I got my ST7 today! It is a very nice bike, and I only had time to take a short 5-mile ride to adjust the seat, and get a feel for the bike. A few initial reactions:

Compared to my ST5, it is a predictably different experience, given the obvious differences in drive train. But it is just as much fun to ride, and it feels similarly powerful (not more, not less). It is just as quiet, and the shifting is just as smooth once you get used to the rhythm of the pinion system.

The one thing I don’t like, compared to the ST5, is that it feels like the regenerative braking kicks in at weird times. When I start to pedal from a stopped position, it feels like there is regenerative braking resistance fighting me for about one second before it releases. When I stop pedaling and just coast, the regenerative braking kicks in, quickly slowing the bike rather than just coasting. Also, when I engage the brakes, the regenerative braking seems to kick in for a moment before the real brakes engage, and when I release the brakes, the regenerative braking stays engaged for about a second after the real brakes disengage. All of this “feels” wrong. Hopefully a software update will address this. Or maybe I need to try a different sensitivity setting for the brakes. Right now I have it set at 100%.

Another issue is the bike arrived with no side mirror. The dealer’s demo bike did not have one either. This despite the US Stromer ST7 website stating that a mirror comes with it. I was thinking of moving the mirror from my ST5 to the ST7, but it does not appear that can be done.

That’s all I have to share for now. Stay tuned for more updates.
I’ve now put over 100 miles on my ST7, and my overall impression is that it is in most ways an improvement over the ST5. Now that I’ve gotten used to riding it, I believe it has more power than my ST5. Going up hills and getting it to 28+ mph is noticeably easier with the ST7. The Pinion shifting system works great, though it does take some getting used to compared to the Shimano Di2. I don’t consider one better than the other, but not having to worry about dirty chain maintenance is very nice.

My longest single ride was 36 miles—with substantial hill climbing—and I only used 47% of my battery. I had it in mode 2 (with all the sliders turned all the way up) for nearly all of the ride, going to S-mode only for a short while. So I’m confident I can get to 60-70 miles with this bike on a single charge, something I could never do on my ST5.

The brake sensitivity issue still remains, and I tried different settings with no noticeable improvement. My conclusion, after a couple of 30+ mile rides, is this is likely a torque sensor problem. I originally thought it was a regenerative braking issue. I think the torque sensor is off by a small amount, reducing power a bit early when braking and a bit late when releasing the brakes. The latter is more troublesome because the bike fights you when you start to pedal right after braking. Hopefully Stromer can improve it with a software update, assuming they acknowledge there is a problem. I did notice the dealer’s test bike I rode also had the issue, so I don’t think its a problem with just my bike. Having said that, I consider it a minor (though noticeable) inconvenience that in no way is making me rush back to my ST5. The ST7 is way too much fun. 🤩

I did replace that hard rubber Brooks saddle with a leather Selle Anatomica X2 that is much kinder to my butt. I’m also getting used to the solid gold color, though it helps that the suspension fork is black. It seems that everyone notices me when I’m riding, and I’m starting to suspect it’s not because of my good looks 😉

Overall, I’m really enjoying the bike and not losing sleep about putting my ST5 up for sale.

I’ve now put over 100 miles on my ST7, and my overall impression is that it is in most ways an improvement over the ST5. Now that I’ve gotten used to riding it, I believe it has more power than my ST5. Going up hills and getting it to 28+ mph is noticeably easier with the ST7. The Pinion shifting system works great, though it does take some getting used to compared to the Shimano Di2. I don’t consider one better than the other, but not having to worry about dirty chain maintenance is very nice.

My longest single ride was 36 miles—with substantial hill climbing—and I only used 47% of my battery. I had it in mode 2 (with all the sliders turned all the way up) for nearly all of the ride, going to S-mode only for a short while. So I’m confident I can get to 60-70 miles with this bike on a single charge, something I could never do on my ST5.

