New Vados, Comos, and TERA!

How about they sell the bike with both chainrings and let the consumer decide?😳
Marcela, now I don't get you :) Please explain. What version, what chainring?

By the way (in case you missed that info): I replaced the 48T chainring of my Vado with a 38T before my mountain holiday. The best decision ever. My Vado has become a perfect climber, it accelerates like a rocket, and I can still get on high speed as I developed a very high cadence :) Just saying.

By the way (in case you missed that info): I replaced the 48T chainring of my Vado with a 38T before my mountain holiday. The best decision ever. My Vado has become a perfect climber, it accelerates like a rocket, and I can still get on high speed as I developed a very high cadence :) Just saying.
I guess my Creo has a 46T chainring. The crankset is Praxis forged alloy M30 custom offset.
I wonder if getting a smaller one, if one fits its bolt pattern, would make me a bit happier or more relaxed on some of our steeper climbs.

The found in the listed specs are: Sunrace, 11-speed, alloy spider, 11-42t

I’d always prefer the class 3, doesn’t cost anymore than a 1. Changing the ring to the 36, you’re going to spin out and never reach 28 mph anyway, kind of self limiting. Just 8 mph difference, you’d think the class 1 would go away but it’s here now to save the world so some of us are stuck with it…

I’d always prefer the class 3, doesn’t cost anymore than a 1.
Trail-worthy e-bikes usually are of Class 1 (you should be aware of legal considerations of the United States regarding National Parks better than I am). Don't expect being a speed demon from a mountain bike: they are designed to be perfect climbers for rough terrain.

Moreover, Tero has geometry that won't allow installing a bigger chainring: there would be not enough of clearance to the chainstay.
Changing the ring to the 36, you’re going to spin out and never reach 28 mph anyway, kind of self limiting. Just 8 mph difference, you’d think the class 1 would go away but it’s here now to save the world so some of us are stuck with it…
Spin out?
1632886623922.png

By no means is cadence of 103 unattainable for an experienced cyclist such as I am.

1632886781548.png

My own KOM of 9/12/21: I was riding my Vado with a 38T chainring.

Last edited:
I guess my Creo has a 46T chainring. The crankset is Praxis forged alloy M30 custom offset.
I wonder if getting a smaller one, if one fits its bolt pattern, would make me a bit happier or more relaxed on some of our steeper climbs.

The found in the listed specs are: Sunrace, 11-speed, alloy spider, 11-42t

the wolf tooth 110 BCD drop stop chain rings fit the 5 bolt (some creos have 4 bolt) spider on the creo perfectly. they have quite a range of sizes. i put a 42t on mine. the bike climbs much better!

you can also change the rear cassette but it's a bit more involved, some will also require changing the driver.

Sad news from Specialized:
> Unfortunately the Vado SL will not be compatible with the new TCU display, and the lock feature is only available on the new bikes. All three new bikes are an entirely new design, and the TCU is part of the new design and will only work with the new bikes. I'm sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

This was in direct response to my question, having purchase a Vado 4.0 SL EQ a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
> Unfortunately the Vado SL will not be compatible with the new TCU display, and the lock feature is only available on the new bikes. All three new bikes are an entirely new design, and the TCU is part of the new design and will only work with the new bikes. I'm sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

This was in direct response to my question, having purchase a Vado 4.0 SL EQ a few weeks ago.
That was to be expected. Why worry? Yes, everybody would like to own the latest and greatest but the pre-2022 Specialized e-bikes have already been excellent! The 2022 Vado SL is not any better than the 2020/2021 ones; it is just different. I'm not excited with the new colour display that sits between your legs; or with encrypted data transmission.

In June, I could have placed a pre-order for a 2022 Vado SL that I would get in December or January. I decided to buy the older model on the spot and that let me spend a wonderful summer with a 2020 SL that serves me everyday. (And it is easy to derestrict unlike the 2022 models). Some people prefer to own but other prefer to ride.

Now, fancy an MTB aficionado who's just bought a 2021 Turbo Levo to discover Specialized announced a new 2022 model that is totally different from the 2021 one: he might be sick from the buyer's remorse. But it was the same earlier when the 27.5" wheel Levos were replaced with 29" ones. Why worry?

1632957970776.png

Last edited:

they’re saying this….. but it seems very odd given that people have swapped the new TCU onto older Levos, and the 2022 creo comes with the new TCU but appears otherwise identical in terms of battery and motor to the previous SL. personally... I bet it works but is not supported.

the new TCU onto older Levos
What is the source of this information? Where have they got the Mastermind TCU from?

Regarding the new motors: I could watch an interview with a Specialized Poland guy. He said the new 2.x motors are redesigned with more durable belt drive and a new internal connector that is more watertight. The new anti-theft device might be inside the motor unit.

Last edited:
That was to be expected. Why worry? Yes, everybody would like to own the latest and greatest but the pre-2022 Specialized e-bikes have been already been excellent! The 2022 Vado SL is not any better than the 2020/2021 ones; it is just different. I'm not excited with the new colour display that sits between your legs; or with encrypted data transmission.

In June, I could have placed a pre-order for a 2022 Vado SL that I would get in December or January. I decided to buy the older model on the spot and that let me spend a wonderful summer with a 2020 SL that serves me everyday. (And it is easy to derestrict unlike the 2022 models). Some people prefer to own but other prefer to ride.

Now, fancy an MTB aficionado who's just bought a 2021 Turbo Levo to discover Specialized announced a new 2022 model that is totally different from the 2021 one: he might be sick from the buyer's remorse. But it was the same earlier when the 27.5" wheel Levos were replaced with 29" ones. Why worry?

