NBD Vado 3 IGH

Ebikelife72

Region
USA
Yet another new bike in my stable. I recently got the very awesome Tero X 5 and am very happy with it. When I bought I struggled with deciding to get it or the Vado 4. I loved the natural speed of the Vado but ultimately felt the full suspension and general do-it-all quality of the Tero X would be the better choice. I still feel I made the right decision. However, I still love the Vado, it's just such a great bike. My wife has a Vado 4.

Anyway, I'm also very interested in belt drives. I'd love to have the 5.0 IGH but they won't be available again for awhile. I recently had to put the Tero in the shop for a repair from a crash and was without a bike. I rode my wife's bike but it's a medium and I'm 6'3. It's still a very fun bike to ride. So I decided I needed a backup bike and got interested in the Vado 3 IGH due to the great price. I was concerned about the 50nm motor, the IGH gearing, and slightly concerned that it was a class 1. I tested a Como 3 IGH to get a sense of the motor and its power and felt the 50nm's were plenty. I was able to ride that bike comfortably at 20mph and no problem going 22mph though the motor cut out at 20. So the class issue was of no concern and I ordered the Vado.

I picked up the bike today and was surprised that it had a Class 3 sticker. I knew the chain driven bikes were Class 3 but I thought due to the Enviolo gearing the Vado 3 IGH was class 1 similar to the Como 3 IGH I tested. I thought the sticker may have been a mistake but it was not. The motor assisted up to 28mph. I was able to achieve 28mph on flat ground in turbo mode pretty easily with a cadence of I believe 94. I climbed some pretty steep hills without issue. This is a super fun bike at a steal of a price. I love how smooth and quiet it is, definitely a fan of the belt drive. With the ability to use my 710wh battery in it, I should be able to get some great range.

Attachments

• PXL_20231128_192346608.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231128_192346608.MP.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20231128_192405617.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231128_192405617.MP.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 77
I think the Tero 3 got a FW update to class 3 a few years ago, maybe the Vado 3 did at the same time?

There was also some early press kit that showed the Tero X 4 being class 1 (I saw it in some preview videos when I was shopping) but it shipped as a class 3, so it seems like the whole strategy of making the lowest SKU Class 1 changed.

I think the Tero 3 got a FW update to class 3 a few years ago, maybe the Vado 3 did at the same time?

There was also some early press kit that showed the Tero X 4 being class 1 (I saw it in some preview videos when I was shopping) but it shipped as a class 3, so it seems like the whole strategy of making the lowest SKU Class 1 changed.
The Vado 3 with the chain shows as a class 3 on the Specialized site, the IGH version still shows as a class 1. I think the chain version of the Como 3 shows as being class 3 and the Como IGH was definitely a class 1. I don't know what's going on with their bikes but I'm glad mine is class 3.

Congratulations @Ebikelife72 on your new ride! Vado is a fun on the pavement!
Regarding the Class, I thought all Vados has been Class 3 for a long time, so the information the American 3.0 IGH was expected to be Class 1 was really surprising to me...

Congratulations @Ebikelife72 on your new ride! Vado is a fun on the pavement!
Regarding the Class, I thought all Vados has been Class 3 for a long time, so the information the American 3.0 IGH was expected to be Class 1 was really surprising to me...
Thanks! All the Vado's may be Class 3, that definitely appears to be the case. The IGH version on their site is still showing to be class 1, the chain version shows to be class 3. They probably just failed to update their website.

Thanks! All the Vado's may be Class 3, that definitely appears to be the case. The IGH version on their site is still showing to be class 1, the chain version shows to be class 3. They probably just failed to update their website.
Tell me more with us in Europe stuck at 25 km/h :) (Except the Vado 6.0, which is a 45 km/h "moped"). I would be happy to be able legally riding an e-bike at Class 1 speed here! :)

I already have 2 eBikes, NCM Moscow Plus and the Walmart Hyper bike mid drive mountain bike. I love the feeling of the excellent mid drive motor of this cheap Hyper bike (Paid $1299) and I prefer it over the HUB motor on the NCM bike. Last week I ordered the Vado 3.0 IGH. I'm glad to hear that the 50NM motor has enough power. The Hyper bike has 80NM and is very powerful so I can climb very steep hills doing mountain biking. I planning to use the Vado for more relaxed gravel roads and cross country. $2500 for the Vado 3.0 IGH is a great price!

Back