The brake sensitivity issue still remains, and I tried different settings with no noticeable improvement. My conclusion, after a couple of 30+ mile rides, is this is likely a torque sensor problem. I originally thought it was a regenerative braking issue. I think the torque sensor is off by a small amount, reducing power a bit early when braking and a bit late when releasing the brakes. The latter is more troublesome because the bike fights you when you start to pedal right after braking. Hopefully Stromer can improve it with a software update, assuming they acknowledge there is a problem. I did notice the dealer’s test bike I rode also had the issue, so I don’t think its a problem with just my bike. Having said that, I consider it a minor (though noticeable) inconvenience that in no way is making me rush back to my ST5. The ST7 is way too much fun. 🤩

I did replace that hard rubber Brooks saddle with a leather Selle Anatomica X2 that is much kinder to my butt. I’m also getting used to the solid gold color, though it helps that the suspension fork is black. It seems that everyone notices me when I’m riding, and I’m starting to suspect it’s not because of my good looks 😉

Overall, I’m really enjoying the bike and not losing sleep about putting my ST5 up for sale.
Terrific! I'm glad you're enjoying the bike! Do you notice a benefit of the Wren suspension fork vs the aluminum fork of the ST5 (or does your ST5 have a susp. fork, too)?

Terrific! I'm glad you're enjoying the bike! Do you notice a benefit of the Wren suspension fork vs the aluminum fork of the ST5 (or does your ST5 have a susp. fork, too)?
Both my ST5 and ST7 have a the suspension fork and Kinekt suspension seat post, so there’s not much difference for me in that regard.

My ST7 has, however, effectively become a paper weight in my garage. The “minor” issue I was having with the regenerative braking described in earlier posts took a turn for the worse a couple of days ago, and now the bike seems to be in permanent Recup mode. It’s a pretty strange problem - I can walk the bike (i.e. it rolls fine when I push it), but when I try to pedal it it is nearly impossible. If I stand on the pedal the bike barely moves. And the brake light stays on, even when I’m not touching the brakes. My guess is the Recup switch or sensor went bad and failed in the full-on position, even though the OMNI screen thinks it is off. I’ll take the bike back to the dealer today. I’m sure they and Stromer will figure it out. I knew I was getting one of the very first bikes in the US, so I’m not too surprised I’m a guinea pig. Good thing I still have my ST5!

Both my ST5 and ST7 have a the suspension fork and Kinekt suspension seat post, so there’s not much difference for me in that regard.

My ST7 has, however, effectively become a paper weight in my garage. The “minor” issue I was having with the regenerative braking described in earlier posts took a turn for the worse a couple of days ago, and now the bike seems to be in permanent Recup mode. It’s a pretty strange problem - I can walk the bike (i.e. it rolls fine when I push it), but when I try to pedal it it is nearly impossible. If I stand on the pedal the bike barely moves. And the brake light stays on, even when I’m not touching the brakes. My guess is the Recup switch or sensor went bad and failed in the full-on position, even though the OMNI screen thinks it is off. I’ll take the bike back to the dealer today. I’m sure they and Stromer will figure it out. I knew I was getting one of the very first bikes in the US, so I’m not too surprised I’m a guinea pig. Good thing I still have my ST5!
Hi Abe, sorry to hear about your troubles. I imagine you may have already tried this but just in case ... Have you removed the battery for at least 10 minutes and restarted?
This reset/ reboot sometimes helps when the bikes are acting up.
Hope you're back riding ASAP.

Yes, $14,500 with WREN susp and seat suspension.
😳
Hi Abe, sorry to hear about your troubles. I imagine you may have already tried this but just in case ... Have you removed the battery for 10 minutes and restarted?
This reset/ reboot sometimes helps when the bikes are acting up.
Hope you're back riding ASAP.
I haven’t tried that with this more escalated issue, but I had tried it before with the lesser version of the problem, to no avail. I did turn the bike off a couple of times and it didn’t work. Right now I feel that even if taking the battery out were to resolve this immediate issue, the bike needs to be fully checked out as it seems to be progressing in a bad direction. I’d hate to be out on a long ride and find myself with an 80-lb. ball and chain 🤣

Oh my goodness, so sorry to hear this! But I'm glad you shared. At least you still have the ST5. Have you ever had issues with the ST5? A store has a not-bad deal on the ST5 ABS, but, on the international forums, I've read folks have issues with the ST5 and ST5 ABS.

Oh my goodness, so sorry to hear this! But I'm glad you shared. At least you still have the ST5. Have you ever had issues with the ST5? A store has a not-bad deal on the ST5 ABS, but, on the international forums, I've read folks have issues with the ST5 and ST5 ABS.
I never had any significant issues with my ST5 (mine is the limited edition model from 2021 - just before ABS was added). The OMNI died once and had to be replaced, and the torque sensor got messed up by a bad Stomer software update that they eventually corrected. Otherwise, after having put over 3,600 miles on it, it’s been a great, very reliable and fun bike.