View attachment 101729
Stefan, I agree with you completely and used the same logic in April when I decided to grab a brand new 2019 Vado 3 rather than wait for a new 2021 Vado 3. The 2019 has the old Blok display, but it also has the more powerful motor, better shifter, 10 speeds instead of 9, better brakes, and, because it was 2 years old, it was being offered at a significant discount. It was available in the color I wanted and the frame size I needed and for a first e-bike I decided it was the perfect place to start. Would I rather have a new Vado 4? Yes and no. If it were a gift I certainly would not turn it down! But am I willing to pay for it? No, I am not. It would certainly be fun, but I don't care for the 2022 colors and I can't see paying a $1,200 premium just to have the newest and greatest. I hate to admit it, but the truth is my 2019 Vado 3 is still a lot more bike than I am rider and I have a long way to go before I will be able to justify buying a new one. For all the people who can and do get a 2022, congratulations and more power to them! But for me, personally, I am still thrilled with mine and don't feel any remorse at all that I jumped in when I did vs. waiting for the 2022 models.

Stefan, I agree with you completely and used the same logic in April when I decided to grab a brand new 2019 Vado 3 rather than wait for a new 2021 Vado 3. The 2019 has the old Blok display, but it also has the more powerful motor, better shifter, 10 speeds instead of 9, better brakes, and, because it was 2 years old, it was being offered at a significant discount. It was available in the color I wanted and the frame size I needed and for a first e-bike I decided it was the perfect place to start. Would I rather have a new Vado 4? Yes and no. If it were a gift I certainly would not turn it down! But am I willing to pay for it? No, I am not. It would certainly be fun, but I don't care for the 2022 colors and I can't see paying a $1,200 premium just to have the newest and greatest. I hate to admit it, but the truth is my 2019 Vado 3 is still a lot more bike than I am rider and I have a long way to go before I will be able to justify buying a new one. For all the people who can and do get a 2022, congratulations and more power to them! But for me, personally, I am still thrilled with mine and don't feel any remorse at all that I jumped in when I did vs. waiting for the 2022 models.
Jim: You can talk to the LBS. Specialized had a programme to replace the BLOCKS with the TCD-w. Is it still on the warranty? Ask the LBS!

I bought a 2017 Vado in 2019 and had the BLOKS replaced with TCD-w on warranty! No cost!

Last edited:
but the truth is my 2019 Vado 3 is still a lot more bike than I am rider and I have a long way to go before I will be able to justify buying a new one
@Jim in Central CA: When I think I would buy yet another e-bike, I always ask myself this question: "Will the new e-bike make me a better cyclist?" And the answer now is "No". Yes, Vado SL is making me a better cyclist; that's why I bought it. I can dream of Tero but Tero wouldn't make me a better cyclist (I used to own an FS Giant e-MTB, and it didn't).

the wolf tooth 110 BCD drop stop chain rings fit the 5 bolt (some creos have 4 bolt) spider on the creo perfectly. they have quite a range of sizes. i put a 42t on mine. the bike climbs much better!

you can also change the rear cassette but it's a bit more involved, some will also require changing the driver.
If I may pick your brain (not your bike lock)?

To change the chain ring requires what type of effort or skill? :D I imagine the crank needs to be removed to gain access to the chain ring. I did not look at the type of bolts but I do have FIVE. I am far from a bike mechanic!!!!! But learning might be good if I decided to play with differing sizes. Mine is currently a 46t.

If I may pick your brain (not your bike lock)?

To change the chain ring requires what type of effort or skill? :D I imagine the crank needs to be removed to gain access to the chain ring. I did not look at the type of bolts but I do have FIVE. I am far from a bike mechanic!!!!! But learning might be good if I decided to play with differing sizes. Mine is currently a 46t.

chain ring ... almost no skill needed. you don't even need to remove the crank. remove chain from front ring, unscrew five bolts, remove chain ring, reverse. good to have a torque wrench, some loctite, etc. depending on how much you change the size, you'll need to add or remove links from your chain, which requires an easy to use but $20 or so tool.

chain ring ... almost no skill needed. you don't even need to remove the crank. remove chain from front ring, unscrew five bolts, remove chain ring, reverse. good to have a torque wrench, some loctite, etc. depending on how much you change the size, you'll need to add or remove links from your chain, which requires an easy to use but $20 or so tool.
Just looked at a youtube video. Seems like I could accomplish this!

Now I wonder if a 38 or 42 would be appropriate and make a difference from my existing 46!

Just looked at a youtube video. Seems like I could accomplish this!

Now I wonder if a 38 or 42 would be appropriate and make a difference from my existing 46!

42 made a very noticeable difference for me. 38 is pretty extreme - if you're not also changing the rear cassette (which i did) that's going to kill your top speed. you'll be spinning out on any downhill!!

I’m waiting for something with a banana seat and some real handlebars!
New information just in—

Are banana seats comfortable?​

Although banana seats were mainly a styling feature, the longer shape allowed manufacturers to include more padding. Extra padding, along with the additional seat area, provided greater comfort.

Unexpectedly then, banana seat bikes were also found to be practical. The length allowed the rider to adjust his position on the bike for greater comfort and banana seats provided more padding and greater seating area. The seat design was typically more comfortable than a regular saddle.

Anybody want to ride double?

Was hoping to do ABUS Keyed Alike and only need 1 key since that's who Specialized has used the last few years. Looks like 2022 they have swapped to AXA instead. At least it doesn't come with the frame lock, like Gazelle, where it requires a captive key. Bonus side I guess, I can order all my locks keyed-alike now so they're ready for my bike though. Could probably change the cylinder if I really cared, but I doubt I'll remove the battery often enough to care.

2022 Vado Keys.PNG

Back