Now the backlight went out on my display...

What else can go wrong on these 2016 Turbo S's.

12g4bo.jpg

You can turn the backlight on and/or off from the handlebar control. Check the user manual. On the base Turbo the procedure works this way:

I called Specialized and figured out how to set Backlight and Units. The trick is to NOT use the information on the top of page 15 of the base Turbo manual. That is for an older version of the bike. For the 2016 bikes, Start with the first pictogram. From a battery off mode, you push the joystick in its center position for 10 seconds while holding the power button for 3 seconds (I had to count to make it work). This puts you in Units setup. You then can set units as described in the manual. Hit the joystick in the center position and you go into Backlight setup. This is changed as documented. Hit the joystick again and you go to normal run mode.

The procedure documented at the top of page 15 in text puts you in the Battery Temp/SW Version Number screen. Important to know is that the SW Version Number (Ver 01 on mine) is the version of the handlebar controller, NOT the battery. Battery firmware can only be read and/or updated through the dealer diagnostic cable.

Doug

Last edited:
On my 2014 there is a bug that keeps me from getting into the menu for setting the backlight or km to miles etc. I had to have the dealer change the backlight to always on with their software. I assumed it's fixed in later versions.

You can turn the backlight on and/or off from the handlebar control. Check the user manual. On the base Turbo the procedure works this way:

I called Specialized and figured out how to set Backlight and Units. The trick is to NOT use the information on the top of page 15 of the base Turbo manual. That is for an older version of the bike. For the 2016 bikes, Start with the first pictogram. From a battery off mode, you push the joystick in its center position for 10 seconds while holding the power button for 3 seconds (I had to count to make it work). This puts you in Units setup. You then can set units as described in the manual. Hit the joystick in the center position and you go into Backlight setup. This is changed as documented. Hit the joystick again and you go to normal run mode.

The procedure documented at the top of page 15 in text puts you in the Battery Temp/SW Version Number screen. Important to know is that the SW Version Number (Ver 01 on mine) is the version of the handlebar controller, NOT the battery. Battery firmware can only be read and/or updated through the dealer diagnostic cable.

Doug
Mine says version 02, but like I thought the BL is still set to Y because I know I didn't change it. But you can't turn it completely off in the settings anyway. Only 2 options are always on or on for 5 sec.
Mine is just dead I think. Typical for what has been going on with my 2 "different bikes".

What else can go wrong on these 2016 Turbo S's.

I had a 2016 Turbo S for 3 days back in November 2015 before I gave it back to them. In 3- days:

1. Charger failed immediately (replaced)
2. Every time I charged the bike, the odometer would reset to zero (not the trip mileage)
3. The motor through a fault code to Mission Control app and the bike shut down. I couldn't restart it for hours. Finally after about 100 attempts it restarted.
4. Backlight on the display stopped working.
5. The best I could charge the battery was 92%. It would initially read 100% but as soon as I began pedaling, it would drop to 92%.

How's that for a $7000 bike?

My 2014 Turbo S went through 3 new displays over 2 years. The backlight burned out on all of them. The last display is now stuck in kph instead of mph...but at least the backlight works. We couldn't get the display into setup mode. The dealer spent a month trying to fix the display and finally gave up.

Yup same issue here with the backlight - not a major and they have sent a replacement unit. Still, not good on such an expensive bike.

Mind you, 7000km on mine so far, and a twice failed remote is not too bad for an ebike.

Just got back from Specialized dealer and they swapped display with a new display. It's new improved display instead of a smal cable underneath display on the old model they made some changes a short cable goes into a new connector device and zipped to the handlebar. Is much better solution. It happened to me a few time when I parked my bike outside grocery store and the display cable got hooked into handlebar on the bike next into mine. If their other bike own is not carful and yanked to get out his bike it could easily broke my display cable or other way around.

Image001.jpg IMG_0530.jpg

Just got back from Specialized dealer and they swapped display with a new display. It's new improved display instead of a smal cable underneath display on the old model they made some changes a short cable goes into a new connector device and zipped to the handlebar. Is much better solution. It happened to me a few time when I parked my bike outside grocery store and the display cable got hooked into handlebar on the bike next into mine. If their other bike own is not carful and yanked to get out his bike it could easily broke my display cable or other way around.

View attachment 7451 View attachment 7454
I have the same display in my Turbo FLR 2016. No problems with the display so far (1 month and a half of use). I was wondering if it's better to protect it with some nylon when it's raining. I do not trust too much in waterproof electronics (I don't remember reading in the manual that was waterproof though). Which dealer did you replace the screen? I am interested to know, as the bike shop where I bought the bike knows nothing about Turbos.

I bought my Turbo S 2015 okt. My first display lasted to July and I have been riding couple of times in rain and wet snow condition is problem display still work. This time my second display I haven't ride in rain as I can remember since they replaced it for me. The backlight just suddenly went out it was working perfectly day before.

The local Specialized dealer said is waterproof in extend is not pouring water with a hose or submerige in water. Riding in the rain it's OK. And it's funny if it's water damage it shouldn't be only the backlight effected one may think.

My display was going off and resetting over bumps before it finally went dead. I tried to reset the bike by taking out the battery, reconnecting the display...motor, but nothing. Just sent in a query for a replacement, so now I'm waiting for the replacement. On a side note, the display is out but the bike stays in full turbo mode without the ability to switch modes.

Back