My UC Pro has arrived

Aye I edited my dumb comment because I mixed up the numbers (didn't recheck the diagram in #78 before posting) - that 70mm on the outside of the Bafang fat spider is for a 190mm hub. Looks like I may need spacers to clear 197mm - I have no idea if the Christini fat spider is the same offset as the stock Bafang but the Christini models either come in 177 or 197 so my assumption is the inboard/outboard would work with those - they're using either 11-spd or 12-spd depending on model. Still waiting on my shifter to arrive.

It just occured to me that if Kindernay is no longer doing fat hubs (boooo!) then any frame wider than 148mm (boost) would no longer have that option available. Only IGH option would be Rohloff. Sucks because the Kindernay VII is 'only' €1000/$1130/$1430 CAD which is far cheaper than a Rohloff.

@Merle Nelson I couldn't do the eyeball thing anymore... too much pain & money wasted. $50 on a nice stainless digital caliper may still to this day be the best $50 I've ever spent. As for "shifting under power" I think a better term would be "shifting under load" - as in stomping on the pedals in PAS9 or whatever. There's a moment when the chain comes off the previous gear and the chain has a tiny bit of slack in it that gets taken up. So say you're in gear A and shift to gear B; the chain initially moves over at the bottom of the cog or the beginning of where it starts to wrap, and the chain is now wrapping cog B as it rotates. Once the wheel turns to the point there are no more teeth on cog A engaging the chain and it's completely on cog B there's a small impact when that few mm of slack in the chain is taken up and it gets pulled tight on the chainring. This is for shifting up a gear which is why you should always let it settle in that gear first. Downshifting shouldn't have this issue as the larger cog kepts the chain tight as it 'picks it up' off the smaller one. Jump too many cogs though and you have far fewer teeth engaged on the chain altogether, meaning the teeth that are engage are dealing with way more force. As long as you have the proper chainline (2mm out from the center cog to allow clearance, think Jon mentioned that) then you won't have any issues. People love the 1x for its simplicity and reliability and stuff a 12spd on there no problem - 12 spds are the same spacing as an 11 spd but with an extra cog so they're wider, and they still work fine when set up properly.
Thanks for the update.
After delivery and assuring myself the alignment is proper, when I'm on the road I'll decide if I like 12sp.
I'm not a fan of endless gears. Beefier gears, yes!
I had no concept of the upshift's obvious weakness.
How do I 'settle in a gear' just upshifted, without inputting the pedals torque? No turn pedals, no shift.
Catch 22. No, I'm not hitting the display and manually turning my level down first.
Call it load, power, ergs or force, the bike cannot be shifted while not applying 'that stuff'.

Fn'F

I guess this is really the crux of the situation. My guess would be pedal a little slower than you need to travel at whatever speed you're going at so you can rotate the cassette without actually putting too much force through the wheel (cassette has to want to spin faster than the wheel is spinning for the hub to engage) - when I say 'settle in' I guess I mean just get the chain fully on the gear you're shifting into. This kinda leads me to ask Deacon this question... how do you feel about the X1? is it easy for you to control cadence & power? Feel pretty natural?

I am silently losing my mind waiting but I know they're in the 1300's for orders and I'm in the low 1400's... Innotrace may be super backlogged but at least my order went in long before the 9/1 cutoff for orders they have enough controllers to cover for.

I have a display and battery charger questions:
1. There's no number or name on the display, so I don't know what model it is. It sits in the center of the handlebar. I can't get into the menu. Pushkar said to press the 'on' button and then quickly press it twice more. It worked the first time I tried it, but I can't get to work again. It just goes straight to the regular display.

2. I have the WW charger that is adjustable. I set it for 90%, but it only charges the battery (shown on the display) to 78%. Can anyone tell me why that is?
Also, another dial shows 2,4,6,8,10A. What should I have it set to? Right now it's set to 10A.

So Kindernay is no longer producing a unit that will fit a fat bike hub spacing? That sucks!

Loamoaf, my bike came with all the available watts (2300?), which, for the way I ride, too much. I'd be happier (as would my drive train) with 1000W. The power is addictive, though.

After today's ride I took off the throttle, which allowed me to move the +- button controller closer to the brake lever. Now I can use the buttons without having to take my hand off the handlebar.
The power delivery was jerky when using the throttle, so it won't be missed.

