New Rad Rover 6

Biko

Region
USA
City
Clearwater, FL
Rad Power just released the new generations of bikes starting with the RadRover 6.
The significants changes are a new proprietary semi integrated battery, hydraulic disc brakes, new display and larger control buttons.

I’m disappointed seeing this battery, since now it is going to be harder to replace with a different one like in the past models.
Also the new display doesn’t offer any significant upgrade like Voltmeter nor cruise control and the USB port is now a $50 option.
It is very likely that the rest of their models will be refreshed with these newer components and on top of that at a higher price.
I’m not happy to see these changes.

I agree with you 100% on the battery. I wouldn't be surprised if the replacement is also more expensive than the current batteries. And it doesn't help that Rad has trouble keeping batteries in stock. Also, I don't understand the dual display thing. How does it help me to have the PAS level and battery charge on a separate screen?

The brakes are a nice upgrade. And they are advertising that it has more torque and hill-climbing ability, so maybe they are finally using the "true" 750 motor.

I'm not a Rad fan nor am I in the market for an ebike, but I like the changes. It brings Rad up to date with yesterday's ebike market lol... (Circa 2017 maybe). Hydraulic disc brakes were long overdue.

Still kind of mediocre, given the 20 mph limit and the lack of variable sizing (despite doing possibly more volume than any other stateside e-bike company!). That's Rad for you, oh well.

I think we're OK on the battery. It's just a much cleaner design as adopted by several other manf's. My bet is it's made be Reention (or at least the case is). That's a good thing! Developed "in house"? I seriously doubt it. Controller is likely now located in the down tube above the battery as others are doing as well. Personally, I like both of these changes (assuming that IS a Reention style battery). They're not considered proprietary at all.

Brakes - those will be a welcome change I'm sure.

The display w/separate up/down key pad though....

The City, with it's direct drive rear hub, is the bike that's WAY past due for a serious refresh.

@ AHicks, why would you like a controller which is going to be limited by the downtube housing?
My Juiced CCX has that system, but I prefer the old Rad which is just a simple attachment, ugly but practical.
I hope the battery is not that proprietary like you said, if it is made by and are available by other manufacturer. Still the Shark Style battery with the open cradle is way more expandable and interchangeable with generic components.
Remains to be seen if this new model keeps the 25MPH override of the previous models, since these are not Class3 bikes.
And the 42T front gear is still tiny for an eBike.

I was expecting a more aggressive upgrade from Rad here. If at least the battery was 52V or something, Class3, Smartphone I/O, more powerful headlights, etc
As for the City, I'm actually happy with the DD motor, but a bit more power would help if it had a 52V battery to go with it.

@ AHicks, why would you like a controller which is going to be limited by the downtube housing?
It's a cleaner look, and I've found that there's usually plenty of room for a KT-22a controller in that area on other bikes. I've found those are good for occasional bursts of 1000w. Plenty to make your 500-750 gear driven hubs act pretty "sporty" for a few seconds at a time.

Don't get me wrong here. I still believe the bigger motors and controllers required for bigger/longer hills are the right answer for some people. For a city bike though, something spending most of it's time on paved or packed surfaces, those enclosed controllers seem to work pretty good.

A fatty like the Rover, when used in sand frequently, we'll have to wait and see. There may be some that need to get that controller out of there to keep it from overheating.....

Rad Power just released the new generations of bikes starting with the RadRover 6.
The significants changes are a new proprietary semi integrated battery, hydraulic disc brakes, new display and larger control buttons.

I’m disappointed seeing this battery, since now it is going to be harder to replace with a different one like in the past models.
Also the new display doesn’t offer any significant upgrade like Voltmeter nor cruise control and the USB port is now a $50 option.
It is very likely that the rest of their models will be refreshed with these newer components and on top of that at a higher price.
I’m not happy to see these changes.
Yeah the battery thing is what stalled me. They have made a number of positive improvements, so
someone´s paying attention. I´d like to see standardized batteries interchangeable for all bikes. So
far the dorado type fits many different bikes, not so much with dolphin packs, standard parts as well.
With many hi-end bikes parts are model specific, not readily available, & that means a long down to acquire.
Thatś truly annoying if you´ve paid $4 or 5k for a bike.

