New Rad Rover 6

With all the discussion about the new battery form-factor and supplier, is anybody as skeptical as I am about the failure to improve battery voltage and capacity in an "all-new" bike, even with a much-higher price tag?
As one with a bunch of 48v experience, I have no interest in going with any more voltage or capacity. I get all the speed and range I can use as-is. Betting that price will drop as some of the newness wears off. They have a lot of competition with very similar bikes selling for less money. I get the premium for a RAD product, but this seems excessive to me.

Last edited:
As one with a bunch of 48v experience, I have no interest in going with any more voltage or capacity. I get all the speed and range I can use as-is. Betting that price will drop as some of the newness wears off. THery have a lot of competition with very similar bikes selling for less money. I get the premium for a RAD product, but this seems excessive to me.

I'm also happy with the range of my MiniST (and with the current $200 discount it's a screaming deal that I would have loved to get), but there are plenty of people who would benefit from longer range and more available power, like commuters in hilly towns, hunters and trail riders. Plus, in emerging sectors of the economy like e-bikes, competition is fierce and potential customers expect generational improvements and innovation.

And I absolutely agree that at $2k people will be even more motivated to make sure they've checked out their other options for that much money before pushing the Buy button or shaking the dealer's hand on a purchase.

They could offer an optional higher capacity battery at a later date, sell it as an accessory and rake in extra profit.

Rad Power just released the new generations of bikes starting with the RadRover 6.
The significants changes are a new proprietary semi integrated battery, hydraulic disc brakes, new display and larger control buttons.

I’m disappointed seeing this battery, since now it is going to be harder to replace with a different one like in the past models.
Also the new display doesn’t offer any significant upgrade like Voltmeter nor cruise control and the USB port is now a $50 option.
It is very likely that the rest of their models will be refreshed with these newer components and on top of that at a higher price.
I’m not happy to see these changes.
I am not happy seing this battery either. There is no point buying a spare one for a total $2,400. Juiced has a 52V 20aH bike selling for $2,600 with air front suspension. They think we are stupid. Everybody has a min of 17aH 48V today. Thatbis the most important part in a bike. At least the frame size geometry is larger. The 5 was too small.

The biggest problem with proprietary key components is that you are stuck with Rad and these parts being out of stock for weeks or months. So even if you have bike with warranty left you might be waiting for your part forever. Then as few years pass those parts may not be available at all.

The biggest problem with proprietary key components is that you are stuck with Rad and these parts being out of stock for weeks or months. So even if you have bike with warranty left you might be waiting for your part forever. Then as few years pass those parts may not be available at all.
We're totally agreed on proprietary parts issues. Here though, despite what they're saying (which is them shooting themselves in the foot), I think we're jumping the gun assuming that's a proprietary battery. We're not going to know for sure until somebody brings one home.....

The last 3 bikes I've purchased for the wife and I all use a similar mounting method that conceals a lot of the battery, leaving a nice clean look. All 3 of those were batteries are using Reention cases and a very similar drop in mounting method. Point being, in this case, I think a wait and see approach is better than an assumption. Rad has never used proprietary parts previously (other than that battery rack). It's been one of their strong points. I can't see them starting now, but clearly I could be wrong....

We're totally agreed on proprietary parts issues. Here though, despite what they're saying (which is them shooting themselves in the foot), I think we're jumping the gun assuming that's a proprietary battery. We're not going to know for sure until somebody brings one home.....

The last 3 bikes I've purchased for the wife and I all use a similar mounting method that conceals a lot of the battery, leaving a nice clean look. All 3 of those were batteries are using Reention cases and a very similar drop in mounting method. Point being, in this case, I think a wait and see approach is better than an assumption. Rad has never used proprietary parts previously (other than that battery rack). It's been one of their strong points. I can't see them starting now, but clearly I could be wrong....
Yeah. We will see eventually. Personally I dont mind. I'm already owner of 2017 Rhino (not many stock parts left though 😁).

We just thought about the RadRover 6 plus but ended up going with the Aventure. The motor, battery and display/app were the biggest reasons

The conclusion at the end; the spiel does not match the chart, I don't see a compelling argument or data that says every spec is better on the Aventure, and some like the battery capacity in real life could be no difference. The Torque and the listed top speed is the only real specs I see that are better; far from every spec. Are the specs reliable even, the difference really is minor. The load capacity spec is actually better on the Rad, USB port has nothing to do with the bike performance, and is actually just one more useless thing to fail, although it's subjective some people demand it, others like me think it's useless. So no unlike what you say, not everyone would make the choice you did looking at the specs.