It sounds like some have found ways of improving the throttle control to smooth it out if you ever want it again Ron. Also in my post above I was surprised I had forgotten that Kindernay is not offering the fat bike hub at this time. (As I understand it.) They may again, plus someone somewhere has one they would let go of if you decide you want one. (As I understand it K has some for replacement units that they are keeping back too.)

I hear it's pretty much the same price (it was on WW's website for a few weeks), but the new shifter adds +$600 more to the 7.
The 7 is not much better ratio than a SA 3sp - and SA's BULLETPROOF, easily replaced at low costs, readily available in the civilized world.
I like the pretty colors, or just think finally Norway has finally produced something world class - besides a bobsled?
Well then, lets have the K'nay owners speak up? I say when the big K'nay 14 says "160Nm MAX or no warranty" right on their catalog makes it unsuitable for ant Ultra with more than 1000watts.
Real question is, why you buy a bike with 200Nm's?
You don't believe K'nay or WW?
You know more than them?
God likes you?
Mom said you are special?
Rome was right. "Mooooo. Baaaaaaa. 'Look at the pretty colors. Forget the specs, I kicked the tires and a-okay".
I thought I was hangin' w/ folks above the herd mentality. Still think so too, but somebody has to ask.
Let's hear the owners speak.

Fn'F'n for sure
Ahhh and I forgot that little shifter $ detail, didn't I?

I have a display and battery charger questions:
1. There's no number or name on the display, so I don't know what model it is. It sits in the center of the handlebar. I can't get into the menu. Pushkar said to press the 'on' button and then quickly press it twice more. It worked the first time I tried it, but I can't get to work again. It just goes straight to the regular display.

2. I have the WW charger that is adjustable. I set it for 90%, but it only charges the battery (shown on the display) to 78%. Can anyone tell me why that is?
Also, another dial shows 2,4,6,8,10A. What should I have it set to? Right now it's set to 10A.
The display is DPC18. Double press the "i" button to enter the menu. Allow me to link to a competitor for the user manual. 😂

I found the DPC18 and the 500C battery percentages conservative compared to the charts found online. Kind of like how empty on a gas gauge isn't really empty.

I always charge at 10A. That is the maximum for five 35E cells in parallel according to the Samsung datasheet. You can charge at 4A for maximum life cycles.

@Deacon Blues if your display looks like this it's the 750C here's a thread including link to manual for it
1637483812571.png

The K-VII is 428% range, I don't recall where I saw the specific ratios but its top end is higher than the XIV's - I am speed
I have no idea how the Onesie shifter would add $600 to the cost of the hub when the Kindernay store shows the €1000 price of the hub with either shifter option.
The 160Nm warning & warranty coverage is a big part of what influenced me to just want 1000W out of the X1

The SA3 is 177%, SA4 210%, SA5 243% and as far as I can tell none of them come in a thru-axle standard unfortunately. I do know of someone who slapped an RX-RK5 on their bike with a BBSHD and it wasn't giving them much grief but I have no idea what wattage they run. The X-RK4 gives the highest top gear ratio

TDA's right about the 35E's - they are a good high capacity cell but they don't really like being run at the top end of their ratings for maxing the cycle life. The 500 minimum standard cycle life is given using 1020mA charging & 3400mA discharge (850~900W on a 52V) - but weirdly the cycle life rating they give is to 60% instead of 80%... anywho watching the max charge and discharge voltage is going to help to lengthen that cycle life way more

I'm trying to catch a sunrise on a mountain so off to sleep I go

I sped read this and missed that. You confirmed the bafang fat will fit a 197mm? I keep seeing it's for a 'boost' width.
Yes--the FAT, not the Boost. However, for the record I need to revise that statement slightly. While test fitting some really fat tires and spending some more time eyeballing lately, I'd say it's not perfectly in the center--more like 1.5-2mm inboard of center of a 12 speed cassette. This matches what you'd expect based upon the Bafang drawings posted earlier. In any case, especially when compared with the chainlines posted in this thread and others, even if not optimum it's certainly pretty darn close and has been close enough to work very well as I've never had a chain skip in the smaller cogs with 1500 peak watts. Of course I don't make a habit of hitting full power in the small cogs at low speeds (shouldn't do that anyway). And interestingly, in that BikeRumor! article loamoaf posted they said 70-72mm works the best and so the Bafang standard of 70mm should give one confidence you're starting in the right ballpark. But it does make me feel a bit better as I won't need to feel guilty spacing the chainring out a bit for more tire clearance.