I'm not a Rad fan nor am I in the market for an ebike, but I like the changes. It brings Rad up to date with yesterday's ebike market lol... (Circa 2017 maybe). Hydraulic disc brakes were long overdue.

Still kind of mediocre, given the 20 mph limit and the lack of variable sizing (despite doing possibly more volume than any other stateside e-bike company!). That's Rad for you, oh well.
There are indeed some very positive improvements, but there´s plenty of room for more.

for me no torque sensor or class 3 option usually enough to not even consider any bike without these…my opinion for me you are different I am sure :)

EBR review:

All in all it really sounds like this went sideways, some improvements, some downsides, but especially the 4.8 lb increase.

Also, compare it to the Juiced fat bike, the Ripcurrent. Same price, but has torque sensors, a better transmission (9 vs 7 speed), 52v, variable sizing and CLASS 3.

All in all it really sounds like this went sideways, some improvements, some downsides, but especially the 4.8 lb increase.

Also, compare it to the Juiced fat bike, the Ripcurrent. Same price, but has torque sensors, a better transmission (9 vs 7 speed), 52v, variable sizing and CLASS 3.
Torque sensor, mmm? Having used both, I´m not certain 9 is better than 7. As far as I´m concerned
a freewheel is always better than a cassette. Not enamored of juiced or rad. Cassettes just do not last
as long, especially on ebikes.

Last edited:
Torque sensor, mmm? Having used both, I´m not certain 9 is better than 7. As far as I´m concerned
a freewheel is always better than a cassette. Not enamored of juiced or rad. Cassettes just do not last
as long, especially on ebikes.
I don't discount your Juiced bike's failures, but Rad frame failures may be even more common.

Also, can anyone tell if this frame is an open mold/non-original one?

Still a spring fork, which is a horrible thing to put on a bike. Looks like maybe they downsized the tires. Hopefully these aren't a proprietary size like on the Wagon.

The motor from what I can see is a Dapu that is Rad-branded. If its the motor I think it is, then its rated for 1000w but only has 60Nm of torque. That particular motor has a metal/nylon/metal sandwich sun gear inside of its planetary housing for increased durability but a bit more noise. The people I know who have used them were not happy with the reduced torque output vs. the true Bafang 750.

Rad claims a 25% increase in power which would track with that increase in wattage rating. Hopefully there's more to this story as if its that simple of a change then the motor power has gone down, not up.

If its not a Dapu, it will be identified in short order as I am certain I have seen that exact motor casing within the last several days on another new bike release. It won't take long before someone pins it down.

I don't discount your Juiced bike's failures, but Rad frame failures may be even more common.

Also, can anyone tell if this frame is an open mold/non-original one?
Please document a RAD "frame failure". I've never heard of one. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "frame failure".

Not sure what an "open mold/non original one is? Are you talking about the frame, as in is there another exactly like it? There's a bunch of them using a very similar down tube for sure. They have to in order to use the Reention style battery. To RAD's credit (IMHO), they've chosen to use a top loading style rather than the front loader. Front loaders are nice if you're considering piggy backing a second battery, but you should see the little latch that's holding that front loading battery in place....

As far as the spring forks, sure, that's what they are, but they're a quality spring fork, or at least they were on my '17 'City. I've ridden several others that will bang as they top out (think pogo stick) and these don't act like that at all.

Please document a RAD "frame failure". I've never heard of one. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "frame failure".
"The next day they updated with a comment that their frame had broken at the seat collar. " at link I posted.

The City, with it's direct drive rear hub, is the bike that's WAY past due for a serious refresh.
The Blix Packa used the same Shengyi direct drive motor as the RadCity and Blix have an updated Packa Genie model that has switched to a geared hub motor, so I wonder if we shall see the RadCity follow suit this year.

Back