MY2021 N. America new models preview

A well-done website. Some/other manufacturers can learn a thing or two from them.

More information from Electrek... https://electrek.co/2020/10/21/gazelle-announces-new-electric-bicycles-ultimate-c380-belt-drive/

1603302110411.png

Last edited:
Gazelle baffles me by inadequate specs of their e-bikes given in their website. Look to Specialized, Giant, Trek, Cube, etc. sites: Even the smallest components are listed in detail. Gazelle gives descriptors:
Fork material: aluminium
Fork suspension type: telescopic
Travel Fork: 80 mm
What fork is it? Air Spring or Coil Spring? Make? QR or Thru-Axle? What size of the axle?

Or,
Gear system description: 10-speed Shimano XT (what groupset, what shifter, what gearing?)
Gear type: derailleur
Gears: 10 (What cassette, dammit!)
Rear derailleur: Shimano XT
Front chainwheel: 55
Brake system short description: hydraulic brakes, 4 piston (What brakes, exactly?)
Brake Front: disc brake with hydraulic control (What rotor size?)
Brake Rear: Disc brake with hydraulic control (What rotor size?)

Now, Specialized (Vado 5.0):
FORK: SR Suntour NCX E25, alloy steerer, 15mm thru-axle, 44mm offset, 50mm of travel
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano XT, Shadow Plus, GS cage, 11-speed
SHIFT LEVERS: Shimano SLX, 11-speed w/ Optical Gear Display
CASSETTE: Shimano SLX, 11-speed, 11-42t
CHAIN: Shimano HG601, 11spd
CRANKSET: Custom alloy forged crankarms
CHAINRINGS: 48T, custom alloy
FRONT BRAKE: Shimano Deore XT, hydraulic disc, 180mm
REAR BRAKE: Shimano Deore XT, hydraulic disc, 160mm

However Gazelle e-bikes look like, I wouldn't put a cent for an e-bike with so undefined specification... Because I feel they're trying to cheat me.
P.S. Gazelle might hire a native English speaker to maintain their website. Their Dutch English is poor there. "Engine"? Really? "Chainwheel"?! :D

Last edited:
A little harsh Stefan, the Dutch are ahead of everyone else when it comes to ebikes. Have you seen their indoor test track De Fietser? I find a lot of appeal in Gazelle’s attention to detail including using rust resistant hardware and paint, full chain cases, and now belt drive, designed to be left out in the rain, upright riding position, lights, fenders, rack on every model, perfect for transportation riding in all weathers.

Last edited:
A little harsh Stefan, the Dutch are ahead of everyone else when it comes to ebikes. Have you seen their indoor test track De Fietser? I find a lot of appeal in Gazelle’s attention to detail including using rust resistant hardware, full chain cases, and now belt drive, designed to be left out the rain. I wish the British government supported cycling infrastructure and domestic bicycle manufacturing the way the Dutch do.
I'm with Stefan on this one. Especially with $3000 to $4000 ebikes. There better be some dang nice components and specs on them. And if you can't tell at first glance on line, then pass. (And no the Dutch are nowhere near 'ahead of everyone' on manufacturing. That's an awfully broad platitude to be conjecturing upon.i would agree however they are the market leader in the Netherlands. )

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree the support information on their website could be better organized, I found how to remove the chaincase piece that enables changing the tire on the rear wheel on the Gazelle Australia website. Presumably they give the marketing folk in each region a budget and let them run with what they think appeals. I appreciated their US marketing efforts participating in the traveling ebike expo’s and the month-long test ride program for the roll out of the Easy Flow/Ami model

@Dewey, I don't want to sound rude. I'll only say the nation that has the expertise in e-bikes is called "the German" :) The Swiss next.
P.S. Name a leading Dutch e-bike motor :D

While I love reading about the German ebike market in ElektroRad Magazin, and agree the German ‘trekking’ ebike concept works better for climbing variable terrain, I like Gazelle’s playfulness, they have multiple motor brands in their line up, in part they live the motto every person has a bike that is right for them. I like they went with the excellent Shimano Steps E6100 on the 2021 EasyFlow, and the Bosch driven belt drive Ultimate models are great all rounders.

