New Vados, Comos, and TERA!

I can’t speak for all of North America but the full Vado line up (including 4.0) shows up for me on the US store page.
I checked at my favorite local LBS and most models won’t be available until April 2022. One mode will be available in January. (I didn’t pay enough attention as to which was which.)

I like the Tero design concept, but they’re likely to be too heavy for me to handle. My Vado SL 4 is at the top level of what I can lift into my car. I’d also have to buy a different way of storing in my garage as my Zero Gravity lift rack won’t handle the weight either.

My new fantasy design would be a 15-18 kilo (lighter would be fun but not required) gravel/fitness design with flat handlebars, 700c 42 or so tires, 10-12 cassette, 60 to 100 mile range, lights, at least a pannier rack, suspension seat post and some sort of shock absorption on the front fork or stem, comfort channel saddle. Oh, less than $4k.

Last edited:
I checked at my favorite local LBS and most models won’t be available until April 2022. One mode will be available in January. (I didn’t pay enough attention as to which was which.)

I like the Tero design concept, but they’re likely to be too heavy for me to handle. My Vado SL 4 is at the top level of what I can lift into my car. I’d also have to buy a different way of storing in my garage as my Zero Gravity lift rack won’t handle the weight either.

My new fantasy design would be a 15-18 kilo (lighter would be fun bu trot required) gravel/fitness design with flat handlebars, 700c 42 or so tires, 10-12 cassette, 60 to 100 mile range, lights, at least a pannier rack, suspension seat post and some sort of shock absorption on the front fork or stem, comfort channel saddle. Oh, less than $4k.
Yep. To be clear, I’m only pointing out they will be sold here. Availability in this market is a totally different point. I’m personally waiting to test ride the IGH version. I plan to move from car to ebike for commuting next year when weather is decent and I’m in no rush as we approach winter. But I don’t want the extra maintenance on a chain drive for a daily commuter. I’m willing to spend the extra on it.

Roland:
The best bang for the buck is with the version 4.0, which is offered in Europe but not in North America (I think). Version 5.0 (new Vado) is recommended if:
  • You live in a hilly area, and/or
  • You plan longer trips.
The 5.0 is equipped with a 90 Nm motor (one of the strongest in its class), while the 3.0 comes with a 60 Nm economic motor. The 5.0 has the large 710 Wh battery, while the 530 Wh one of the 3.0 is hardly adequate nowadays. Next: The drivetrain of 5.0 is expensive to maintain but the one offered with 3.0 (Shimano Alivio) is at the budget level: Nothing wrong with that (one of my e-bikes is equipped with Alivio), just be aware of that.

The radar: Is it necessary (installed on 5.0 but only Varia-ready on 3.0)? Not. You can just use a rear-view mirror or buy Garmin Varia later.

IGH or not? IGH makes the e-bike more expensive. The IGH optionally used on some 3.0 Vados is not of the highest class.
I believe Stefan is right and that the new Vado 4.0 will be the best combination of features and value for the money. Personally, I am excited to see these new bikes and I think IGH and belt drive technology is the future. That said, however, I only just bought my Vado 3.0 and it works great for me, so I have no plans to upgrade. Also, I got a chuckle out of an earlier post that noted the new bikes don't come in blue and I have to admit that is also an issue for me, too. I know it is silly, but there it is, and I am the same way with the cars I buy. For me, my bike upgrades will be limited to a more upright riding position and also (probably) the 604wh battery. I see the battery mounting is now completely different on the new Vados vs. the last generation, but I wonder if the new batteries themselves will fit the old Vados. Does anyone know the answer to this or am I jumping too far ahead? I may not need a 710wh battery, but if it would work with my bike the additional range might be nice to have. 😎

I see the battery mounting is now completely different on the new Vados vs. the last generation, but I wonder if the new batteries themselves will fit the old Vados.
No, they wouldn't. I wouldn't blame Specialized for their development. What they are doing is breath-taking. Especially on the marketing side.

the 604wh battery
The best buy, trust me :)

Once I bought my Vado (equipped with a 604 Wh battery), I tended to ride farther and farther. The purchase of another 604 Wh battery (with a cover) eventually allowed me to do "epic" mountain rides, and the imperial century in the flatland...

