New Vados, Comos, and TERA!

I might search youtube but in the interim - how do you change a flat? And maybe that's why you go tubeless (g)
I have to say that going tubeless is no guarantee of no flats. With that said, I don't run tubeless setups on any of my bikes, but my MTBing sons have done so since high school (they're in their 30s now!). They also carry tire plug kits, use a tire sealant, carry a spare tube, and a CO2 inflator 'cause it can be a long walk back to a trail head...just sayin'...😎

It is very interesting to see Specialized introducing new Vado and Vado step-through to replace the current models but it's confusing with the Como. They only introduced the new Como as a step-through model and I wonder if they will come out with another Como "high-step" like in the current generation.

They only introduced the new Como as a step-through model and I wonder if they will come out with another Como "high-step" like in the current generation.
I think the whole idea behind the Como is to make it as much as comfortable as possible...

And my chain came off the front ring on my Creo on an uphill.
I have never seen a road bike with a belt drive :)

And maybe that's why you go tubeless (g)
You cannot go tubeless on wheels designed for tubed tyres :D As @Sierratim pointed out elsewhere, going tubeless doesn't prevent flats; it might save your ride but there are situations under which you have to remove the tubeless tyre for field repair. As I don't know details of removing an Enviolo wheel, I can only assume that's tricky. And now the worst: If your e-bike gets sprayed with the sealant, it is very difficult to clean the bike later of the latex.

The single situation when a tubeless tyre saved my ride in "wilderness" resulted in staining the headtube of my Giant Trance E+ to the level the tube is covered with latex until this day... Messy business!
Doesn't change the fact chain can came off and this happens periodically, especially when chain/cog/cassette need replacement.
It happens more often to road bikes (such as Creo) than to e-bikes based on MTB technology such as Vado, Como, Tero. Funny to think the chain has never popped on one of my e-bikes equipped with inexpensive Alivio 3x drivetrain.
I just watched a shop in Austin so one today on YouTube.
"Shop" is the keyword. Do that in the field.

Are there any downsides to it, aside from flat repairs?
Less efficient than the chain. Probably heavier than the chain system. Still, there are people in love in belt drive/IGH. The point I'm personally afraid of is any possible breakdown of the belt/IGH will require an intervention of qualified service while the chain/derailleur system can be serviced by any bike mechanic or even by the e-bike owner. (I'm paranoiac about such things and don't let me tell you off the IGH if you want it).

Hi,

I preordered the Como 4 in sand color for my wife. I need the XL and hope they introduce the Como 5 in XL.

I rented a Como in the summer of 2019 in Boulder and loved it. I took it 3000 feet up Flagstaff mountain and it still had power to burn when I turned around at the mountain fire station.

Can anyone tell what version the bike was? It was a beast, super comfortable and responsive. Specialized has nailed it. I put many miles on it during that trip.

Is there anything better than the Como for that kind of comfortable ride but also a lively feel and great handling?

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_4266.JPG
    IMG_4266.JPG
    616.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1249.JPG
    IMG_1249.JPG
    613.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
I think people are in love with the IDEA of an IGH and belt system.

Should have a pretty good warranty considering the IGH should last forever and the belt quite a while.

"Shop" is the keyword. Do that in the field.
I would recommend checking it out and learning about it. It’s basically 1 extra step to undo the linkage on the shifter or plug for e-shift. I think your assumption is incorrect. You don’t need the frame breakaway because you don’t take the belt out with the wheel on.

I think people are in love with the IDEA of an IGH and belt system.

Should have a pretty good warranty considering the IGH should last forever and the belt quite a while.
I know that I was in love with the "idea" of an IGH before I bought my bikes, but the idea of traveling the USA with bikes in the van and trying to find a bike shop that could fix IGH issues at the intersection of "No" and "Where" made me go with a derailleur that any shop can fix.

I know that I was in love with the "idea" of an IGH before I bought my bikes, but the idea of traveling the USA with bikes in the van and trying to find a bike shop that could fix IGH issues at the intersection of "No" and "Where" made me go with a derailleur that any shop can fix.
It's all fun and games til someones wiener falls into the fire:).

On the branded e-bikes this argument doesn't make any sense. What you will do in the middle of nowhere when you e-bike will require attention to the battery or motor? You will be looking for the dealer who can service the bike (and it won't be any shop). Same for IGH - probability for it to fail is same as probability for electric part of e-bike to fail (or even lower).

Ability yo fix derailleur in the field yourself makes sense when you have a regular bike with all the parts you can service and fix yourself.

On the branded e-bikes this argument doesn't make any sense. What you will do in the middle of nowhere when you e-bike will require attention to the battery or motor? You will be looking for the dealer who can service the bike (and it won't be any shop). Same for IGH - probability for it to fail is same as probability for electric part of e-bike to fail (or even lower).

Ability yo fix derailleur in the field yourself makes sense when you have a regular bike with all the parts you can service and fix yourself.
I like your points. I guess the same might be said of electric cars. Can the AAA jump start a Tesler?

Here's some Sheldon Brown info, I'm not sold on the IGH for the ebikes yet, but I am glad there are others who are interested. Maybe someday...... Now if Spec would build a cargo ebike.....

Most of the Shimano IGHs were designed/created in pre-ebike period (and all mentioned on the link above), so they are not build to handle the e-bikes motors torque. However modern generation of IGHs are much more robust for this: Shimano Nexus 5E, Rohloff, Kindernay, Enviolo all have versions designed for e-bikes and capable to handle what motors throw on them. Honestly, I am considering IGH as one of the most reliable and issue-free parts of the modern bikes and e-bikes (especially when paired with belt drive).

When I was shopping ( only bike shop bikes ) the only LBS that would touch an IGH was one Giant dealership ... not Trek or Specialized. And both of those would work on some electrical stuff for bikes they don't sell, unlike the Giant dealer.

Not a proprietary motor or battery replacement, of course, but wiring, lights, etc. And controller/motor failures on these seem really rare from what I see on this forum. YMMV.

Agree. The Como line has always been Specialized's comfort, laid back bike. I'm curious to see if one or both current Como and Como low-entry will be discontinued. My best guess is they will keep the current Como.
Certainly the Como's comfort was a big deal for me. But then I was comparing it to that torture instrument Specialized calls a Vado ... 😄

Back