New Vados, Comos, and TERA!

Tero e-bikes are in the 50 lbs range, and new Vados and Comos are between 25 and 28 kg (55-66 lbs).
FYI: I used to carry a 57 lb e-bike up three flight of stairs before I bought an SL. It was not the nicest thing in my life but that was giving me a good workout! :D

I think you are 15 years or more younger than I am! Although, at this very moment I am contemplating how I'm going to get my new queen size mattress in a box up to my second floor bedroom. It comes on Saturday and I'm already thinking about pulleys over door handles and some leverage system. Depending on how that goes I may never ride a bike again! :eek:

@kahn: So do not consider any full power e-bike. Why should you need it?
I curse my current situation, preventing the Tero purchase... On the other hand, I wonder how far I would ride on that single 710 Wh battery. My experience tells me I need well over 1 kWh for a really long full power e-bike ride.
P.S. I estimate my range on that battery to 90 km. No, not buying Tero!

I curse my current situation, preventing the Tero purchase... On the other hand, I wonder how far I would ride on that single 710 Wh battery. My experience tells me I need well over 1 kWh for a really long full power e-bike ride.
Well, that is why I went with the Creo. I wanted light and was willing to accept less power. I tested the Creo on some steep hills and knew it was less powerful than my other e-bike. I also knew it did not have a semi-granny gear which my other bike has. I like the Creo and with the center motor it handles better than the front wheel motor (heavier front end makes it more twitchy or squirrelly).

It all involves a series trade-offs. Lighter=less power. Lighter= less distance (Range Extender fixes that but with more weight)

P.S. I estimate my range on that battery to 90 km. No, not buying Tero!
Refer back to @kahn post 31 above...just keep practicing 😌

As I love to repeat, I haven't managed to empty the main SL battery + RE yet ;) The day might come if I try an 80-miler on Vado SL :)
My 53 miler with 3,000 feet of climbing came close. Lately, I do a screen capture of the battery percentage after some rides. Unfortunately, back then I did not do that but if I recall, I had only about 5% on both batteries. That ride had some long climbs are well as quite a few short steep bumps.

Well, that is why I went with the Creo. I wanted light and was willing to accept less power. I tested the Creo on some steep hills and knew it was less powerful than my other e-bike. I also knew it did not have a semi-granny gear which my other bike has. I like the Creo and with the center motor it handles better than the front wheel motor (heavier front end makes it more twitchy or squirrelly).

It all involves a series trade-offs. Lighter=less power. Lighter= less distance (Range Extender fixes that but with more weight)
And vice versa ... more power, bigger battery, more weight, and since it's already heavy, why not carry X accessory that adds even more weight until the bike outweighs the rider.

And vice versa ... more power, bigger battery, more weight, and since it's already heavy, why not carry X accessory that adds even more weight until the bike outweighs the rider.
If I tried a 100 miler on the SL, Art, I might do it with low assistance. Probably would be dead for the next week if I survived the ride at all. Yes, I used 1061 Wh of batteries on a 104-mile ride, and it took me seven hours and twenty minutes of pedalling. Cannot see that possible on the lightweight e-bike in my case. Similar distance would have taken well over 9 hours moving time on the SL...

If I tried a 100 miler on the SL, Art, I might do it with low assistance. Probably would be dead for the next week if I survived the ride at all. Yes, I used 1061 Wh of batteries on a 104-mile ride, and it took me seven hours and twenty minutes of pedalling. Cannot see that possible on the lightweight e-bike in my case. Similar distance would have taken well over 9 hours moving time on the SL...
My solution is don't even consider centuries.Or climbing mountains. Or carrying 100 pounds. That's why I have a car.
Won't work for you, I realize, but works fine for me.

These new models look great! Good to see the radar tech creeping in and the battery capacities keeping up with the Jones. But the AU pricing... ouch! AU$5.6k for a base spec Vado with a Bosch Active-level motor, up to $8.3k for the 2.2 motor/radar shebang. That's about $1-2k upwind of similarly specced models. Tough sell.

Anyone have thoughts if I'm not sure whether I want the 3.0 or the 5.0? I know it really comes down to how much I want to spend, but do you guys feel like one or the other is a better bang for your buck? I'd be coming from a much cheaper bike.

Was considering Gazelle or R&M for belt drive. This changes everything. Especially with my LBS only dealing in Specialized and nearest Bosch dealer being 90 minute drive away.

Great feature set. I wasn’t comfy on the old Vado and preferred the Como. I prefer high step though and don’t like the new Como as much. But the new Vado seems halfway in design between the old Vado and Como. Can’t wait to test ride. Just wish the new 5.0 came in blue.

Hopefully my wife can fit the small in the new Como. She needed the XS in her Crossroads. Was looking at a Nevo because the 43 cm frame was perfect for her, but this is such a deep step through that maybe it will work.

Anyone have thoughts if I'm not sure whether I want the 3.0 or the 5.0? I know it really comes down to how much I want to spend, but do you guys feel like one or the other is a better bang for your buck? I'd be coming from a much cheaper bike.
Roland:
The best bang for the buck is with the version 4.0, which is offered in Europe but not in North America (I think). Version 5.0 (new Vado) is recommended if:
  • You live in a hilly area, and/or
  • You plan longer trips.
The 5.0 is equipped with a 90 Nm motor (one of the strongest in its class), while the 3.0 comes with a 60 Nm economic motor. The 5.0 has the large 710 Wh battery, while the 530 Wh one of the 3.0 is hardly adequate nowadays. Next: The drivetrain of 5.0 is expensive to maintain but the one offered with 3.0 (Shimano Alivio) is at the budget level: Nothing wrong with that (one of my e-bikes is equipped with Alivio), just be aware of that.

The radar: Is it necessary (installed on 5.0 but only Varia-ready on 3.0)? Not. You can just use a rear-view mirror or buy Garmin Varia later.

IGH or not? IGH makes the e-bike more expensive. The IGH optionally used on some 3.0 Vados is not of the highest class.

But I still want to know what these things weigh! I'd have to schlepp it up six steps from the street and another seven steps to the house. And, no, the fact there are varying models does not excuse not having some baseline weight.
I will have my LBS weigh the ones my wife test rides. Stay tuned!

I'm ready for a new Vado 5, IGH & belt drive. Keep me posted on availabilities, as you can't rely on the manufacturer's rep to even know sometimes :(

If 4.0 is there, then the motor is the new version of the one found in older Vado 4.0 (stronger than one found on 3.0 but somewhat weaker than the motor of 5.0). Large battery and decent drivetrain make the 4.0 the best value buy.

Back