My UC Pro has arrived

Can't think of anyone more competent than you. Here, https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/quick-update-on-archon-rohloff-kindernay-tests.35904/ are Pushkar's results. Can you decode them for us?
1000WEcoAll gears work 1-14.All gears work 1-14.
SportGears 1-5, Slips beyond gear 5 if starting from dead stop or going uphill. (total torque exceeds 250Nm)Gears 1-7, Slips beyond gear 7 if starting from dead stop or going uphill. (total torque exceeds 250Nm)
To relate to a cassette, would you want to start or apply large torque in the 11 tooth cog or 50 tooth cog? His chart is saying the same thing. Gear down to go up hills, gear up when spinning out or going faster. It took me maybe two rides to figure the Kindernay out. I still get in wrong gears (too low or too high) but all I do is stop pedaling, let motor shut off (or anticipate!!!) and then shift so I can easily spin between 40-90 RPM again. Any higher or lower requires an appropriate shift….IMHO!

There is a program parameter that appears to give the Mode a power boost depending upon cadence. Today I climbed my local hill all in Mode 1 where before Mode 2 or throttle was needed as my cadence was slower….
-BB

Just tried to take off a crank arm, but my crank arm puller wouldn't work. Is there a special crank arm puller for Bafang motors? Will I need a Bafang tool to take off the spider ring?

Edit: I just watched a video on taking the crank arm off an Ultra motor. Looks like the crank arm puller from my cheap bike tool kit won't work. Time to buy a another puller.

Edit, edit: Looks like I'm missing a part that should have come with the crank puller, but didn't. Looks like it's off to the local bike shop tomorrow.

Last edited:
@Fast n' Furious you're all over the place with this. I never blamed anybody for anything regarding their IGH, I don't know the situation regarding Kindernay failures or how those cases were resolved (as I've already stated), and I already posted an email response I received directly from the company about why they discontinued the fat hub. You're creating arguments in your head to argue against at this point and I'm not really sure what your goal or the point you're trying to make here is anymore. I'm not sure where Kindernay has been smearing people who've had a hub failure under normal operation, so where does the GM analogy come in here? You're acting like there's mass failures of poorly designed hubs and the company is shuttering up and blaming end-users. You're being incredibly dramatic by saying I'm suggesting shutting off the entire system when I say "don't pedal as hard for literally a quarter-second when you shift" which is exactly what another user suggested and has had success with at far higher power than recommended or warrantied by the company.

@Fast n' Furious you're all over the place with this. I never blamed anybody for anything regarding their IGH, I don't know the situation regarding Kindernay failures or how those cases were resolved (as I've already stated), and I already posted an email response I received directly from the company about why they discontinued the fat hub. You're creating arguments in your head to argue against at this point and I'm not really sure what your goal or the point you're trying to make here is anymore. I'm not sure where Kindernay has been smearing people who've had a hub failure under normal operation, so where does the GM analogy come in here? You're acting like there's mass failures of poorly designed hubs and the company is shuttering up and blaming end-users. You're being incredibly dramatic by saying I'm suggesting shutting off the entire system when I say "don't pedal as hard for literally a quarter-second when you shift" which is exactly what another user suggested and has had success with at far higher power than recommended or warrantied by the company.
Thank you for the insight.
I think the company is shuttering up? Perhaps. Maybe like Troll (automobile) did ?
Academic to me. They don't make a fat frame anything.
Your first post of the bikecalc showed the upper right corner gear setting at "12". When were you wrong, then or now?
You claimed you went to the knay site, then posted false price results, and while claiming you were posting a screenshot of the page, you didn't. Only a screenshot of something irrelevant to your incorrect claims.
So I went there, and found entirely different info on price. I was polite but checked, and price has been the same for 3 months.
-
You said you checked when again? October wasn't it?
I have to paint you a picture. You don't even get "Mass".
No making up arguments needed. I ordered my machine after careful deliberation.
My mind was made up - after 6 months of meticulously plotting my build - then and still is.
I think you are projecting your own nagging lack of faith on me.
Who cares what you say about 'dainty' pedaling? The same post where I showed the reports on IGH's said that the only way to avoid the problem you are blaming the user for is to shut down. Not me. Endless Sphere.
Socratic Dialectic reasoning is effective to reach convictions. Analogies date back to Aristotle.
Intellectual dishonesty is a disease.
Be civil. You're seeing phantoms. I respect your right to any opinion - no matter how incorrect I may find it.
It's not about me or you.
I super respect BB and he 100% disagrees with me about this issue. I really hope to track how his Hydra does. If it'll break with a pro piloting, he'll break it.
Get his dander up. lol. Man's brain-trust and brooks little dissent, suffering fools.
I've never even owned an IGH and I'm not saying they will all fail. I'm saying the the company information indicates x y z and there have been some complaints - but a good IT clean-up company can beat anything back to page 90 on the web.
If I thought I might buy one, I'd ask them what the nominal rating is, not just the max.
Nominal is the Duty rating. Max is the edge of destruction rating.
Last I have to say.

