Still considering changing from Rad Rover (and Rad)

I bought my first ebike six years ago thanks in part to EBR and helpful comments from many of you. I bought a Rad Rover and have been very pleased and last fall considered changing to a Rad City duse primarily to it’s “get up and go”. Well, life got in the way (shoulder replacement surgery) and now I am a few days away from another surgery. When I bought the Rad Rover I never considered weight, but now six years later and two surgeries, at age 69, I am thinking that the RR and possibly a Rad City are becoming too heavy for me. The main issue is transporting the bike. I have the 1Up USA Heavy Duty Bike Rack. I am considering purchasing the ramp for $160. However, I’m probably within a year or two from being forced to buy a new battery and from Rad that’s about $500. I thinking that I would rather spend more money on something new as opposed to $650 and stay with my heavy bike. I’m not getting any younger and I’m not getting any stronger!

So, I’ve been looking around for ebike under 50 lbs. I like sitting more upright on pavement and some gravel, so a hybrid is preferred. I like the idea of a belt drive rather than a chain, but worry that a single speed will not get me up hills easily (I weigh 230 lbs). The lighter e-bikes I looked at have smaller motors, another concern. Lastly suspension, (riding on crushed rock and gravel) seems important to me and most of the lighter e-bikes have little. Any suggestions?

Here's to a speedy recovery! Lots of gravel riders get by just fine without suspension, so if weight is the main driver of this new purchase, I'd think long and hard about that. Full suspension adds considerable weight. Assuming that you're not riding technical MTB stuff, combining front and seat post suspension will provide much of the benefit you're after at significantly less weight.

Others can advise you about belt-driven internally geared hubs (IGHs). But based on my reading here, you might incur a weight penalty there as well.

To get better advice, it would help to know your budget and the terrain you intend to ride. Good luck!

Here is the thread that discusses that topic in depth: https://forums.electricbikereview.com/threads/lightweight-and-affordable-ebikes.10796/
Belt & multispeed implies IGH internal gear hub, which is not lightweight. I think the Shimano 8 speed is about 8 lb without the brake rotor adapter.
The lightweight 3 speed Sturmey-Archer IGH only increases speed, not torque. I have found no 32 or 25 tooth sprocket in stock for it. Only 18, which makes the top 2 speeds useless for me except down steep hills.

Last edited:
I guess suspension is not a high priority as I ride 80% on paved surfaces. If I’m going to make a change, I want it to be a lighter bike (something under 50 lbs), so yes weight is a high priority. I’m a little curious about belt driven e-bikes, but I have no issue with a traditional 7 speed ebike. As much as I would like a high end ebike with great components, I don’t want to spend more than $3,000.

I guess suspension is not a high priority as I ride 80% on paved surfaces. If I’m going to make a change, I want it to be a lighter bike (something under 50 lbs), so yes weight is a high priority. I’m a little curious about belt driven e-bikes, but I have no issue with a traditional 7 speed ebike. As much as I would like a high end ebike with great components, I don’t want to spend more than $3,000.
$3,000 will get you a good bike.
On the rear suspension: YOU DESERVE IT! (almost) everyone that does not have a rear suspension says "you don't need it", "you can get by without it", "use a suspension seat post", etc. Those that have ridden with a full suspension for a while, whether it 's on paved trails, gravel, or the woods, (almost) all agree they would never go back to a hardtail. The benefits exceed the cost many times over. A full suspension is very kind to your spine, and that is important at your age (i am 65). You deserve a full suspension bike. Full suspension is safer when you get into trouble with terrain whether it is a ditch curb, trail surface, etc. My first bike had a cheap spring loaded front suspension and I rode on paved trails. It was great. Then I added a more cushioned seat, then I added a suspension seat post, then I added 3" tires for a softer ride. Then I went with a fat (4") tire bike running low pressure with the suspension seat post. Then, I finally I got a really nice full suspension e-mtb. A much more enjoyable and safer ride. I immediately purchased one for my wife against her wishes, she's glad I did. You deserve a full suspension. Your spine needs and deserves a full suspension. Nobody regrets the money spent on a full suspension.