The conclusion at the end; the spiel does not match the chart, I don't see a compelling argument or data that says every spec is better on the Aventure, and some like the battery capacity in real life could be no difference. The Torque and the listed top speed is the only real specs I see that are better; far from every spec. Are the specs reliable even, the difference really is minor. The load capacity spec is actually better on the Rad, USB port has nothing to do with the bike performance, and is actually just one more useless thing to fail, although it's subjective some people demand it, others like me think it's useless. So no unlike what you say, not everyone would make the choice you did looking at the specs.
motor (many sources have stated Rad's is not a true 750w), torque, battery and price are all better w the Aventure. I realize many consumers trust Rad which is why it's never a given that stats alone would determine which ebike one should buy...but for you to state that the data doesn't support my decision I think is unreasonable.

Again, I realize you can't quantify everything and there are reasons why people should 100% buy a Rad but IMO the stats/data ( motor/torque/battery/price) all support going with the Aventure.

motor (many sources have stated Rad's is not a true 750w), torque, battery and price are all better w the Aventure. I realize many consumers trust Rad which is why it's never a given that stats alone would determine which ebike one should buy...but for you to state that the data doesn't support my decision I think is unreasonable.

Again, I realize you can't quantify everything and there are reasons why people should 100% buy a Rad but IMO the stats/data ( motor/torque/battery/price) all support going with the Aventure.
Just the way you stated it, 'every spec - everyone would make the same decision', i'm not saying it was not the right decision, at least for you, but to try to categorize it as more than that is a bit disingenuous i believe. Yes I realize Rad is not known for their torque, but they have had a lot more testing, do you have independent tests that show the torque spect for the other one is real, and on the ground performs better? So yes with the reports out there we can say the Rd is no torque monster.... but we should point out that that was all based on the earlier models; the latest model is supposed to be better in the regard, we will wait for the real tests... so even the current data for Rad does not apply to this latest release.
I don't own Rad, and I probably never will, but I didn't like the over the top 'this one is better' for such a close race, that is based purely on speculation and no real testing.

Just the way you stated it, 'every spec - everyone would make the same decision', i'm not saying it was not the right decision, at least for you, but to try to categorize it as more than that is a bit disingenuous i believe. Yes I realize Rad is not known for their torque, but they have had a lot more testing, do you have independent tests that show the torque spect for the other one is real, and on the ground performs better? So yes with the reports out there we can say the Rd is no torque monster.... but we should point out that that was all based on the earlier models; the latest model is supposed to be better in the regard, we will wait for the real tests... so even the current data for Rad does not apply to this latest release.
I don't own Rad, and I probably never will, but I didn't like the over the top 'this one is better' for such a close race, that is based purely on speculation and no real testing.
ps.. it will be funny if the XP v2 beets them both :)

I'm looking forward to the RadRkver 6 plus vs Himiway/Aventure videos. I actually received the Magicycle ebike tonight, which is listed to have more torque than the Aventure & RadRover 6 plus.

I'm looking forward to the RadRkver 6 plus vs Himiway/Aventure videos. I actually received the Magicycle ebike tonight, which is listed to have more torque than the Aventure & RadRover 6 plus.
I have a Himiway Cruiser, which I like very much. But its kind of big, and hard to get on and off. (its not a step through)... so I am looking at the RR6+ step through. But I am a heavy guy and need to make sure the motor is powerful enough to pull me around.

I have a Himiway Cruiser, which I like very much. But its kind of big, and hard to get on and off. (its not a step through)... so I am looking at the RR6+ step through. But I am a heavy guy and need to make sure the motor is powerful enough to pull me around.
Heavy guy here too (300+). Have/have had several e-bikes and I can share that your weight DOES make a difference, but how much difference depends on the size of the hills in the area you ride most, and the type of drive systems (geared hub vs. mid drive for example). A 500w motor powering a geared hub is plenty of motor if you don't have to deal with a lot of hills.

Even if the RR6 has a new motor the controller and battery must be able to push and sustain the wattage and the motor must be able to handle it for a reasonable time before overheating. Someone will be testing it soon I'm sure.

One of the reviewers showed its a different motor (power cable comes out the other side).. and claimed it had 15-25% more torque.

My Himiway, I barely get over PAS 3 (of 9) and I am a 300+ guy.. and it has a peak watts of over 1,000.
The Aventon Adventure also has a true 740w with a peak of over 1,100.

I'd get a Himiway step through, but with the way the battery sits, you don't gain much over the cruiser version. My wife has a Lextric XP 2,0 step through. Its a fun bike, but the 500w motor struggles a bit.

Back