New Vados, Comos, and TERA!

Looking at the 2022 models side by side it is clear that these two bikes are really diverging.
I own both an older Vado 5.0 and a newer Vado SL 4.0. You choose SL for recreation and fitness and for nothing else. Think in these terms:
-- Am I capable to ride a traditional bike for 11 miles at cruising speed of 18 mph at any weather conditions and at any time of the day?
If the answer to the above is "No" then your choice is the full power Vado.

-- Can you charge your e-bike indoors? "No"? It is the Vado then.

-- Do you need to be able to carry your e-bike upstairs with a single hand? "No"? Vado.

-- Do you want to come to work with no sweat on? "Yes"? Vado.

-- Need a silent motor? "Yes"? Vado.

1633278346896.png

My Vado 5.0 today. 10,000 km in 23 months on this e-bike alone (I used to own 4 e-bikes).

Last edited:
[the 2022 fork] It's tremendous improvement.
How so? The 2021 fork is listed as a Suntour NCX E25 with 40 mm of travel which must be some sort of proprietary fork that Suntour makes for Specialized because that particular model is found nowhere on the Suntour web site and the photos of the 2021 show no model markings on the fork. It is jet black with no branding: https://www.srsuntour.com/products/fork/

The 2022 Vado fork is a Rockshox Recon Silver RL, 80mm travel which is this model: https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-rcns-rl-d1
SRAM is more expensive to maintain.
How so?

It is instructive to study the photos of the 2021 and 2022 Vado 5.0 models side by side. They really are completely new bikes from the frame-up with entirely different componentry. Virtually nothing is the same from 2021 to 2022 except maybe the seat and pedals. All the other components are different and the frame is radically different. The 2022 model looks much more optimized for cargo with the far more robust and versatile rear rack and fork mounted light as well as the promised option of a front rack. Routing the brake and sifter cables into the side of the downtube rather than the front of the head tube may also be with the intent of making better space in front of the bike for cargo as it should be easier to route the cables around on either side of a rack or front bag.

This is the 2021 model

51546882189_35e3c389ae_b.jpg

This is the 2022 model

51546882159_9cef8c91a9_b.jpg

Last edited:
How so? The 2021 fork is listed as a Suntour NCX E25 with 40 mm of travel which must be some sort of proprietary fork that Suntour makes for Specialized because that particular model is found nowhere on the Suntour web site and the photos of the 2021 show no model markings on the fork. It is jet black with no branding: https://www.srsuntour.com/products/fork/

The 2022 Vado fork is a Rockshox Recon Silver RL, 80mm travel which is this model: https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-rcns-rl-d1
If you ask me, Suntour used to make mediocre quality, 50 mm of travel, coil loaded forks for Specialized. Rockshox is a SRAM division and is known for quality forks. With Rockshox Recon Silver RL, you are getting air spring and 80 mm of travel. What is unclear?

SRAM drivetrains are more expensive to maintain than Shimano ones (the same level of groupset discussed). It is because SRAM is a far smaller company than Shimano, and SRAM also maintains higher price of their components for prestige. Think of a cassette replacement. (You even might want to use SRAM chains for 100% compatibility). Brakes: You need to use less popular SRAM brake pads.

It is instructive to study the photos of the 2021 and 2022 Vado 5.0 models side by side. They really are completely new bikes from the frame-up with entirely different componentry. Virtually nothing is the same from 2021 to 2022 except maybe the seat and pedals. All the other components are different and the frame is radically different. The 2022 model looks much more optimized for cargo with the far more robust and versatile rear rack and fork mounted light as well as the promised option of a front rack. Routing the brake and sifter cables into the side of the downtube rather than the front of the head tube may also be with the intent of making better space in front of the bike for cargo as it should be easier to route the cables around on either side of a rack or front bag.
Totally agree. What is different is the older Vado has more sporty character while the new one is more a SUV, especially the version with the belt drive and Internally Geared Hub.

P.S. I take my older Vado 5.0 anywhere. I would hesitate to stain the new beautiful 2022 Vado here:

1633288741162.png

For instance, I don't take my Vado SL 4.0 for mountain road rides (too weak for my bad legs to really climb), and I avoid staining the SL off-road (too nice). My Vado 5.0/6.0 is an all-rounder.