I never had any significant issues with my ST5 (mine is the limited edition model from 2021 - just before ABS was added). The OMNI died once and had to be replaced, and the torque sensor got messed up by a bad Stomer software update that they eventually corrected. Otherwise, after having put over 3,600 miles on it, it’s been a great, very reliable and fun bike.
Awesome! Thanks!

I just ordered my first Stromer (ST7 Platinum) and these forums are extremely helpful, however, I am trying to understand how they work. It appears that the ST7 user manual is a supplemental document to the ST1-ST5 range. In that ST1-ST5 manual, they reference boost mode by holding down the plus button. I am assuming that this feature would also be available on the ST7 given the ST7 manual does not make reference to it. Is this correct? Can anyone speak to this feature? I appreciate the support. Thank you in advance. J

I just ordered my first Stromer (ST7 Platinum) and these forums are extremely helpful, however, I am trying to understand how they work. It appears that the ST7 user manual is a supplemental document to the ST1-ST5 range. In that ST1-ST5 manual, they reference boost mode by holding down the plus button. I am assuming that this feature would also be available on the ST7 given the ST7 manual does not make reference to it. Is this correct? Can anyone speak to this feature? I appreciate the support. Thank you in advance. J
Yes, it works exactly the same on the ST7 as on the ST5.

Sadly, the boost mode was removed with the ST3/5. My 2016 ST-2 has it, but since then, the EU has said an ebike cannot have it.

The ST5 and 7 can get up to 12 mph by holding down the plus button with no pedaling?
No, sorry - I thought you meant the S mode, which is above mode 3 which you get by pressing the + button. What you are referring to does not exist in the ST5/7.

There is a “walk” mode, where the bike is self propelled at a slow pace, but it is meant as an assist for walking the bike up a ramp or out of a ditch.

No, sorry - I thought you meant the S mode, which is above mode 3 which you get by pressing the + button. What you are referring to does not exist in the ST5/7.

There is a “walk” mode, where the bike is self propelled at a slow pace, but it is meant as an assist for walking the bike up a ramp or out of a ditch.
Sorry for any confusion.. here is what I was talking about in version 3 of the operating manual, which seems to be the primary document, whereas the ST7 manual states it is a supplement to this document.
Thank you all for contributing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 10.13.05 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 10.13.05 AM.png
    972.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 10.15.23 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 10.15.23 AM.png
    915.5 KB · Views: 120
Thanks for your write up. I got mine last weekend after a 4 month wait. I also have an ST5. I have ridden 25 to 38kms each of the last 3 days. My impressions:
The Great: great design, great motor (mine is reading about 1.3kms/hr more at sustained upper speeds vs what I hlget on my ST5), solid build, quality finish, shifting at anytime on the pinion system, amazing battery capacity, great lighting.
The Not So Great: No side mirror, no suspension seatpost despite ordering one (the dealer immediately responded on this), the Brooks seat is horrific (I replaced it today with an ergon and it was night and day), the pinion system sometimes hunts for gears when shifting...I like the feel of the electronic Shimano system better, and I liked the softer rubber ergon grips better than the hard plastic grips provided. Lastly, the omni app is useless here in the tropics (Dominican Republic). It does not work for my ST5 neither. Unfortunate since my ST2 worked here for 5 years. If you are buying outside main markets and are counting on this app make sure to check if your market telecoms are compatible.
The balance: Despite the fact I can't use the Omni system here, I love the bike. A saddle, post, pedals and grips swap is all I will be doing and I expect many enjoyable miles of rides.
20230427_183526.jpg

Thanks for your write up. I got mine last weekend after a 4 month wait. I also have an ST5. I have ridden 25 to 38kms each of the last 3 days. My impressions:
The Great: great design, great motor (mine is reading about 1.3kms/hr more at sustained upper speeds vs what I hlget on my ST5), solid build, quality finish, shifting at anytime on the pinion system, amazing battery capacity, great lighting.
The Not So Great: No side mirror, no suspension seatpost despite ordering one (the dealer immediately responded on this), the Brooks seat is horrific (I replaced it today with an ergon and it was night and day), the pinion system sometimes hunts for gears when shifting...I like the feel of the electronic Shimano system better, and I liked the softer rubber ergon grips better than the hard plastic grips provided. Lastly, the omni app is useless here in the tropics (Dominican Republic). It does not work for my ST5 neither. Unfortunate since my ST2 worked here for 5 years. If you are buying outside main markets and are counting on this app make sure to check if your market telecoms are compatible.
The balance: Despite the fact I can't use the Omni system here, I love the bike. A saddle, post, pedals and grips swap is all I will be doing and I expect many enjoyable miles of rides.View attachment 152492
I pretty much agree with everything you say. I just bought the mirror online for about $15.

