New bike adjustments?

Caitipi

Region
USA
I'm having a minor prob with the chain or gearing on my brand new Vado 4. When I demonstrated the problem to my bf- trying to downshift to the 1st gear sounds and feels like it's not completing the shift- the chain actually fell off. We put it back on carefully, hoping to also fix the original problem and bf took a test ride. It still has the same issue, but only in the easiest gear which i almost never use anyway. Bf said this is common after the first 100 miles or so and that i probably needed to adjust the derailleur. Does this sound correct? If so, is adjusting it easier/ less time consuming than putting the hitch-mount bike carrier on the back of the car and loading up the bike to take it to the shop (which is a little too far away to bike)?

I think someone else posted here, or somewhere else (FB maybe?) about the B screw on the derailleur? That might be something to check out. Mine came all good from my LBS, but they might have adjusted it already.

If the chain is falling off, it is also likely the limit screw(s) needs adjustment. If the bike is new and the shop is near and not super busy, they should be able to take care of it.

If you are interested in learning how to do it yourself, it is fairly simple if you watch a youtube or two.
is the one I find most entertaining since Syd and Macky do some nice videos.

Park Tool also covers this and other things as well:

Back