Looks like I may need spacers to clear 197mm -

I'm interested to see what you'll need to clear those 2XL's. Temporarily mounting the Johnny 5's on 80mm rims (with tubes) I get no chain rubbing without any spacers. However, it is close and I suspect with wider wheels and after some tire stretch, I'll need some spacers.
My next concern is should I go 9sp?
The Prime 9 certainly does solve a bunch of these issues, as the biggest cog is spaced outboard 6mm relative to a 12 speed. This makes it possible for a much better chainline at both ends of the cassette. I just wish the reviews of their derailleurs gave me more of a warm fuzzy. I get the impression they'd be a downgrade from the Sram stuff I'm used to and didn't feel like experimenting at this time. Maybe I will at some point in the future....

What is the difference between a fat bike adapter and a boost adapter? Is the fat bike adapter more 'dished'?

In a text conversation with Pushkar I asked him if my bike had a CT frame. He said it was the old version of the UC Pro frame.

When it comes to frames and hub widths I had no idea I was getting a boosted or Fat rear hub. When Pushkar told me the bike was coming with 3" wide tires I was surprised, but didn't realized the bike was coming with wider tires to fill the space created by the boost spaced hub. At least that why I think he installed 3" instead of the regular 2.4" tires.

If someone at WW had taken this bike for a ride and applied any pedal power in the first 3 cassette cogs they would have noticed the skipping. Going through the gears on a bike stand wouldn't be the same.
Just a look at the chain line with the chain on the smallest cog would have alerted anyone with a modicum of bike knowledge that there was going to be serious chain cross issues with this setup.

Here's what I think happened:
This is an older UC Pro frame with wide rear hub spacing. In the past these bikes have been built with an internal hub shifting setup (Rohloff, kindernay, etc).
The shifting worked fine because the bike was set up to work with the Rohloff/Kindernay hub. The belt had to be perfectly lined up to work properly and it was. No one who purchased this bike in the past had complained about skipping because the bike was build properly and didn't skip.

Then I asked for something different
I asked for a Shimano 11 speed derailleur instead of a Kindernay hub, because I'd heard about some issues with the Kindernay hub (leaking). "Sure', said Pushkar, "no problem."
But there was a problem.....a huge problem.

No one at WW realized that it takes more than just changing out the hub shifter for a derailleur and installing a bafang chain ring and chain. No one at WW bothered to take the bike out for a test ride and put it through its paces. If they had they would have noticed the massive skipping in the first three cogs.
They would have realized that there is no way the bike should go out to a customer in this state.
Instead, they should have done one of two things; tell the customer that only the Kindernay hub would work with this UC Pro frame, or spend some time trying to fix this problem (i.e. installing a Bafang Fat spider).
But they didn't, so I ended up with an expensive bike that can't do what it's supposed to do (be a high speed commuter).
In another post I'll talk about the bike's second battery mount on the top tube that I didn't ask for and could never, every use. The installed mount and battery adds 4 or 5 inches in height to the top tube making it impossible to step off the seat when coming to a stop. Putting the battery on the top tube was a a really, really dumb idea.

I went for a long ride today and as long as I kept the the cassette on the 15t cog, or larger, the chain didn't skip, but as soon as I shifted into the 13T cog the chain started to skip.
This meant that I had to ride using the 15t cog, which worked out to around 18/19mph, with a 80-90 cadence. To go any faster I had to pedal like a maniac.
I should be able to cruise at 25+ mph with this motor, but the way the bike was delivered that's impossible.

I'm hoping that the Fat spider that Pushkar is sending me will allow me to use the 11t and 13t cog, and allow me to ride my Commuter bike at commuter speeds. I'm not sure if it's possible, but this bike also needs a larger front chain ring, so the chain isn't constantly on the smallest cog at cruising speeds.

I WOULD NOT recommend anyone ordering this bike with a derailleur set up. If you do you will be disappointed.

Unfortunately, I have to say that if I had a chance to do over again I would NOT have ordered this bike.

Ron
What size is your front ring? You should be able to go to a larger front ring to offset the loss of the first two cogs on the cassette.

