New Gazelle Ultimate t10 Purchase thoughts

JohnRC

Not much is written here so I thought I would contribute my experiences on my T10.

Some background:
This is my 3rd e bike in less than 5 months. I bought a slightly used 2020 Giant Amiti and rode it for 2 weeks. I had ridden a couple of them and the loud motor noise never annoyed me. But after a few days I found it very unpleasant. There is some talk on the the thread that sometime in 2020 a new more quiet motor was introduced but I have not been able to verify this. The ride was pretty good but I had my trusty Kinekt seatpost to help out. Without it the ride would not have been comfortable for me at 74 with neck issues. The suspension forks are not great. I really liked the bike, especially the power and 5 levels of assist. Battery distance seemed ok too. I decided I could not live with the motor noise so I sold it for what I paid. This bike was a pain to pedal with zero assist. Very difficult.

Next I had a Slightly used 2020 Como 4. The motor on this one is silent, no question. This is a pleasant bike, comfortable ride with big balloon tires. I still used my Kinekt seatpost. LIttle things bugged me. 3 levels of power. Locking it up on the street was always a challenge because of the low step frame. I totally hated the colour (charcoal). I just could not live with it. The handling was a little spongy because of the tires but it was good enough: just took some time to get used to it. The Como was not easy to pedal with zero assist. I got about 70mi on a charge. The “Cup” seat did not work for me at all. This bike has a lot of power and twice I found myself riding way too fast for conditions. I really do not need that much power.

Now I have the Gazelle. Am I in love with it? I won’t go that far yet but it is pretty good. I began to look at Gazelles after reading how good they were to pedal unassisted. They are great! I have 84 km on the trip meter and about 70% battery left mainly because I can easily and happily pedal a lot of the time. This is good news to me. The small frame is still a little big for me and I am trying to find some bars with a bit more sweep to them. The tires are Schwalbe energizer with good flat protection but they have pretty stiff sidewalls which makes the ride a bit harsh even with my seatpost. I may go to the Big Apples. The Cafe Lock is ok but a pain to get used to. The key has to be in it while it is retracted. It makes a loud bang and I wonder how long it will do this then break. The seat the comes with it is pretty good along with my seatpost. When you pedal backwards it is difficult but it makes lubing the chain vary easier. There is some sort of rattle down around the motor On some bumps which I have not figured out. 4 levels of power plus OFF. Brakes are very strong XT Shimano’s.

I may add more to this as I go along. Ask questions if you have any.

Pedal on.
John

John,

The rattle at the motor is an early sign of a problem. I had it and it sometimes sounded like banging on bumpy road. Later it developed a squeaky stress noise when pedalling hard or when frame flexed.

My bike shop guessed it from the noisy video that I sent them during pandemic lockdown, and I took it in and they added a kit of shims for noise that Bosch supplies for this problem (1 hr job while I walked around a deserted downtown during lockdown) and it has been totally quiet for over 1000 kms since. Get the Bosch shims added under warranty and you will be happy. I tried torquing the motor and it was not a fix.

I agree the ride is a little harsh but I do find the bike is better on firmly filled tires 55-60psi. It goes faster and handles better but the road bumps are a little shaky sounding due to the metal fenders and chain guard (that I like but are noisier than the Arroyo that I first had with plastic fender that both had stress break on all the rough roads.

Get the bike shop to add more preload to the front shock. It comes with minimal from factory. See a previous post. It helps a lot with the roughness of the ride problem as the front shock is almost bottomed out without the extra preload.

