New Rad bike on 8/22, Radrunner

thatdude902

Looks like Rad is announcing a new bike on 8/22/19. From the teaser video https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/radrunner it looks like a Juiced Scrambler type bike. Interesting, I've been checking those out recently as they look like fun little bikes. Though I heard that the Juiced one is huge, or at least kinda tall.

There's another one from Sparkbikes called the Blade that looks similar: https://sparkbikes.com/products/blade ,
recently reviewed by EBR:

Details are out, it's like a cross between a Radmini and a scrambler, with adjustable seat and uses that empty triangle area in the scrambler as storage. It's pretty neat.

Watching that review, some shortcomings: no suspension, single speed, no lcd.

Review by Electrek.co

EBR's review:

Attachments

• radrunner.jpg
    radrunner.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 2,992
Last edited:
I don't understand the appeal. The non-adjustable seat doesn't look very comfortable, and would only fit a certain percent of people? It's also kind of ugly.

I don't think so, someone extracted this photo from the video

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1566239347217.jpg
    FB_IMG_1566239347217.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,255
Here's a couple of screen grabs:

First is a new display. Instead of the Rad-standard King display in the center, this looks like it sits next to the shifter/grip, with 5 battery SOC %'s at the top, 4 assist levels plus 0 for no assist, a dedicated headlight button and +/- controls for the assist level. :
Panel.jpg

Then there's this peg thing, which might be a foot rest for a rear passenger:

Peg.jpg

Something to go against the Urban Arrow or Ries and Muëller Load is my guess. Something with a front platform/box, or even a three wheeler like a Butchers and Bicycles that’s leanable. They don’t have anything that competes in this cargo category.

There's a new bit of info on the page, the price: It's $1299. Interesting.

Edit: forgot to add a quote from ebikeschool.com reviewer on reddit: "I can confirm that it's all good news. I can't say or confirm anything Rad hasn't yet, but the bike is a winner, rest assured. I'll have the first full review up on Electrek as soon as the bike is revealed tomorrow. "

Last edited:
There's a new bit of info on the page, the price: It's $1299. Interesting.

Edit: forgot to add a quote from ebikeschool.com reviewer on reddit: "I can confirm that it's all good news. I can't say or confirm anything Rad hasn't yet, but the bike is a winner, rest assured. I'll have the first full review up on Electrek as soon as the bike is revealed tomorrow. "
The radrunner is kinda a moped/ ebike,

If you google the name it has a small description you can see. Also came across the trademark filing and noticed they filed one around the same time for a “RadPUP” bike.

Attachments

• 7B42EBC3-4982-49BD-AD09-952EF3F9E05B.jpeg
    7B42EBC3-4982-49BD-AD09-952EF3F9E05B.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 866
  • 11CDD02B-DCC9-4878-A22D-0A41630CAE4F.png
    11CDD02B-DCC9-4878-A22D-0A41630CAE4F.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 801
Hard to tell what it is right now. Someone adjusted the levels on the previous pic and it looks like this attached pic. Looking at it, it might be some kind of a cross between the Radmini & the Radwagon -- a mini cargo bike.

Attachments

• 7avLsJ0.png
    7avLsJ0.png
    188.2 KB · Views: 795
Added picture to the OP. Details are out today, it looks like a cross between a Radmini and a Juiced Scrambler, but with an adjustable seat and a storage area where the Scrambler is just wasted empty triangle. For 1299, it looks pretty awesome.

There are a few videos posted. Looks like a lot of fun and useful bike. I wonder if these will ever be classified as a moped.

They should have called it the Lead Sled. 64 pounds on that small single speed is ridiculous!

They should have called it the Lead Sled. 64 pounds on that small single speed is ridiculous!

Literature says 750w Bafang gear drive the way I read it, with 80nm torque. With the small tires, that's likely going to have noticeably more kick than a Rover. If nothing else, it should be plenty peppy....

Betting there's a lot of conversation regarding bike vs. moped, but it looks like a class 2 bike from where I'm sitting - though it is a bit unconventional. Kinda like a recumbent is a bike. As unconventional as they are, they are a bike too. Point being, you can't judge it by the way it looks......

All that said, maybe a bit too conventional in my tastes, not a buyer or a fan here either. I can see where some might like it though!

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea. It will sell well. Rad looks to be doing very well. Some U.S. sellers could learn from their success.

I do wonder why Rad and Juiced haven't offered an eMTB? They know their market, I'm just curious.

Rad power bikes bill themselves as the biggest ebike maker in the US, at least according to the ads that I see on google & reddit. It's kinda crazy to think that traditional bike makers didn't take ebike serious enough at the beginning to allow a small startup like Rad to take such position.

The passenger seating makes Court double up his legs to use the pegs. Also it isn't looking like good pedalling position for long legs. Looks like the seat wouldn't be good long term. The US version could be OK for power in a lot of circumstances. The Canadian version would be weaker, and I can't imagine it would be worthwhile at 250W for EU loaded up and going uphill. I like some of the the accesories almost a lot - "no fenders for you" stinks, don't charge $125 for plastic fenders.

Back