@Jon A the Nextie's I've got on order are the 95mm ones and I've been wondering about the chain clearing the 2
1637518921139.png
XL's too (though not until after I bought them, as is tradition). I had expected them to ship this past week (fits lead time they gave me & the timing of my last order with them) but I'm not too worried - yet. I only test fit everything with the cheap Deckas 40T chainring on the outside of the spider, which it fits perfectly fine with no spacers and there were no issues with chain clearance on the cassette cogs. The only reason I need the 2.5mm spacers is to get a gap between the tiny 30T chaintring and the spider so the chain will fit on the teeth. Also - according to Manitou's chart the 2XL casing is narrower than Surly Bud, Lou, Knard 4.8, and Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.8 - the main difference is height but I thing the lugs are a little wider than the casing too. Are you running your chainring on the inside or outside of your spider to clear the J5's? Them thangs studded?

If anyone (cough-cough @Fast n' Furious cough) wants to take a crack at SRAM EX1 I've got a shifter+shiftmix bracket (with SP41 housing), derailleur, and chain looking for a new home! You'll just be married to the $380-450 EX1 cassette (to be fair people report 5000+ miles only replacing chains) or see if a 10-spd with 2 cogs removed & a spacer on the freehub behind the cassette plays well with it. Apparently the EX1 uses 10-spd spacing which is why it didn't work with my regular 8-spd cassette and oh my god I just now realize I spent way more than I needed to switching to Shimano+Garbaruk when I could have just done this instead...

I'll see my way out 🤡

I went for a 45km ride today. The more I ride this bike the more I like it.

The only problem I had was not being able to access the display's menu. No matter how many times I try (hold the power button down to turn the display on and then quickly press the power button twice) the display won't go to the menu.
A couple of days ago I was able to get into the menu, following the same procedure, but now it doesn't work.

Edit: After downloading and reading the manual it looks like I was pressing the wrong button to get into the menu.

Last edited:
Yes--the FAT, not the Boost. However, for the record I need to revise that statement slightly. While test fitting some really fat tires and spending some more time eyeballing lately, I'd say it's not perfectly in the center--more like 1.5-2mm inboard of center of a 12 speed cassette. This matches what you'd expect based upon the Bafang drawings posted earlier. In any case, especially when compared with the chainlines posted in this thread and others, even if not optimum it's certainly pretty darn close and has been close enough to work very well as I've never had a chain skip in the smaller cogs with 1500 peak watts. Of course I don't make a habit of hitting full power in the small cogs at low speeds (shouldn't do that anyway). And interestingly, in that BikeRumor! article loamoaf posted they said 70-72mm works the best and so the Bafang standard of 70mm should give one confidence you're starting in the right ballpark. But it does make me feel a bit better as I won't need to feel guilty spacing the chainring out a bit for more tire clearance.

I'm interested to see what you'll need to clear those 2XL's. Temporarily mounting the Johnny 5's on 80mm rims (with tubes) I get no chain rubbing without any spacers. However, it is close and I suspect with wider wheels and after some tire stretch, I'll need some spacers.

The Prime 9 certainly does solve a bunch of these issues, as the biggest cog is spaced outboard 6mm relative to a 12 speed. This makes it possible for a much better chainline at both ends of the cassette. I just wish the reviews of their derailleurs gave me more of a warm fuzzy. I get the impression they'd be a downgrade from the Sram stuff I'm used to and didn't feel like experimenting at this time. Maybe I will at some point in the future....
It appears they work w/ SRAM derailleurs. Below info is from the Prime 9™ Drivetrain Compatibility Manual

Box Three Prime 9 11-46T / 11-50T Cassette​

"This is the most common style of derailleur hanger used in the industry.
Prime 9 Derailleurs are NOT compatible with
Shimano Direct Mount Derailleur Hangers

To Identify your derailleur hanger type: (see image below)
  • If you currently have a Sram Derailleur; you are compatible.
    • Sram does not make direct mount derailleurs at this time.
  • If you currently have a Shimano Derailleur with a B-Link; (SEE IMAGE)
    • You have a Traditional hanger and are compatible.
    • You will need to remove the b-link prior to installing the derailleur directly to the hanger
    • If you currently have a Shimano Derailleur without a B-link;
  • You have a direct mount derailleur hanger and are not compatible."
Link: Prime 9 Manual
....................................................................................................................................................................................
I'm still asea. We certainly require a users manual and full disclosure of what parts are on this machine, stock - they call it "scantlings" in Nautical creations. This cagey stuff, and mixing parts that won't work correctly and are obviously not tested won't get it.
I'm not a crash dummy. I'm not taking everything apart to find out what kind of freewheeler is at the bottom of the mess, so I can install parts that should have come installed by the maker.
@Deacon Blues if your display looks like this it's the 750C here's a thread including link to manual for it
View attachment 107434
The K-VII is 428% range, I don't recall where I saw the specific ratios but its top end is higher than the XIV's - I am speed
I have no idea how the Onesie shifter would add $600 to the cost of the hub when the Kindernay store shows the €1000 price of the hub with either shifter option.
The 160Nm warning & warranty coverage is a big part of what influenced me to just want 1000W out of the X1