Steve

The bike is expensive. Gazelle has another model, the Arroyo, which is a bit less expensive. Do you have any experience with the Arroyo? Steve, is the problem you describe common on this model? If so, is it possible to have the dealer add the shims when you first buy the bike? I thought the motor on this bike is the Bosch 3rd generation. Is that a relatively recent model? Why would this happen now? Did it happen on earlier models? Thanks. Mark

You would have to ask the Bosch dealer as it was an add on support kit (free fix for me under warranty, but I assume it is a free fix to anyone getting these expensive bikes.) Gazelle would add them at the factory if it wants to; it is noise between the motor and frame where it is mounted. I think the motor is 4th gen but it is new 2020 and has EMTB speed setting feature. My Arroyo that my wife now rides has gen3 motor and did not develop the squeak. I rode it 3500+ km last year and in winter too.
The Gazelle Medeo T10+ is an alternative if you don't need upright seating.

I have a red Ultimate T10 and LOVE it so much! Yes, the tires are Schwalbe Energizer Plus but my husband has the Medeo T9 with the Big Apple tires, and he longs for mine, as they are a bit smoother in his opionion. The Ultimate T10 has amazing shifting power, much smoother and quieter than the Arroyo that I test rode. I added a Hafney handlebar mirror and a phone bag to use the Map My Ride app and I can ride 30 miles easy on this bike. We do some major hills in our area of southeast Tennessee, starting with our driveway, and when we hit the rough-as-a-cob chip and tar rural road at 28 mph with the engine off, I am thankful for the suspension on the Ultimate T10 which the Trek Verve was lacking. So, for me, this is a fabulous ebike and I am so happy to be riding my "Big Red" with 65nM of torque to conquer any hill that comes my way! My question is which set of panniers to buy? My husband is happy with the Rockbros trunk bag with expandable panniers, and I am seriously considering the same for this bike. I am not 100% convinced that I have to have Ortlieb bags, but interested in what you like for accessories.
117915165_1210706742632460_1879553212015841532_n (1).jpg

Here is the Ultimate paired with the Medeo at beautiful Cades Cove in the Smokies. A great ride if you are looking for scenery, wildlife, flora and fauna with some challenging trails. Have a great ride and a blessed day!
118667208_1219115905124877_1703323822951334105_n.jpg

I am going to ride through the winter again this year. For those days when there is too much snow for the Ultimate, I will just snowshoe. Note the advantage of the step-through frame when bringing home the new snowshoes.
Does anyone know a repeatable way to get the rubber charge port cover closed. I would love to see Gazelle make the designer create a video of them opening and closing it 5 times in a row. I think I have closed it 3 times this year!

IMG_7203.jpeg

Well done! I have the white/cream coloured Ultimate that I just got a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping for the red but my LBS didn't have it in stock at the time. I'm happy with the white though, since it's still bright.

I got a MIK and Basil panniers which fit fine.
I have the same question regarding the charger port cover, we just took delivery of two Gazelle bikes; Ultimate 10+ and 380.

Attachments

• bikes.jpg
    bikes.jpg
    982.3 KB · Views: 395
Just a quick update that my Gazelle Ultimate T10 was eligible for the stabilizer upgrade through my bike shop. I became aware of this issue on the Gazelle fb page, and called my bike shop. I was amazed at the outstanding service as I took my bike in, left it overnight, and picked it up after they installed the new part, at no cost to me. Just wanted to chime in on that information.
And, that 380 is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G as well. My husband is lusting to upgrade to that machine from his Medeo. Interested in how you like it, DavisAK. Let's hear it.

Please explain the “stabilizer upgrade”. I have not heard of it.

I continue to like my Gazelle very much BUT there is still some loud clunking noise from around the motor. A Bosch mechanic has gone over it twice and says it is fine and normal. I am still not convinced. If I am coasting along on some rough pavement I can feel the clunking in my pedals. If I coast along on smooth flat ground and have my pedals horizontal and then jiggle my right or left foot up and down on the pedal I can replicate the noise. It is a very solid noise and not the chain on the plastic chain guard. It has not been possible to take the bike over rough ground at either of the Gazelle dealers I have close by simply because both are in new areas where all the surfaces are new and very smooth. Now that the weather is better I will see them again.

Please explain the “stabilizer upgrade”. I have not heard of it.