Fn'Fn'

Just tried to take off a crank arm, but my crank arm puller wouldn't work. Is there a special crank arm puller for Bafang motors? Will I need a Bafang tool to take off the spider ring?

Edit: I just watched a video on taking the crank arm off an Ultra motor. Looks like the crank arm puller from my cheap bike tool kit won't work. Time to buy a another puller.

Edit, edit: Looks like I'm missing a part that should have come with the crank puller, but didn't. Looks like it's off to the local bike shop tomorrow.
Hey Deacon -- I just got an e back from 'schristini' regarding the fat spider we require.

New message from: schristini

Should have more in two weeks or less. Check christinibicycles for updates.​

Hope this helps!

Fn'F

Thanks for the update, Fn'F.
I'm hoping to install my Bafang fat spider on my UC Pro tomorrow.
I need to visit my local bike stores to see if anyone sells a crank arm puller and a tool to take off the bottom bracket ring.

@Fast n' Furious - dude you are so correct. If it can be broken, I will definitely break it! I have a wall of shame in the barn bike stall of broken cranks, seats, chain rings, posts, cassettes, etc. and I will report any/all findings in my Adventures!! FYI- is my first IGH too. I believe Pushkar said he is using the Kindernay in his 3.5kw testing.

Like a chain and cassette being stressed, if your ear buds are not too loud, you can hear it and stop it before $#it happens…..

My theory of operation at the moment and all TBD! Have >115 miles…
-BB

Thanks for the update, Fn'F.
I'm hoping to install my Bafang fat spider on my UC Pro tomorrow.
I need to visit my local bike stores to see if anyone sells a crank arm puller and a tool to take off the bottom bracket ring.
I not waiting on buying a christini. 90 sold out on ebay in one post's cycle and it's a unique product, so I'm putting one away for my CT delivery - possibly even send to Pushkar to replace stock.

Happy Thanksgiving !!

@Fast n' Furious - dude you are so correct. If it can be broken, I will definitely break it! I have a wall of shame in the barn bike stall of broken cranks, seats, chain rings, posts, cassettes, etc. and I will report any/all findings in my Adventures!! FYI- is my first IGH too. I believe Pushkar said he is using the Kindernay in his 3.5kw testing.

Like a chain and cassette being stressed, if your ear buds are not too loud, you can hear it and stop it before $#it happens…..

My theory of operation at the moment and all TBD! Have >115 miles…
-BB
He said "IGH" 👏 !!! Dang 🤪 !!!

I have a cheap puller (from the Luna tool kit) and improvised with a bolt that gave it the requisite leverage. Here's a pic. Basically insert the bolt into the hollow part of the crank.

PXL_20211125_060100228.jpg

@Fast n' Furious you can't stay on the topic of bicycles so the conversation isn't productive, you've clearly got bigger things on your mind. You can plug in different numbers where that '3' was in the bike calc tool and see yourself how it changes. It is the increments in cadence through the range from the chart. You should be able to determine that from the clear output from the tool or by plugging in different numbers in the field or even just moving the cursor over the area to read the tool-tip that tells what it does. I told you what it does but apparently my word isn't good enough. For the sake of Deacon's thread let's leave it there.