The SA3 is 177%, SA4 210%, SA5 243% and as far as I can tell none of them come in a thru-axle standard unfortunately. I do know of someone who slapped an RX-RK5 on their bike with a BBSHD and it wasn't giving them much grief but I have no idea what wattage they run. The X-RK4 gives the highest top gear ratio

TDA's right about the 35E's - they are a good high capacity cell but they don't really like being run at the top end of their ratings for maxing the cycle life. The 500 minimum standard cycle life is given using 1020mA charging & 3400mA discharge (850~900W on a 52V) - but weirdly the cycle life rating they give is to 60% instead of 80%... anywho watching the max charge and discharge voltage is going to help to lengthen that cycle life way more

I'm trying to catch a sunrise on a mountain so off to sleep I go
There are people running 5000w on SA3's. They were offered by WW on various builds. The '3' is the one. The rest are not superior to any other IGH. The strength lies in the middle gears massive pawls and structure. They too will skip I read, but I'd think the Gates would start tearing chunks off first - as has been reported by actual users.
K'nay's store says :"You'll find this tech in", then shows the ($2000,00) K7 and K14, but when you look at the K7, even put it in your cart, nowhere does it say a twosie is included in the price.
I can't call it, but I have seen just the shifter for 680.00 euros with the K14 next to it, for sale for another 1990.00 euros - in the cart. That could have been in pounds sterling, not euros too. It was a Brit site and I'd already stopped paying attention.
I have all the specs in a file - which the cheesy company won't tell you.
-
Didn't know they dumped the fatties. I can tell you one reason why though. The Huge mass of wheel has to be moved.
Best analogy I can put forth is like installing a toyota celica tranny in a dump-truck. Now spot the weak link in that mental picture.
If your bike was sold capable of generating more that 160Nm, the K'nay warranty is void - as I remember - after 30days.
If they say 'you broke it, you own it', you'll never ever be able to get compensation. The venue is in Norway - LOL
They can tell from apparent damage if it exceeded 160Nm. But of course! It can't take any more without breaking, so it's obvious you screwed up. They've seen a hundred stripped.
Three years since I started riding, I'm a tyro with bikes, but I built rally cars. 2liter Cars that (stock) 110hp @ 6000, became 290hp @ 7600rpm.
The biggest weakness was the CVC's and Differentials vs the torque moving my fat Michlen XWX tires.
I went less grippy, lightweight Yokohamas, no problems.
I won't detail the entire scenario and exactly why, mechanically. Suffice, the CVC was slipping in turns (as it should) and when I accelerated out in 2nd gear it stripped out the differential. Same when I downshifted into a turn a went WOT - crunch.
Understand, I'm driving on the edge of control and sideways. 290hp not much nowadays, but the weight total is 1900lbs, 6.5 lbs per hp, roughly = a Hellcat w/ 707hp, but this is a vehicle built to drive like a madman through any weather, suffer going airborne on unimproved surfaces. They corner & stop with such ungodly G's - while not losing control - it makes you see spots and snot come out of your nose. My co-pilot and I have had to overturn the machine out of a snowbank I rolled over in and ended up upside down. Great full diving a machine to 4th place (in a field of 37) when the whole car's unibody frame is off kilter. Race officials inspected and I ended up with a ticket. lol. Unsafe vehicle use.
An amazing testimony to the German bearings and components, while not meshing correctly surviving 300miles of brutal abuse. I had one headlight and lost half the passenger side (Hey, guess why I'm Fast and Furious? You'll still be wrong)
Anyhow, not to overly digress, the solution was dump the 4cyl diffs/ axles/ cvc's and use a 6cyl's. I couldn't compromise the tires. They were the plan.
----------------------------------------------------------------
My point is, when you are using what might be normal power (160Nm max) to drive that heavier mass of fatties, the issues K'nay was having with 160Nm bikes is magnified. M x V4 = TI (Terminal Impact Torque), so TI (equating torque with impact) = The Torque, times the 'Mass squared'. So using larger 'mass' wheels = exponentially larger torque effects.
K'nay, okay w/ 160Nm for 3" tires, is no help when you squared the mass and find 200Nm w/ 4" Mulfuts.
So yeah. In a country covered in snow, 9 months of the year where fat bikes make total sense, they said no more Fat bikes?
