New Vados, Comos, and TERA!

it would be really cool to fully integrate a pinion type transmission with the mid-drive motor. belt drive. front and rear wheels both just dumb spinning wheels, all the heavy guts right in the middle down low where it belongs. there might even be some packaging and weight efficiencies in integrating the two gearboxes!

it would be really cool to fully integrate a pinion type transmission with the mid-drive motor.
It would be great to see more e-bikes with Pinion in general (so far only one I know is an upcoming Stromer with rear wheel direct drive motor). Regarding mid-motor integration with Pinion, if it ever happen I would bet for the Bosch - they are both German companies and can easily do that level of integration. Question is will it ever happen at all...

P.S. Looks like such thing exists - not an ebike exactly, but middrive+pinion. So this is possible!

Last edited:
It seems like these new bikes do not have cellular/gps to track if stolen only a feature to disable the motor and even that doesn't lock the motor? If so I'm disappointed on the anti-theft features :(

It seems like these new bikes do not have cellular/gps to track if stolen only a feature to disable the motor and even that doesn't lock the motor? If so I'm disappointed on the anti-theft features :(
My cynical side suggests that if a high end bike is stolen and insurance pays, the manufacturer sells another bike. Kind of cuts the motivation to make a theft resistant bike.
An example: inside the frame front fork locks existed 40 years ago that made a stolen bike unridable without cutting into the frame. Motorcycles still have them, but not bycycles. 😥

although the motor torque does seem down on the existing Vado
Not on my Vado, with the 90 Nm 1.2s motor.
--------------
P.S. Let me be nasty now:
Specialized announces new e-bikes, new motor, new display, new battery. Everybody seems to be excited.
Bosch announces a new motor, new display, new battery. Everybody seems to be upset and scared. No new e-bikes available.

How odd.

Last edited:
I think e-bikes are a perfect application for IGH and belt drives.

I have a custom touring bike with a Gates belt and Rohloff IGH. They pretty much work as advertised, no maintenance and easy to use. The belts haven't been as widely used in bicycles because the frame needs to have some accommodation for adjustment usually a sliding drop out or a eccentric bottom bracket. The overwhelming majority negative opinions on the two items are from people who haven't used or even seen them in use. I did purchase an extra belt but I've lost track of where I put it. I have another 10,000 miles before I have to worry about it. There was one negative Rohloff IGH report but it was from one user who spammed several forums and then cross referenced himself to make it look like they had a problem a few years ago.

P.S. I can't imagine any Creo update for 2022 that would make me regret buying a late 2021 model unless they drop 5kg and double the battery size.

Did these bikes just come out yesterday? It looks like they're all sold out already, is that right?
I think so, it's when I got an email announcement. Not available from any local stores yet but website still allows ordering Tero 5.0. All sizes except medium say low stock. Called LBS to see when they'd have in stock and was told who knows? Didn't check any of the other models online since the tero 5.0 is the only one I'd be interested in. Unless someone chimes in with the opinion that the 3.0 version with smaller battery/motor(?) is also decent.

Specialized is pulling out all the stops in the next gen Como & Vado and the new Terro. Not only are they attractive, the tech and features are in abundance. Just can't wait to see them in person. Specialized hits a grand slam here. They will sell like hot cakes despite the increase in price.

Our LBS in Campbell CA will take delivery of a small Tero 5.0 next week, and a medium the week after. My wife is very interested in this bike; hallelujah! I have been trying to get her to buy in on a Levo SL for 7 or 8 months to no avail. She is stoked about this bike! Last week we rode Lake Chabot in an anti-clockwise direction. Ouch. She, at 68 on her Vado SL 5.0 couldn't manage the sometimes very steep trails that a park ranger labeled "a real F* bitch"! I put her on my Levo Expert SL for a couple of sections to take advantage of the more appropriate gearing but she still sagged. The Levo SL is a large, which is too big for her. I ended up pushing both bikes to the top. What fun!

We are both stoked about the Tero 5.0, hoping it will bridge the gap between a full-on MTB and her Vado. Please cross your fingers for the sake of my sanity! She is a real trooper and doesn't balk at any hill, but sometimes just has to give up. I have told her she doesn't need to sell her beloved Vado if she buys the Tero.

Our LBS in Campbell CA will take delivery of a small Tero 5.0 next week, and a medium the week after. My wife is very interested in this bike; hallelujah! I have been trying to get her to buy in on a Levo SL for 7 or 8 months to no avail. She is stoked about this bike! Last week we rode Lake Chabot in an anti-clockwise direction. Ouch. She, at 68 on her Vado SL 5.0 couldn't manage the sometimes very steep trails that a park ranger labeled "a real F* bitch"! I put her on my Levo Expert SL for a couple of sections to take advantage of the more appropriate gearing but she still sagged. The Levo SL is a large, which is too big for her. I ended up pushing both bikes to the top. What fun!

We are both stoked about the Tero 5.0, hoping it will bridge the gap between a full-on MTB and her Vado. Please cross your fingers for the sake of my sanity! She is a real trooper and doesn't balk at any hill, but sometimes just has to give up. I have told her she doesn't need to sell her beloved Vado if she buys the Tero.
But I still want to know what these things weigh! I'd have to schlepp it up six steps from the street and another seven steps to the house. And, no, the fact there are varying models does not excuse not having some baseline weight.

But I still want to know what these things weigh! I'd have to schlepp it up six steps from the street and another seven steps to the house. And, no, the fact there are varying models does not excuse not having some baseline weight.
Tero e-bikes are in the 50 lbs range, and new Vados and Comos are between 25 and 28 kg (55-66 lbs).
FYI: I used to carry a 57 lb e-bike up three flight of stairs before I bought an SL. It was not the nicest thing in my life but that was giving me a good workout! :D

Last edited:
Tero:

Vado:

Como:

The great feature of the MasterMind TCD is the pedalling speed (a.k.a. cadence) indicator. May that teach some people to use the gears properly...

Last edited:
Back