and what features would be limited or suppressed and how it relates to the loss of personal data on bosch's ebike-connect portal?
I (and bike shop who sold my R&M) have updated everything quickly and without hiccups, no loss data at all.

Maybe it's me that have not understood because of my poor english: the mask to which you refer of the nyon what part would it be? an aftermarket accessory or an original part of nyon? because I have no mask that can detach or pop away from the nyon, it feels like a solid, well assembled unique piece that, as you well know, applies exactly same as intuvia. Can be that your nyon was defective and not well assembled?

Concerning import of gpx data you can also create long tours and import them at once before leaving home. Or import it splitting the route for day by day use. Personally, when traveling for more than a weekend i carry a tablet with me for other reasons so I have no problems to do this operation during the journey. I suppose you can do this also visiting ebike connect portal from a smartphone. In any case it is not mandatory to import gpx data created by other platforms, you can use directly paths created by nyon at the moment, ok also the fast route tends a little to the offroad but not so much as not to be considered reliable. in short, I do not see it as an insurmountable problem, and you would still have this same problem using any alternative to nyon.

But, like you said, Nyon in US is not supported so i feel to fully suggest it just for users that lives in country where nyon is officialy sold. :)

Here is a link to what I called the mask:
https://www.jejamescycles.com/bosch-nyon-design-mask-anthracite-pre1821.html

I see the part at a lot of European sites so I assume I am not the only one to have it fly off.

Here in the US, only Purion and Intuvia are currently supported. Kiox is appearing on some 2019 RM models: Supercharger, Homage, Delite, Load but not on the Nevo.

COBI is/was a sad story. This was supposed to be the Intuvia upgrade. It was offered through the COBI store for a short while for about $249. Then one day in March ‘’18 I believe, the store stopped selling to US customers and the unit became unavailable to dealers. So no COBI right now. Is it offered in Europe?

Nyon features disabled: for me the big one was text messages. I haven’t seen it come back yet, not sure it ever will.

Unsupported Nyon units from eBay is more or less the only Intuvia alternative here. The default Kiox screen looks like the Nyon ride screen, so I’m assuming Nyon will never be a US product.

Here is a link to what I called the mask:
https://www.jejamescycles.com/bosch-nyon-design-mask-anthracite-pre1821.html

I see the part at a lot of European sites so I assume I am not the only one to have it fly off.

Here in the US, only Purion and Intuvia are currently supported. Kiox is appearing on some 2019 RM models: Supercharger, Homage, Delite, Load but not on the Nevo.

COBI is/was a sad story. This was supposed to be the Intuvia upgrade. It was offered through the COBI store for a short while for about $249. Then one day in March ‘’18 I believe, the store stopped selling to US customers and the unit became unavailable to dealers. So no COBI right now. Is it offered in Europe?

Nyon features disabled: for me the big one was text messages. I haven’t seen it come back yet, not sure it ever will.

Unsupported Nyon units from eBay is more or less the only Intuvia alternative here. The default Kiox screen looks like the Nyon ride screen, so I’m assuming Nyon will never be a US product.

Hi dblhelix!
i suppose this mask replacement is created for who fell and broke his nyon shell more than for who have lost a part poppin out. I still believe yours has been badly assembled at the beginning.
SMSon screen doesn't work also for me, I doesn't know if it is a disabled feature or maybe some smartphone not compatible, anyway it is not a primary functionality and I have sincerely not investigated too much, i will also if my helmet has bluetooth connection and 'audify' app read sms, whatsapp and telegram for me.
any other nyon disabled function?
Yes, Cobi is sold and supported here in europe. I think that bosch has created a lot of confusion having intuvia and nyon and then acquiring cobi too. And this confusion has increased by giving the cobi to US market and then removing it a few weeks later, like you clearly said. Now it seems they focus on kiox. In short, they could ave handle things in a more 'German' way: more precise and clear. Not this time.

I still believe yours has been badly assembled at the beginning.

Yes, Cobi is sold and supported here in europe.

Re: Nyon - Could be, very possible. Remember, our only source for these 1GB units is eBay. The units do not arrive in original packaging. For all I know these could be factory rejects. There are European vendors that will ship the 8GB kit.

Re: COBI - very interesting. A dealer here told me COBI is not offered in Europe and that COBI is getting a hardware/software redesign (In response to my questions about its abrupt withdrawal from the US market).

Re: COBI - very interesting. A dealer here told me COBI is not offered in Europe and that COBI is getting a hardware/software redesign (In response to my questions about its abrupt withdrawal from the US market).

It is possible bosch is thinking in a new Cobi, because it needs a better version. When I bought my R&M in june 18 Cobi was available in every official R&M dealer and if you try to configure online your bike on their official website (international) Cobi is still available at 173 euro approx.

Attachments

• rm.png
    rm.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 742
It is possible bosch is thinking in a new Cobi, because it needs a better version. When I bought my R&M in june 18 Cobi was available in every official R&M dealer and if you try to configure online your bike on their official website (international) Cobi is still available at 173 euro approx.

Fascinating. Very interesting that COBI is more expensive than Kiox.

If you (or anyone here) owns the 6A charger, I would love to know if it is dual input voltage like the 4A charger.

I can create a route on Google Maps, easily convert it to a GPX file, upload that to my Bosch portal and find it on both of my Nyons within moments of them booting up.

How does Nyon receive data if its not connected to a Wi-Fi?

How does Nyon receive data if its not connected to a Wi-Fi?
I am fairly certain that Nyon uses my home wifi to receive routes that have been created and saved on the ebike connect web portal. However Nyon also connects to my android phone via Bluetooth.

The recently updated app has the capability of creating routes to be transfered to the Nyon. I have not explored this and am not sure if the route created on phone transfers via wifi or Bluetooth. I suspect Bluetooth but cannot confirm this. If it did so out in the field away from my home wifi, this would confirm Bluetooth route transmission.

Bosch has created real confusion as regards their display plans and needs to clarify where it is going. Nyon is a quite well thought out and reasonably mature product. Reports on Kiox indicate it is sorely lacking and was released to the public in early beta form. Intuvia is basic but solid and reliable. Purion is too basic and shares precious little of the system's available info with the rider.

Last edited:
Back