Fits right in with my experience.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Downgrading the total plan really makes sense if you don't think about it.
Thinking: Okay, I'll compromise the TI Ultra plan. The 'plan' is now the K'nay and I'll play by their rules.
I'll sacrifice the overpowered Ti/ Ultra Motor combo, fat tire options, shifters, reasonable service and not having to drive like a girl because it's all that'll work without ending up staring at a crunched mess, looking back and saying "I wonder if it was me?""
That's a $2600.00 question, the sword of Damocles hanging over thy head - that I'll think of every last time ride.
Ewwww. Don't forget to pray to the kindernay god and obey the 'kindersaic laws'. Really?
I hate being conditioned to change my behavior, intent, my plan and I don't want K'nay in my head, or dominating my agenda with a limiting factor, unsuitable for my entire plan.
An IGH won't work for the 2300watt 'plan'. On occasion, I most certainly intend to use that power and this begs another question I've raised:
Why bother with this machine? It's Stallion, not a lame Gelding.
I'm not downgrading my machine for Norway. We should sell them Hellcats over there with Toyota 5sp's - 'whatever you do, this car is rated for 99horsepower. DO NOT PRESS the accelerator. See. You just did and in 30 days your warranty's dust - but DO NOT DRIVE further before sending to Moscow for evaluation (fine print says 48monthe waiting list).
Gates belt is same story. Developed for bicycles, upgraded for use (with ZERO changes) to pedalec e-bike - for EU = 250watts.
That's 'Human Power Torque'. Not an upgrade for REAL E-bikes, you readily find gates on underpowered e-bikes (Ride one Up has one on an $1100 bike).
I really wanted to be impressed. The whole concept is sooooo hip.
The comparison to Gates Belts running blowers, producing 4000hp overpowered the fact that these cheesy belts can't take much - what they call - 'punishment' - that I call regular use on an Ultra. Budadudadudadud as the skip along, jumping teeth at 160Nm.
Looked good and tasted great tho.
No disrespect implied fellahs, but apparently Ultra owners, us awaiting delivery and fans need a separate topic: "How to downgraded my WW to work with (name inferior a limiting product of choice)". That way, I'd all know the latest in what doesn't work.
For me, when the price is an insult and the advertising is fulla-bull, I'ma grab my wallet to hide it, not spend my bread.
You can still buy the same frame WW uses and a stock Ultra for around $1800.00 and install what you like.
And as a word to those who actually figure the value of 'things' where I live vs the value in Norway, I suggest they read this https://www.lifeinnorway.net/scandinavian-socialism/ before the start financing. Then they might get the gist of why they're paying triple value for a Norwegian made IGH.

Fn'Fn' again

I stated in my last post that I wouldn't order this bike again, but having said that I have to say that I like riding this bike. It's comfortable and powerful, but for me the drive train problem cancels much of the good this bike offers.
It's like buying a new car that has transmission problems from day one. No matter how much you like look of the car, the interior, or the motor, the transmission issues leaves you disappointed and unhappy with your purchase.
Same here Brother! The motor is great but the drivetrain issue is unbearable for me. I’ve got the Garbaruk cage and pulley system in but think it is less likely to solve anything than the M8100 inbound. Good thing I’m excited about the emtb thing in general, because otherwise I wouldn’t be so ‘ok’ with having to spend so much time and money to get my bike to shift as it should.

A Rohloff will cost you $1500 to $1800, the Kindernay is $1200 (1000 euros) and these are the only two that can remotely take high power motors, so I am not sure what the fuss is on Kindernay Price.
You may think it is overpriced, and maybe it is, but a price has to include R&D, overheads and maintenance risks, and if you are not selling mass quantities, which I am sure is the case for Kindernay, the risk associated with the above can become significant.
So, I would not presume to be able to actually calculate if they are overpriced or by how much.
And of course, there is the fact that there is no competition, so why wouldn't they take advantage of it :)

As for the resistance, unless they can dedicate the time to do long term testing with high power ebikes which are very rare, I can see why they are airing on the side of caution. Especially in this internet age where any jerk that will hammer and brake it will go out of its way to trash them online ...