Here is one good choice, I'm sure our brethren can chime in with other options, there are a few rear hub motor bikes with full suspension.
Frey NEO - $2,950 delivered -Mid drive Bafang. - Rock Shock Fr & Rr Suspension. It weighs 46 lbs. sans battery.
I got my wife a Frey Savannah CC

Last edited:
The Ride1Up Roadster and the Propella 9s Pro come to mind. The latter has an adjustable stem so you can get that upright ride position, whereas for the Roadster you'd have to add a handlebar riser and probably some longer cables. Add a Kinekt seatpost or maybe just a spring seat (like a Cloud 9) if you like. Just some ideas. There may be others out there that I don't know about.

I started to have a similar issue with my two 2016 Radrovers @75lbs each and my old +70lbs Saris SuperClamp 4 rack. No problems back in 2016; but, a pain in the butt to use +8 years later as I get older. Ended up upgrading to QuikRack Mach2 dual rack with a ramp. So much easier to load my +70lbs Radrovers with the ramp (for now). Might need to look into a different solution another 8 years from now.

Another option is look into a powered bike racks that can raise/lower? This is assuming you don't have an issue with riding an ebike now in the 50-80lbs range and you have a vehicle with tongue weight capabilities and power for the electric bike rack? The MoTow Hitch Lift starts at $675 (check out YouTube).

Suggestions that I buy a ramp for my bike rack are not appreciated! Just kidding 😉. I had total knee replacement yesterday. My plan was to use my down time over the next few weeks to do research. Exploring ebikes is definitely more fun than looking at ramps. I’m probably going to buy the ramp that goes with my bike rack ($165).

I made a post on “Assumptions…” which also listed my priorities in looking for a new ebike. After several comments I moved hydraulic brakes up to one of my top priorities. Ebikes are relatively heavy and can go really fast. So in my opinion hydraulic brakes are a must. If I decide to keep my Rad Rover, I’ll have my LBS put in hydraulic brakes and look for something very different from the RR (regardless of weight). Your thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!

Current value in my eyes, Ride1up Priority V2. Not stupid heavy, plenty of power and no worrying about gears. Just doesn't have the "T" word. But wow, that ebike is a heck of a value. Not sure how easily the battery can be removed to help further reduce weight when loading/manhandling.

I hate loading my XP into my Honda Fit. Thing is like wrestling a python, even if you strap the wheels together. Mega pinch points and a pain in the back await. Its easier to load into the Subaru. Still heavy though.

I am very impressed with Ride1Up. My only question is that it is a class 3 ebike. It’s not an issue where I live. I’ve read where class 3s are prohibited on some paths. Not sure how they even enforce that (I have this image in my mind of Barney Fife handing out tickets). I just don’t want to travel somewhere and find I can’t ride a particular trail.

. I just don’t want to travel somewhere and find I can’t ride a particular trail.
Lancaster County and other parts of Pennsylvania are notorious for ticketing class III bikes. Or any bike with a throttle.
Watch rich suburbs with tiny police forces. Rich people pay their police to enforce victimless crimes to keep people out of their neighborhoods. Like the kid that was shot for brandishing a bag of Skittles.

Lancaster County and other parts of Pennsylvania are notorious for ticketing class III bikes. Or any bike with a throttle.
Watch rich suburbs with tiny police forces. Rich people pay their police to enforce victimless crimes to keep people out of their neighborhoods. Like the kid that was shot for brandishing a bag of Skittles.
WOW! Anyone else out there ever get in trouble for riding a class 3 or a bike with a throttle?

No matter what bike I get, I’m gonna have a throttle. I pulled away from an angry dog one time because of my throttle.

Back