Last edited:
With the 2022 models, I think I would go with a Vado over Como, the opposite of the 2021 models. Looks like assist is to 28 mph. Could that be adjusted down in previous years' models through the display or Mission Control?

Vado has a better rack and fenders than the Vado SL.
And it looks like the 2022 version of the Vado has really upped their game in terms of racks and has re-designed the front end to take an optional front rack as well. The rear rack is substantially more robust and with near double the weight capacity as the 2021 model so it is supposed to be usable for child carriers and for towing trailers (although all the trailers that I’ve towed have attached at the axle). They lowered the headlight so that it is fork mounted rather than handlebar mounted which I suspect is to keep it from being blocked by a front rack and bag as would be the case with a bar mounted headlight. But without seeing the promised optional front rack I can’t be sure. But it does look like they are thinking about how to make the front cockpit more cargo friendly.

But they are definitely turning the Vado into more of a high-performance utility bike with much larger cargo capacity than the previous version. Which for me is reason enough to wait for the 2022 model rather than picking up one of the older 2021 models that might still be on the shop floors. I plan to use the bike for winter commuting and grocery errands and having the larger cargo capacity and wider selection of bags is a big plus for me. Specialized is also coming out with new panniers for these bikes as well. I much prefer carrying cargo on the bike rather than on my back with a backpack or messenger bag.

With the 2022 models, I think I would go with a Vado over Como, the opposite of the 2021 models. Looks like assist is to 28 mph. Could that be adjusted down in previous years' models through the display or Mission Control?
I asked Specialized corporate by email if a Vado sl could be restricted to meet class 1 standards ( an inquiry I made for a friend who wanted to ride on bike paths without worry of liability) and they assured me that it can be. They said it is an easy procedure the LBS can do. When she asked at her LBS, they said no, it can’t be. I assume it would take a little communication between them and corporate to clear things up, but I have a written email stating that the Vado sl can easily be set to class 1 standards. I imagine a class 1 sticker might be another story, but a receipt showing the work would seem to be enough evidence of compliance for any rare need.

View attachment 102070
My Vado 5.0 today. 10,000 km in 23 months on this e-bike alone (I used to own 4 e-bikes).
Looks like the Tero 5.0 is available for demo rides ($65/4hrs) at the Santa Cruz Specialized Experience Center. This is close enough for me to give it a go. From the pics on Specialized website the Tero comes with a display. As shown it appears to have 2 cables from the display into the bike (similar to a Vado?). What are they for? I guess it is not the same garmin compatible mount as on the SL and display unit would not normally be removable? For my test ride I'd like to mount my phone and use mission control/blevo. I guess I could always bring a rubber band garmin mount for my phone.

It cannot. A Class is a Class.
Here’s a copy of the email confirmation that class 3 specialized bikes can be restricted to class 1 standards:
Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out! These bikes can have their output adjusted at your local retailer. This will allow you to take the class 3 bike and drop the speed assist to 20 mph, allowing it to have class 1 standards.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Brian

USA Rider Care | Specialized Bicycle Components

Here’s a copy of the email confirmation that class 3 specialized bikes can be restricted to class 1 standards:
Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out! These bikes can have their output adjusted at your local retailer. This will allow you to take the class 3 bike and drop the speed assist to 20 mph, allowing it to have class 1 standards.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Brian

Interesting.

Looks like the Tero 5.0 is available for demo rides ($65/4hrs) at the Santa Cruz Specialized Experience Center. This is close enough for me to give it a go. From the pics on Specialized website the Tero comes with a display. As shown it appears to have 2 cables from the display into the bike (similar to a Vado?). What are they for? I guess it is not the same garmin compatible mount as on the SL and display unit would not normally be removable? For my test ride I'd like to mount my phone and use mission control/blevo. I guess I could always bring a rubber band garmin mount for my phone.
It looks it is a wired (handlebar/stem) version of the Mastermind TCD. I presume the display can only be removed by removing a small screw and quarter rotating the display: and only for battery replacement purposes. The mount probably is Garmin compatible but the display looks like irremovable (similar to Vado). I think it is the same as it is in Vado because the full power motor expects having the wired display (as it was before).

Hey there,

Hope this helps!

