New Vados, Comos, and TERA!

I can't seem to find the advertised weight of the Vado 5...or any of the bikes being introduced, am I missing it somewhere?

I can't seem to find the advertised weight of the Vado 5...or any of the bikes being introduced, am I missing it somewhere?
Do you find weight on any of their ad copy?

Here's the Creo:

Weight is typically not given by any big e-bike brand in their ads. Here's a Giant disclaimer:

"Weight: The most accurate way to determine any bike’s weight is to have your local dealer weigh it for you. Many brands strive to list the lowest possible weight, but in reality weight can vary based on size, finish, hardware and accessories. All our bikes are designed for best-in-class weight and ride quality".

On the other hand, the weight for a given model is given on a sticker on both my Specialized e-bikes: the weight of Vado 5.0 (2017*) size M is 24 kg, and the weight of 2020 Vado SL 4.0 EQ size M is declared as 17 kg. (There also is the sticker on 2020 Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro listing the weight of the M size model as 24 kg).
-----------
*) It is important, as it is the only "big" Vado with a rigid fork.

I only had time this morning my time to explore the updated Specialized website.
vado and como and tero batteries are all removable.
Are you sure these batteries are removable? If yes, that is good, very good. The buyer can make their choice whether they need a lightweight e-bike with the internal battery or a powerful heavier one; but the latter should have a removable battery, even for transporting e-bike on a car's rack.

I find all the new Specialized e-bikes really exciting. Again, I can only dream of them as I need to stick to what I have owned for the next couple of years.

There's one more thing: The only 45 km/h e-bike for Europe is the older Vado 6.0. It looks Specialized made all possible effort with their new MasterMind TCU to prevent the new e-bikes against derestricting them. And I won't be seated on a 25 km/h e-bike.

Last edited:
I just bought a Turbo Vado SL recently. No SL updates so this one isn’t for me. Big fan of SL, as I prefer riding without juice more often than not. I’ll upgrade my SL when it has an internal gear hub and belt drive. Otherwise, I’m very happy.

I have a Garmin Varia radar for the car detection ability. It’s amazing and highly recommended.

I just bought a Turbo Vado SL recently. No SL updates so this one isn’t for me. Big fan of SL, as I prefer riding without juice more often than not. I’ll upgrade my SL when it has an internal gear hub and belt drive. Otherwise, I’m very happy.

I have a Garmin Varia radar for the car detection ability. It’s amazing and highly recommended.
i think there will be some minor SL updates, given the rumors i’m hearing about the Creo. The new mastermind display/controller, the radar integration with mission control, the over the air updates. probably not the motor lock?

not worth an upgrade yet!

Really interesting to see the new Vado although the motor torque does seem down on the existing Vado. I’m in a very happy place with my current Vado 4 so I hope they release a nice higher capacity battery for it so I can keep it a bit longer. Unlikely as they’ll want me to buy the new one. Belt drive option is fantastic too, that is a must have on my next bike. They just need to watch those prices. It’s Reise and Muller territory and I know which one I’d rather have!

Belt drive option is fantastic too, that is a must have on my next bike. They just need to watch those prices.
One caution about the belt drive system is that the gearing range of the internal hub is limited compared to what's on typical derailleur systems, so something to be aware of in hilly environments. Also, an article somewhere on the new models said that the belt/internal gear option will add $500 to the price (which may not have been in USD though).

One caution about the belt drive system is that the gearing range of the internal hub is limited compared to what's on typical derailleur systems
The difference is not that visible as you may think. I.e. Tubo Vado SL 4.0 has Shimano Deore, 10spd, 11-42t cassette, which gives us 3.82 gears ratio. Enviolo 380 IGH (which is very popular and which one Specialized will be using with their belt drive models) has 3.8 ratio. So, no difference here and no efficiency drop.
that the belt/internal gear option will add $500 to the price
They probably do, but you don't need to change chain/cassette regularely and can safe a lot on them for belt-drive models. I.e. how much would be chain/cassette replacement expense for 10000 miles range, which is something belt drive is designed to handle? I believe more than $500.

The difference is not that visible as you may think. I.e. Tubo Vado SL 4.0 has Shimano Deore, 10spd, 11-42t cassette, which gives us 3.82 gears ratio. Enviolo 380 IGH (which is very popular and which one Specialized will be using with their belt drive models) has 3.8 ratio. So, no difference here and no efficiency drop.

They probably do, but you don't need to change chain/cassette regularely and can safe a lot on them for belt-drive models. I.e. how much would be chain/cassette replacement expense for 10000 miles range, which is something belt drive is designed to handle? I believe more than $500.
It may not be just the money, but the weight. IIRC the new Como SL w/IGH is only about 1 lb less than my Como3 w/derailleur, and costs $1000 more.

It may not be just the money, but the weight. IIRC the new Como SL w/IGH is only about 1 lb less than my Como3 w/derailleur, and costs $1000 more.
Weight is a valid concern, especially for Enviolo hubs, which are relatively heavy (i.e. trekking version for e-bikes weight is 2.5kg or 5.4lb). However there are lighter options available on the market today, i.e. Kindernay VII which has 428% gears range and weight only 1.2kg or 2.6lb. This is much closer to the derailleur setup weight.

Back