Need help deciding! R1Up or Aventon?

Alex.R.

Hey all, first post here. Love the site; been spending a LOT of time on EBR doing research and watching videos.

I live in Hawaii and it's beautiful year round, so there's no reason NOT to get a bike. That said, there are only so many shops here that carry ebikes and most of the ebikes they have are ones like Bear, Haibike, and Reisse/Muller. Also unfortunate for Hawaii is that shipping isn't readily available, for the most part, without some work arounds, a reliable person in CONUS, and a sizeable chunk of extra money for shipping.

I'm looking at the following. A * means the manufacturer offers shipping to Hawaii via their website (price includes shipping) and @ means the bike is available at a bike shop:

Ride1Up 500* ($1465 w/ rack and fenders), 700* ($1685), or LMT'ed* ($1985)
Aventon Level@ ($1800)

I don't ride very far, but I ride 5 days a week and I ride to lots of face-to-face meetings (at least 3 per day). I'm not interested in getting a car since I should be leaving the island within the next year (plus the wife said no).

Everywhere I need to go is within about a 1.5 miles of where I live, it's relatively flat except for two easily-avoidable spots, and the roads are pretty decent, save for a few spots that are pretty worn down/chunked up.

Things I'm looking for are in no priority are:
Comfortable ride
Suspension (air or coil, not picky)
Integrated headlight and/or taillight
Rack and fenders provided (preferred) or available
"Soft" (e.g., not road bike tires) and wide tires
I really liked the cafe style handlebars on the 500, but it looks like when R1Up switched to the step through, the swept back handlebars are at a less "extreme" sweep

Any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

Edit 1: changed a word. Tried to type this out while feeding four kids under age 10 and get ready for work.

Last edited:
One thing I preferred with the Ride1UP vs. the Avention level is that the RideUP1 allows you to use 9 assist levels vs. 5 on the Level, and I have heard that the lowest levels of assist on the Ride1UP provide less assist power than the lowest level on the Aventon level, so I thought that was better for dialing in the amount of assist as to allow me to get decent exercise at less than 15 mph.

Thanks, GenX. Valid point. I feel like my trips are so short I won't need the precision of a 9 vs 5-level throttle response setting.

Another concern of mine is date of possession. Right now a shop on Oahu has the Level in stock; R1Up won't even begin shipping until Mid-Aug, so probably first-half September arrival at the earliest. That's almost two months away!

Have you ridden the level? What did you think? You'll probably be very happy with either of those choices, so don't overthink it 😉.

Personally, if I were ready to ride, I'd get the bike that's in stock now if I liked both choices anyway.

Have you ridden the level? What did you think? You'll probably be very happy with either of those choices, so don't overthink it 😉.

Personally, if I were ready to ride, I'd get the bike that's in stock now if I liked both choices anyway.

Unfortunately I haven't ridden any ebike before, let alone the ones I'm eyeing. I'm just kinda going for it and hoping everything works out.

Back