Originally when Gates had no experience with high power suspension bikes, they did not even support tensioners. As that became more prevalent and they had the data, they opened it up.

I would not be surprised if used properly the Kindernay hub could actually take the full 2300W power. The one thing I would be cautious to avoid, would be forcing gear changes under heavy load, and that seems like common sense to me. After all, any high-power gearbox needs a clutch, we should be glad these don't :)

After I calmed down a bit I deleted my scathing comments about my WW bike.
I really like riding this bike. Even though it stands really tall (for my 5" 8" height) the riding position is spot on. It's a medium, but it's also a bit of a nut cracker....if you know what I mean.
I'm REALLY hoping the fat spider will solve my skipping problem.
As I mentioned in a previous post I went for a 45km (senior's group ride.....I'm old!) and I kept the shifter in the 3rd cog or larger, and no skipping. Mind you, I didn't stomp on the pedals.
The bad news is riding in the 3rd cog reduces my cruising speed to around 19mph. Anything faster and I'm pedalling way too fast. I like my cadence to be in the 80 to 90 range at 24/25mph.
I really need to be able to use the 1st and 2nd cog to enable me to cruise at higher speeds. I'm hoping the Fat spider will solve my problem, but I won't know until I get the spider Pushkar is sending me, install it, and go for a ride.
I'd also like to be able to run a larger front chain ring, but I have no idea how this might affect the chain wrap on the cassette.
My UC Pro is the exact opposite of the Hydra, in that almost all of my riding is done at higher speeds......hence the name 'commuter Pro'.
This beast will never see the trails.....it's way too heavy.

Unless you are actually doing a lot of riding using the largest rear cogs, I would definitely increase the size of the front chainring.
I see no reason why a larger front sprocket would affect the wrap on the rear cogs. The wrap should be negligibly different

Last edited:
After I calmed down a bit I deleted my scathing comments about my WW bike.
I really like riding this bike. Even though it stands really tall (for my 5" 8" height) the riding position is spot on. It's a medium, but it's also a bit of a nut cracker....if you know what I mean.
I'm REALLY hoping the fat spider will solve my skipping problem.
As I mentioned in a previous post I went for a 45km (senior's group ride.....I'm old!) and I kept the shifter in the 3rd cog or larger, and no skipping. Mind you, I didn't stomp on the pedals.
The bad news is riding in the 3rd cog reduces my cruising speed to around 19mph. Anything faster and I'm pedalling way too fast. I like my cadence to be in the 80 to 90 range at 24/25mph.
I really need to be able to use the 1st and 2nd cog to enable me to cruise at higher speeds. I'm hoping the Fat spider will solve my problem, but I won't know until I get the spider Pushkar is sending me, install it, and go for a ride.
I'd also like to be able to run a larger front chain ring, but I have no idea how this might affect the chain wrap on the cassette.
My UC Pro is the exact opposite of the Hydra, in that almost all of my riding is done at higher speeds......hence the name 'commuter Pro'.
This beast will never see the trails.....it's way too heavy.
18 - 20mph is a speed we all need with out skipping and jerking - I’ll do plenty of riding on street and path as well as trail, and agree on the challenge of pedaling on the 15 cog - it’s not enough.
I’m sure we will find a solution, in time - spiders, derailleurs, maybe sacrifice a goat…

Sorry for your woes. Please keep me apprised of the outcome. Once I have my delivery, I'll be happy to invest in that R&D with you.
I expected the drivetrain would be problematic for me. My anticipated allocation for up-keep and upgrading is $300 a month.
No fear of wrenches here and I've stockpiled the proper tools.
I'm also planning a custom harness. WW won't. They import stuff from multiple countries and put a product together, not solder fine wires.
I've created race-car harnesses, installed custom (to drool over) wiring in yachts, even used Aircraft circuit breakers on my hot-rods.
Time consuming and exacting, I found it no more difficult than cable management in the many PC's I created, from the custom cases up.
So, I'll see what happens. If I don't like it, I'll do it again and keep doing it until I'm satisfied with the results.

Back