Like you, I also replaced the saddle — with a Selle Anatomica X2 saddle. I did get the suspension seat post, and it’s exactly like the one on my ST5. And after riding my ST5 for the past week (after two weeks riding my ST7), I agree that the Shimano Di2 is smoother and faster to shift, though once you get used to the Pinion you don’t really think about it anymore. And it’s nice not having a messy chain. The belt drive is nice and clean and largely maintenance free.

The reason I’ve been riding my ST5 this week is that my ST7 started having electrical problems. It was getting progressively worse until it finally died at 170 miles. By that I mean that the OMNI would turn on but there was no power to the bike at all. No motor power, no lights, etc. Stromer and my dealer figured out that there was a short near the charging port, and it is in now having the distribution (wiring) unit replaced, as well as the headlight, which didn’t survive the short. I hope to have the bike back next week. I knew that being an early adopter would require some patience, so I’m at peace with this.

Overall, the bike is a real joy to ride. It’s what you would expect from a very high end e-bike. And it absolutely has that Stromer performance that we all love.

I pretty much agree with everything you say. I just bought the mirror online for about $15.

Like you, I also replaced the saddle — with a Selle Anatomica X2 saddle. I did get the suspension seat post, and it’s exactly like the one on my ST5. And after riding my ST5 for the past week (after two weeks riding my ST7), I agree that the Shimano Di2 is smoother and faster to shift, though once you get used to the Pinion you don’t really think about it anymore. And it’s nice not having a messy chain. The belt drive is nice and clean and largely maintenance free.

The reason I’ve been riding my ST5 this week is that my ST7 started having electrical problems. It was getting progressively worse until it finally died at 170 miles. By that I mean that the OMNI would turn on but there was no power to the bike at all. No motor power, no lights, etc. Stromer and my dealer figured out that there was a short near the charging port, and it is in now having the distribution (wiring) unit replaced, as well as the headlight, which didn’t survive the short. I hope to have the bike back next week. I knew that being an early adopter would require some patience, so I’m at peace with this.

Overall, the bike is a real joy to ride. It’s what you would expect from a very high end e-bike. And it absolutely has that Stromer performance that we all love.
I was curious what the situation was with your ST7. Thanks for posting the update, and I hope this time it is issue-free.

The brake sensitivity issue still remains, and I tried different settings with no noticeable improvement. My conclusion, after a couple of 30+ mile rides, is this is likely a torque sensor problem. I originally thought it was a regenerative braking issue. I think the torque sensor is off by a small amount, reducing power a bit early when braking and a bit late when releasing the brakes. The latter is more troublesome because the bike fights you when you start to pedal right after braking. Hopefully Stromer can improve it with a software update, assuming they acknowledge there is a problem. I did notice the dealer’s test bike I rode also had the issue, so I don’t think its a problem with just my bike.
Hello,
I’m a proud French owner of a ST7 since January and this is my very first post.
I’ve been riding about 500 km, mostly for commuting and I’m still learning to know the bike.
I also had some issues with the brakes, or more precisely said, with the recup mode.
As you, I experienced that strange feeling of fighting the regeneration force, that being confirm on the screen while pedaling (when the power regenerated appears on the bar scrolling from left to right). I noticed that always happened just after braking, even at short speed.
My dealer helped me to fix it without any software update.
In fact, when you use the brakes, it first slightly starts the regeneration mode (maybe for half a second) and then, the brakes work. There’s a sensor on the base of the brake lever, that sensor being controlled by a simple screw. When you get your bike, this screw might be too tightened and your ST7 continues considering that you are braking even after having released the brakes, and still continues to help you braking.
To fix that problem, slightly loosen that screw on both levers upwards (maybe half a turn or one turn). Find the right balance and that should work 😊. Notice : you’ll need to loose a very small security screw that blocks the main screw with a small Allen screwdriver.

I hope your bike will work fine when you get it back.
A581C9CF-E73E-4EB5-8033-9BF024C213FD.jpeg

The screw is the one with some blue on it.

Back