I continue to like my Gazelle very much BUT there is still some loud clunking noise from around the motor. A Bosch mechanic has gone over it twice and says it is fine and normal. I am still not convinced. If I am coasting along on some rough pavement I can feel the clunking in my pedals. If I coast along on smooth flat ground and have my pedals horizontal and then jiggle my right or left foot up and down on the pedal I can replicate the noise. It is a very solid noise and not the chain on the plastic chain guard. It has not been possible to take the bike over rough ground at either of the Gazelle dealers I have close by simply because both are in new areas where all the surfaces are new and very smooth. Now that the weather is better I will see them again.

John, how frustrating that your Gazelle has clunking noise.

I’m gonna throw out a silly wild idea on how to duplicate the noise:
Make a bumpy path. Get hold of some scrap 2x4 lumber pieces and lay em in a row. Ride over at various speeds. If that works, take em to the dealer to demonstrate. If not, keep looking.
Trust your instincts that the noise is not normal.
Please post what you find.

Just a quick update that my Gazelle Ultimate T10 was eligible for the stabilizer upgrade through my bike shop. I became aware of this issue on the Gazelle fb page, and called my bike shop. I was amazed at the outstanding service as I took my bike in, left it overnight, and picked it up after they installed the new part, at no cost to me. Just wanted to chime in on that information.
And, that 380 is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G as well. My husband is lusting to upgrade to that machine from his Medeo. Interested in how you like it, DavisAK. Let's hear it.
380 is an absolutely stellar bike in every respect! It was a tough decision for me 380 vs 10+ but I wanted the 28 MPh speed. That hub is amazing and worth a serious look.

I am going to ride through the winter again this year. For those days when there is too much snow for the Ultimate, I will just snowshoe. Note the advantage of the step-through frame when bringing home the new snowshoes.
Does anyone know a repeatable way to get the rubber charge port cover closed. I would love to see Gazelle make the designer create a video of them opening and closing it 5 times in a row. I think I have closed it 3 times this year!

View attachment 71603
That’s very cool. It holds a lot. I’m looking at the t10 or ultimate C380. The 380 has the internal hub and belt drive Which replaces the chain and derailed. more money and I’m not sure about the shifting. Apparently its like an automatic transmission.

dielectric grease

Ultimate T10 thoughts! I realize this thread is a little old but it seems the perfect place for my thoughts regarding the T10 and Como 3. I have a 2019 Como 3 which I have absolutely loved... except when I stop and start. It's very hard for me. I'm 5' tall and the small frame just isn't the perfect geometry for me. Along comes the Ultimate T10. I can easily and safely start and stop on this bike... and I purchased it. The geometry is a better fit - sort of! Might be having a little buyers remorse. It is 10 pounds heavier than my Como - which I didn't notice at the shop of course. And, although I can start and stop so much easier, I now realize that I would like the seat lower... but, it is at its lowest point. I'm not sure what I can do about that. Also, the motors are VERY different. I think I can get used to the Performance motor but it certainly isn't as smooth as the Como. But, it does have more power. The Ultimate has nicer components and great fenders and better lights. So many differences. At this moment, after riding the Como 1000's of miles and the Ultimate 15 miles... I think I like the Como better. Lighter and smoother. Hoping that the Ultimate grows on me. Comments are welcome.

are you sure you need the seat lower? if you lean against the wall and put your heel on the peddle thats in the down position your leg should be straight. if the seat is not high enough your going to not get good power.

are you sure you need the seat lower? if you lean against the wall and put your heel on the peddle thats in the down position your leg should be straight. if the seat is not high enough your going to not get good power.
Yes it does need to be just a little lower. Not much - maybe ½ inch.

You're not going to believe this! I tested the 46cm size of the Ultimate T10. It was perfect. The LBS built and delivered a new one to my house. Which is the one I've been trying to adjust. Well... it ends up they delivered the 53cm size which is way too big no matter what adjustments are made. Currently working with the LBS to resolve the issue.

Back