Name your favorite accessory

skunkman

As I wait for delivery of my bikes I was wondering what accessories I might need. Besides a good helmet is there any accessory and/or gadget that you love to have with you.

Interesting avatar Skunkman!

Accessories; so many to choose from. In reverse order:

5. Bag & rack for my stuff. A gazillion on the market.
4. Comfortable saddle. I usually get a women’s specific one.
3. Bright lights so drivers can see me.
2. Suspension seat post. Kinect but others on the market.
1. Mirror. Been using Mirrcles for years

I could say a cell phone but these days they’re part of our physical bodies.

Toss up. NCX12 Seatpost or Raceface Chester pedals (or any nice spiked pedals probably).

Changing the pedals on my first bike made so much of a difference I still can't believe it today. Never even installed the stock pedals on my second bike, had a pair of the Raceface waiting when the bike arrived.

....of course I'm big on racks and bags as well I have more bags and backpacks than anyone needs in a few lifetimes.

Mirricycle is my choice. Need to see how far back my wife is when we ride. We have five of them on the various bikes..

Then I like to keep a multi-tool in one of the bikes. This one hasn't fallen apart on me yet.

And I like the old fashioned ding-a-ling bike bells. They're like $5-10 at Walmart.

Last edited:
any brand of mirror in particular?
My wife and I have used helmet mounted mirrors for decades. It's the one accessory I wouldn't leave home without. Being helmet mounted, we can also take them on our bike trips. We're using Cycleaware mirrors, but there are lots available.

I've been experimenting with handlebar mounted mirrors on my ebike recently thinking they might be better in traffic. I found mirrors mounted under the bar too distracting use, i.e. my eyes had to leave the road to use them. I tired 'shatter free' polished stainless steel mirrors; too much distortion. I've got a pair of Hafney reduced glare glass mirrors now. They do provide a wider field of view and make checking to the right much easier, but old habits die hard. I still find myself using the helmet mirror more often than not.

You didn't ask, but a very close 2nd is a decent water bottle. It gets thirsty out there...just sayin' 😎

any brand of mirror in particular?
Mirrycle FTW ;)

Useful accessories:
1. Rear-view mirror. The fact I haven't broken any of my four Mirrycles over many months with frequent falls of my bikes says something.
2. Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat-post. Worth every cent.
3. Good pedals. It is the rider's most personal item. I've standardised on CrankBrothers Stamp 1 pedals.
4. Good grips. You cannot lose with Ergon GP3 or GP5
5. Ortlieb panniers with QL 2.1 system (fit any rack). Bike Packer Classic for bigger ones or E-mate for a compact one. If the Bike Packer Classic, it has to come with Ortlieb Commuter Inserts (sold separately)
6. Saddle: it is even more personal choice than the pedals. I'm all for Ergon ST Core Prime.
7. Bell: Knog Oi! (two sizes available, needs to be selected for specific handlebars)
8. Proper lighting, provided the bike has none.

There are lots more ideas on ways to spend more $ on your bike in these threads;

Ride on!

A co-worker picked up the Arkel Haul-it, and I loved it so much I've got one on order.

Perfect for those times when I make an impromptu shop-stop and don't have my huge 30L panniers, and also ended my search for a backpack with pannier hangers on it.

Also, the Hafny bar end mirrors are great if you have a folding bike as they easily get out of the way, and have just the right resistance to stay in place when riding.

Toss up. NCX12 Seatpost or Raceface Chester pedals (or any nice spiked pedals probably).

Changing the pedals on my first bike made so much of a difference I still can't believe it today. Never even installed the stock pedals on my second bike, had a pair of the Raceface waiting when the bike arrived.

....of course I'm big on racks and bags as well I have more bags and backpacks than anyone needs in a few lifetimes.
Wow, I never considered this as one of the first accessories to swap out. Sounds like better pedals than stock ones translates into smoother motion and better contact with shoe to pedal. I am seeing the Raceface or Crank-Bros are the best option over their generic counterparts? I am still using the Haibike stock pedals on my eMTB for the past year.

Wow, I never considered this as one of the first accessories to swap out. Sounds like better pedals than stock ones translates into smoother motion and better contact with shoe to pedal. I am seeing the Raceface or Crank-Bros are the best option over their generic counterparts? I am still using the Haibike stock pedals on my eMTB for the past year.
Well to be fair never even tried the stock pedals on the second bike, because I was so surprised how much better they were on the first bike I figured all stock pedals on these <2K bikes were probably the same crap (even though second bike was over 2K). I think it was the contact. grip that made it feel like a completely different ride. Have not tried any other than the Raceface Chester so I can't say what the other alternatives are really like. Just really could not believe the difference. The new contact provided a more sure footed feeling of control and like the power was going into the pedals not sort of riding on top.

Back