Best,

Brian

It is nice that the top or maximum speed can be controlled by the software/firmware. If it is done, as suggested, a copy of the paperwork probably should be along for the ride.

Igor - Specialized will not offer the new 6.0 soon if ever. The demand for S-Pedelecs in the EU is low. To release a new L1e-B type e-bike, Specialized would not only need to design the new ebike but also equip it according to the EU demands for mopeds and go through long and expensive type approval process. That's way only the older 6.0 is offered, only with TCD-w (L1e-B version) display and newer safety equipment.

Will you buy a 25 km/h Vado 5.0 that you could not derestrict? (That's the 2022 Vado 5.0). The 2020/2021 version 6.0 is still available (because so little people are buying that: expensive, and a moped).

Stefan Please clarify this for 45km / h and registration.
I am in Europe, but not in the EU.
Can I buy an e-bike in the EU without a speed limit?
My state has no regulation for bicycle speed ....

Stefan Please clarify this for 45km / h and registration.
I am in Europe, but not in the EU.
Can I buy an e-bike in the EU without a speed limit?
My state has no regulation for bicycle speed ....
Igor:
  • In the whole EU, a 25 km/h e-bike is just a bike (I had to say it to be clear about it)
  • Every EU country has own laws regarding S-Pedelecs. In most of them, a 45 km/h e-bike of maximum motor power of 4 kW is a moped.
Now: An S-Pedelec (a moped) comes equipped with certified components: for example proper lighting, STOP indicator, horn, and what is the most important: a lit plate for a registration number - like in scooters of Vespa type (that is, our law treats your Vado 6.0 and a Vespa equally). It also has to come with an individual Certificate of Compliance (like a Vespa). In the EU, you have to do all actions (registration, liability insurance, technical inspection, AM driving license) that you would have to do if you owned a Vespa.

Now: Your country is (as you say) liberal in this respect. It is not of much help because S-Pedelecs are made to meet the demands of the EU. For instance, an S-Pedelec has to have operable speedometer at all times (a regular 25 km/h e-bike needs no speedometer at all!)

Because of that, EU S-Pedelecs:
  • Are the most expensive in given e-bike category
  • Are rare
  • Are the last that would appear as a new model of the e-bike.
For instance, all Specialized e-bikes for 2022 are 25 km/h ones. Vado 6.0 is still offered in the 2020 version. It will be similar with for example Trek Allant+ 8S or 9.9S e-bikes, etc.

Now, you could try to derestrict your 25 km/h e-bike, that is, remove the speed limit. This is illegal in the EU, and probably no one would care in your country. It was fairly easy to derestrict Specialized e-bikes by 2021 models. The problem is, the 2022 Specialized e-bikes come with new mechanism to prevent them against speed derestriction (data encryption has been applied to the TCU controller).

Yes, you probably can buy some illegal Chinese crap with no speed limit. The point is you wouldn't be happy with it after you have ridden Vado 6.0...

Last edited:
@Stefan Mikes @Igor M the 2022 Vado manual has information on a L1e-B S-Pedelc version. It even details the equipment differences and shows fender with plate mount, horn, lighting equipment, etc. Pictures as well. I would wager it is coming, you just may need to be patient.

Hey there,

It would be nice if I could lower the maximum assist speed myself through the display or phone. Taking it to a shop every time I want to make a change, which could be at any point during a ride, is not practical. So I would just leave it set to 28 mph.

@Stefan Mikes @Igor M the 2022 Vado manual has information on a L1e-B S-Pedelc version. It even details the equipment differences and shows fender with plate mount, horn, lighting equipment, etc. Pictures as well. I would wager it is coming, you just may need to be patient.
That is a fantastic news @Onimaru! If these new L1e-B are released then there will be future for some of us. Not that I need to buy a new S-Pedelec tomorrow but having the opportunity for the future is just great thing! @Igor M: Hear, hear!

That is a fantastic news @Onimaru! If these new L1e-B are released then there will be future for some of us. Not that I need to buy a new S-Pedelec tomorrow but having the opportunity for the future is just great thing! @Igor M: Hear, hear!
he he ... I've already read all the manuals and in my opinion it's not at all questionable if it will be, only when.
I am definitely a candidate to buy the XL model. It remains to be seen how and where, once available.

Back