Last edited:
I have nothing against Gazelle. I wouldn't buy a Gazelle because of the poor information on their website. Two different matters. I would buy a Cube instead because I not only love the looks of their e-bikes but also the proper specs on their website ;)

I have nothing against Gazelle. I wouldn't buy a Gazelle because of the poor information on their website. Two different matters. I would buy a Cube instead because I not only love the looks of their e-bikes but also the proper specs on their website ;)
The Cube Kathmandu is excellent

Yeah they probably didnt want to hire someone to maintain their website content. I looked and it does seem to be lacking.

The LBS I went to called “Propel” had all the deets on their website ... certainly more than whats on the Gazelle website. Lmao! Im guessing Gazelle usually sell their bikes through to the LBS. The LBS does the marketing and sell through to the customer.

The Gazelle bike I rode the other day Medeo T10+ was amazing. 😍

I felt like I was riding in a nice fancy car except that it was a bike.

I also rode a R&M bike but its too rich for my blood right now. I think I love belt drives now and ill look for that in my next commuter next time Im in the market for a commuter bike.

Last edited:
Im liking the belt drive designs. Less maintenance and smoother shifting. What are the real downsides to a belt drive?
Higher up front costs is the main one. The seat stay has to have a break in it to install the belt. And also higher parts cost. Some folks are concerned about the higher tension of the belt reducing bearing life in the IGH. Also if you want to change the gear ratio by changing the chainring, it will be more expensive and could be very difficult to find the correct length belt.

Higher up front costs is the main one. The seat stay has to have a break in it to install the belt. And also higher parts cost. Some folks are concerned about the higher tension of the belt reducing bearing life in the IGH. Also if you want to change the gear ratio by changing the chainring, it will be more expensive and could be very difficult to find the correct length belt.
Thank you for this. Most of these issues sound like edge cases where youd want a LBS to handle it for you and shouldnt happen more than once in a year or even several years. 🤔

Gazelle baffles me by inadequate specs of their e-bikes given in their website. Look to Specialized, Giant, Trek, Cube, etc. sites: Even the smallest components are listed in detail. Gazelle gives descriptors:
Fork material: aluminium
Fork suspension type: telescopic
Travel Fork: 80 mm
What fork is it? Air Spring or Coil Spring? Make? QR or Thru-Axle? What size of the axle?

Or,
Gear system description: 10-speed Shimano XT (what groupset, what shifter, what gearing?)
Gear type: derailleur
Gears: 10 (What cassette, dammit!)
Rear derailleur: Shimano XT
Front chainwheel: 55
Brake system short description: hydraulic brakes, 4 piston (What brakes, exactly?)
Brake Front: disc brake with hydraulic control (What rotor size?)
Brake Rear: Disc brake with hydraulic control (What rotor size?)

Now, Specialized (Vado 5.0):
FORK: SR Suntour NCX E25, alloy steerer, 15mm thru-axle, 44mm offset, 50mm of travel
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano XT, Shadow Plus, GS cage, 11-speed
SHIFT LEVERS: Shimano SLX, 11-speed w/ Optical Gear Display
CASSETTE: Shimano SLX, 11-speed, 11-42t
CHAIN: Shimano HG601, 11spd
CRANKSET: Custom alloy forged crankarms
CHAINRINGS: 48T, custom alloy
FRONT BRAKE: Shimano Deore XT, hydraulic disc, 180mm
REAR BRAKE: Shimano Deore XT, hydraulic disc, 160mm

However Gazelle e-bikes look like, I wouldn't put a cent for an e-bike with so undefined specification... Because I feel they're trying to cheat me.
P.S. Gazelle might hire a native English speaker to maintain their website. Their Dutch English is poor there. "Engine"? Really? "Chainwheel"?! :D
Could it be that they simply plan to sell their bikes to dummies?

BRAIN report Gazelle's Dutch owner Pon Bike have decided for N America for 2021 to distribute Urban Arrow cargo ebikes for consumers through Gazelle's dealership network, and for business owners through Saris Cycling. Pon own both brands.

Back