New Frey Owners

You'll be very happy with the X1 once installed. I start off with my throttle quite often in like gear7. Plenty of pep. You will find, with a bit of experimentation, that you can feather the throttle significantly. I've learned to keep pressure with the ball of my thumb on the throttle body itself while allowing the bottom side of my thumb to press lightly on the throttle till I have some speed up then increase thumb pressure as needed. If you mash this throttle completely from a start you will dump yourself. And do not do a quick start from stop in 10th (high) gear. You'll just wear out your chain and high gear prematurely. I also like to get the bike rolling a bit before using the throttle. Although you don't have to.
Throttle with a 50 amp BBSHD has prepared me well and I use it as you describe. I do not like that the throttle is not linear in stock form. Even exercising care you get surges.

Just received my Frey CC. Beautiful bike. Suspension is outstanding. I am not quite 5-8" and the step over height is no issue as mentioned by another poster. Losing flexibility as I get older and it is a little bit of work to step thru the tall mid step. I did get the dropper post and the seat is very low allowing easy mounting and dismounting. Having ridden cadence sensing Bafang mid drives for the last 5 years, the torque sensing will take a little getting used to. It needs some programming to work for me as well. I requested throttle from 0 and they agreed to program it for me. I received a programming cable and an email that they would send me a file to to make the change. That was disappointing to say the least. I purchased the WW X1 on a 200 off sale last month. I was hoping to play around with it stock for a while, but see me sending the motor off sooner than later. Stock programming sucks and throttle from stops is a must. I thank Tom D for his excellent information about the Archon X1. His review was a big part of my decision to order it.
Tinasdude-when did you order your CC? I just received my tracking info last week.

Taylor57. I ordered at the end of September. The Fedex tracking number is a tease. Now you will check a couple of times a day to see if FedEx has received it yet. Once it showed up on the Fedex site I arranged delivery to a local drop off. No waiting around for FedEx. No delivery to the wrong address. It eliminates any hanky panky. No unable to deliver BS.

Last edited:
Has anyone found the height or reach of the bars on the CC an issue? Is this just a short person issue? What were your solutions?

Has anyone found the height or reach of the bars on the CC an issue? Is this just a short person issue? What were your solutions?
One of the Frey CC models has swept back handle bars.
I'm sure you can replicate that?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210321-020804_Alibabacom.jpg
    Screenshot_20210321-020804_Alibabacom.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 220
One of the Frey CC models has swept back handle bars.
I'm sure you can replicate that?
You could possibly also change the head stems for a shorter one.
Have you tried moving the seat forward on the seat rails?

You could possibly also change the head stems for a shorter one.
Have you tried moving the seat forward on the seat rails?
thanks. It has a short stem. I did not think to check seat position. Too much weight on my forearms and wrists. Those bars you showed would be better. I think they have gone to a mtb type set up for dual use. i have Jones bars on 2 other bikes. Their 2.5 riser bars might be the trick
When I get my CC, will most likely swap for Jones H bars
1616256305866.png

thanks. It has a short stem. I did not think to check seat position. Too much weight on my forearms and wrists. Those bars you showed would be better. I think they have gone to a mtb type set up for dual use. i have Jones bars on 2 other bikes. Their 2.5 riser bars might be the trick

View attachment 82157
They actually have two CC models one more mountain bike type, and one a cruiser type with brown seat and brown grips and the swept back handle bars.
You obviously got the mountain bike type.
Good luck with some juggling you will make it fit your body style.
Thanks

Thanks again. I will get it right. Used to modifying one size fits all bikes. Part of the game. I need to check cable lengths before I order Jones bars. I wonder how well these would work with the Jones.
1616266134643.png

I ordered my cc with the swept back bars.....50 days ago now.

I have a much less sophisticated e bike which has similar bars ,which allow a quite upright seating positon ..very comfortable

Anyone here with a frey ex could comment on the programming for the bike? I have read about the pas being unstable and some other issues. Also looking at the biktrix juggernaut but tempted by the 28ah of battery this has compared to 21ah with the two batteries.

Anyone here with a frey ex could comment on the programming for the bike? I have read about the pas being unstable and some other issues. Also looking at the biktrix juggernaut but tempted by the 28ah of battery this has compared to 21ah with the two batteries.
I seen your other thread and was quite surprised. There is no different controller for the Biktrix - it uses the same as the Frey. Both use the same Bafang components.

The "Programming", is free, and easy, you just need a $20 USB lead. You can use the Frey programming settings on the Biktrix, or visa versa if you like.

I don't want to bog this down in technical discussion, but to say, you're not limited in "programming".... You can do this bit yourself, you're really only changing some settings.

Choose your bike based on other factors, like quality of components. The "programming" can be changed easily.

Others were saying the biktrix had other programming that was better than most so I think they must change it. Was also worried that the motors may be switched over to that can bus which prevents programming by the user.

"Better Programming" is a massively subjective debate - you'll see about it all over this forum. What it actually means will mostly depend on you and your expectations.

To give you some perspective, I tried countless Programming/settings on my Frey bike, including the Biktrix settings.. and ended up using my own.

The CANBUS motors are a fairly recent addition and already various software/hacks are popping up so you can program these motors too... Granted its a bit of a work-in-progress, and a PITA to do, but its not impossible.

Plus, you can always opt for a Archon X1/Innotrace controller instead of the Bafang controller.... Which maybe the best idea in any case.

Back