Happy riding! 🖖

@Deacon Blues
the tool for the spider is a 44mm 16-notch, Park Tool BBT-19.2 is the PT part, any of the links here work. I think a couple of them actually pulled from comments from TomD in other threads, go figure lol. It's super weird about the cranks needing a puller. I could have sworn WW cranks were made for them by Miranda and my Miranda cranks have self-extracting bolts that are fixed into the crank arm so as you unthread them the arm is pushed off the crank. When you re-install them put a little assembly grease on the outside of the axle so the arm is less likely to seize up on there. Maxima waterproof (blue jar) is the same as the Chris King blue at 1/5th the price.

tool for the spider lock ring
cheap amazon one, another, nicer cheap one - I bought this one, official PT one and not that expensive, fancy Wolftooth one if you want US-made

I bought a crank puller, but I couldn't find the correct bottom bracket tool, so I ended up taking the bike to a local bike shop that I deal with.
I haven't had a chance to ride the bike yet (raining again), but the mechanic took the bike for a short ride and said that he couldn't get the chain to skip in the smallest cog.

Both the mechanic and shop owner were really impressed with the bike's overall quality.

loamoaf, thanks for the links for the bottom bracket tool. I ended up ordering the Park Tool.

Last edited:
@Fast n' Furious you can't stay on the topic of bicycles so the conversation isn't productive, you've clearly got bigger things on your mind. You can plug in different numbers where that '3' was in the bike calc tool and see yourself how it changes. It is the increments in cadence through the range from the chart. You should be able to determine that from the clear output from the tool or by plugging in different numbers in the field or even just moving the cursor over the area to read the tool-tip that tells what it does. I told you what it does but apparently my word isn't good enough. For the sake of Deacon's thread let's leave it there.

Happy riding! 🖖

@Deacon Blues
the tool for the spider is a 44mm 16-notch, Park Tool BBT-19.2 is the PT part, any of the links here work. I think a couple of them actually pulled from comments from TomD in other threads, go figure lol. It's super weird about the cranks needing a puller. I could have sworn WW cranks were made for them by Miranda and my Miranda cranks have self-extracting bolts that are fixed into the crank arm so as you unthread them the arm is pushed off the crank. When you re-install them put a little assembly grease on the outside of the axle so the arm is less likely to seize up on there. Maxima waterproof (blue jar) is the same as the Chris King blue at 1/5th the price.

tool for the spider lock ring
cheap amazon one, another, nicer cheap one - I bought this one, official PT one and not that expensive, fancy Wolftooth one if you want US-made
The "Topic" is not "bicycles". Bicycles don't use christini offsets but, I apologize. I'm trying to learn something here.
Please point me to a screenshot of the "tool-tip that tells what it does"?
I did 'hover the field' and it says: "Enter the cadence range: Ex: (from) 30 - (to) 130 (by) 10".
You're just smarter than me. I see: 30 (rpm) x 130 (rpm) / 10 (number of gears) = the left column information.
I over it, having punched in a known quantity and the outcome I get and not getting the correct answer.
What burns me up is showing me tool that has a mystery, then declaring - without any logical evidence - what it is not, while repeatedly avoiding the question what it is. Yeah, that's a personal problem.
Thanks and happy thanksgiving !

If it ever stops raining I'll be able to take my Pro for a ride, so I can take it through the gears. My only concern is with the deep-dish spiders the 'Q' factor is going to be increased substantially.
I'll have to see how it affects the ride. I don't want to get off the bike and walk like John Wayne. :p

What is going on in this thread? Please keep it helpful and about Bikes.
I find the majority of it helpful - and about the topic: "Deacons e-bike travails w/ chain-line, a bit off track", but then, comment > comments = (uh, yeah. I get it).
Thanks for the moderation!

Back