Whelp. Just ordered a high step Vado 5.0 IGH for me and mid step Vado 5.0 IGH for my wife. Our LBS had delivery for us as April and could preorder today. It was $5500 for the IGH vs $5000 for the Chain Drive. Got both in red.

We know our LBS really well and with how fast things are selling, they were fine ordering for us with $0 deposit.

Whelp. Just ordered a high step Vado 5.0 IGH for me and mid step Vado 5.0 IGH for my wife. Our LBS had delivery for us as April and could preorder today. It was $5500 for the IGH vs $5000 for the Chain Drive. Got both in red.

We know our LBS really well and with how fast things are selling, they were fine ordering for us with $0 deposit.
OUCH! APRIL???

OUCH! APRIL???
For the IGH (belt drive). Even the website says “2022” so that’s not bad. They are getting chain drive in Jan/Feb at my specific store. Dates are also subject to change.

I was debating between black and red. Black was listed as August 2022 soooooo….

Anyone know what IGH stands for?

Also, isn't a belt drive system much less efficient than a chain based one?

Just curious. I'm eyeing that Tero IGH 😁

Integrated Gear Hub
Why? Belt is as efficient as chain and don't require maintenance and replacement for a very long time.
IHG may be not that efficient as derailleurs, but the difference is very minor and won't be noticeable. What will be noticeable is the weight - Enviolo which Specialized is using is heavy (~2.5kg).

Just curious. I'm eyeing that Tero IGH 😁
Internally Geared Hub. Although this is a CVT and changes “gear ratio” not actual gears.

Yes, chains are more efficient than this specific hub, but that’s also what the battery and motor are for. They are less maintenance and more ideal (imo) for commuting. Especially when I don’t have a lot of free time to replace chains and cassettes for the whole family right now.

It’s also nice for things like the Tero off-road if you’re in the mud a lot. Belt can’t fall off like chain and isn’t hard to clean and no need to re l-oil. But it does cost more, so if you do have the time, $500 buys a lot of chains and cassettes.

Belt can serve 10000km, how many chains and cassettes you need for this? I doubt $500 will be enough...
I’m just saying the bikes are $500 different in cost. So if you spend $50 every 3000 miles and only do 3000 per year, it would take 10 years to pay that $500 in just maintenance savings. I’ll do double that and have soft benefit, so makes sense to me since I have the disposable income. For others, I get why not.

Not at all. Also, try to repair a flat with an IGH.

No chain has ever fallen off any of my e-bikes.

I might search youtube but in the interim - how do you change a flat? And maybe that's why you go tubeless (g)

And my chain came off the front ring on my Creo on an uphill. It also got jammed in there. I was very careful not to bend or break the damn thing.

No chain has ever fallen off any of my e-bikes.
Doesn't change the fact chain can came off and this happens periodically, especially when chain/cog/cassette need replacement.
try to repair a flat with an IGH
So far was lucky enough not to face this problem, but it is happens, it is just a bit more complex than with chain (you have couple more screws to get the wheel out). Biggest problem will probably be belt tension, but it is also not a deal breaker.

Last edited:
I might search youtube but in the interim - how do you change a flat? And maybe that's why you go tubeless (g)
I don’t understand the “it’s hard” argument. I just watched a shop in Austin so one today on YouTube. It’s not hard. Just a few extra steps. I plan to run Tannus Armor anyway. My wife is a full time mom and my commute is 6 miles, so calling for backup or a pickup isn’t hard for
Biggest problem will probably be belt tension, but it is also not a deal breaker.
I have a lot of tools for wrenching on my car already anyway. I plan to buy the belt tensioning tool to add to my tool kit I keep with me. Have you tried the app on yours? Not sure how much I trust the app over a tool.

Does the 4.0 come with the IGH option. Are there any downsides to it, aside from flat repairs?

Sounds like if I want one I might need to go to my LBS and get a preorder in already! Crazy.

Does the 4.0 come with the IGH option. Are there any downsides to it, aside from flat repairs?

Sounds like if I want one I might need to go to my LBS and get a preorder in already! Crazy.
The press release I just found shows an IGH option on all Como and Vado modes EXCEPT the Vado 4.0. If the Como 4.0 has one, I struggle to think the Vado 4.0 doesn’t. So you may need to check with your LBS to be sure.

Good color choice 'cause it's well documented that RED us the fasterest color! 🤣

Back