Need recommendations on folding e bikes that require very little maintenance

TheChosenOne

Gonna buy my first bike/electric bike soon with a budget of $2,000 and I would go over if it's worth it. I don't want to deal with the maintenance stuff. I just need it to commute to work and ride on my free time and I'd ride anywhere from 10-40 miles per day. I looked at the Pedego Latch that has a belt drive. Seems great but a little over my budget. What other folding electric bikes require very little maintenance? And what is everyone's opinion on the 2017 E Joe Epik SE? If I can't find a mostly maintenance free bike then the Epik SE would be my next choice.

https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/shop/latch/

It's above $2,000 but I highly recommend you take a look at the Tern Vektron, it will be the most reliable folding ebike on the market this year. It's geometry and components make it a solid ride. We have experience with other folders, but we have stopped offering most of them since they don't meet our standards.

It's challenging enough to make a good folding bike, but to make a good folding ebike is a even bigger feat. I think Tern is the first to nail it.

Update: new name for the Elektron is Vektron

Last edited:
It's above $2,000 but I highly recommend you take a look at the Tern Elektron, it will be the most reliable folding ebike on the market this year. It's geometry and components make it a solid ride. We have experience with other folders, but we have stopped offering most of them since they don't meet our standards.

It's challenging enough to make a good folding bike, but to make a good folding ebike is a even bigger feat. I think Tern is the first to nail it.

I just saw those over the weekend and I'm entranced! I've never needed or cared about a folding bike, but that little thing is so darn cool, I"m thinking about Ebike traveling, taking it with me. Very sweet. What's the price.

I just saw those over the weekend and I'm entranced! I've never needed or cared about a folding bike, but that little thing is so darn cool, I"m thinking about Ebike traveling, taking it with me. Very sweet. What's the price.
I believe the price is going to be $3500 for these.

During the interview Court had with the Tern Rep, they briefly mentioned a Bafang drive Tern for around $2000. What (Tern) said was they wanted to have a bike with some of the features but at a more mainstream price. I think the Elektron looks great, but it's too much. If the BBS version was done right, it's a better price for what could often be a 'second' bike. Well, fourth for me.

I had a 20 inch folder and I thought the small wheels were the problem. The fat tire folders seem to work for people. Maybe a wider but not fat tire would help. I don't know.

Back