New motor: Made in Canada, 2022 Mid-drive system

Deafcat

Here's the scoop, as much as I can share right now:

• it's more powerful than a Bafang Ultra, and it sounds better.
  • it uses a high resolution torque+cadence PAS
  • it's made in Canada (mostly, including motor and electronics, power drivetrain)
  • 24 months engineering right here in Saskatoon, SK.
  • it does not rely on bicycle chain for assist power, but it still pedals like any bicycle, with up to 12 speeds
  • it's compatible with fat tires, 29+, all that jazz
  • Easily 40 MPH in testing without breaking a sweat, and can climb and tow like mad (over 2000lbs tested, on a popular bridge, I kid you not.)
  • it can do all of this with fairly conventional batteries (typically 52V 40A+ 900-1100Wh)
  • the drivetrain service interval is over 5,000km, with 10,000km service interval design goal
  • key design goals: low cost-per-km, severely reliable with redundancies, mountain-climbing machine, cross country endurance. Strong sporty, but agile af.

Launch for website is 2/22/2022, this coming Tuesday.

More info soon, more photos to come, Cheers!

motorbw.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be following along, to see the spec's/performance etc,
Sound good, but the reports of the using public will tell the final tale.................

Tia,
Don

Yep, count me in as interested enough to follow as well - until/unless the expense factor turns out to be ridiculous.

Yep, count me in as interested enough to follow as well - until/unless the expense factor turns out to be ridiculous.
I think it would be compatible with Bafang pricing as that's their market.
I think this an undercover Biktrix development for the moment

I am assuming that these will be a DIY put on any bike type of system?

It is possible to install into frames which are designed for Bafang Ultra, but not intended to be used for conversion-DIY jobs. Primarily, this will come on new complete bikes I think!

Should be able to get more details out this weekend, ahead of public launch on 22nd (Tuesday). And complete photos :D

It is possible to install into frames which are designed for Bafang Ultra, but not intended to be used for conversion-DIY jobs. Primarily, this will come on new complete bikes I think!

Should be able to get more details out this weekend, ahead of public launch on 22nd (Tuesday). And complete photos :D
You little tease you 🙊

Thanks for the clarification and good to hear because I happen to have an Ultra bike.....I don't need to go 40+ though but will follow along with the progress of this for sure.

Here, it's more than just available power. How developed is the controller programming? Is this so new the only testing has been on paper, or is this something that's got some time/thinking/actual test riding behind it? Will we, as consumers/riders, be allowed some adjustment to suit our personal 'druthers?

Motor control programming in development for 12+ months now, we're really happy with it!

The high available power is essential to us for intense testing, this much power will only be available in off-road models (limiting power to say 50% greatly extends service interval for every-day riders).

These motors+drivetrains are on numerous test bikes (with in-house test pilots, as well as public beta-testers under NDA), cumulatively we've put them through four-seasons, heavy off-road, abusive towing tests, intense climbing, and well over 5000 kms combined (I think we'll cross 10,000 km total ride testing next month).

40 of these motors+drivetrains in the test/development group (not a one-off).

Here, it's more than just available power. How developed is the controller programming? Is this so new the only testing has been on paper, or is this something that's got some time/thinking/actual test riding behind it? Will we, as consumers/riders, be allowed some adjustment to suit our personal 'druthers?
I agree... More power is not what's needed, especially if it means needing a bigger battery.
This is what caught my attention.
"it does not rely on bicycle chain, but it still pedals like any bicycle, with up to 12 speeds"

I agree... More power is not what's needed, especially if it means needing a bigger battery.
This is what caught my attention.
"it does not rely on bicycle chain, but it still pedals like any bicycle, with up to 12 speeds"
This sentence confused me too.....pedals like a bicycle, but does not rely on a chain.....I'm intrigued.

Back