My New EVO City

K. Jones

I just got my new EVO City last Saturday. I've since put on some folding pannier baskets and a front basket and rode it around enough to get down to around 23% charge. So, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents now.

I don't like the seat post clamp at all. I've tightened it down REALLY good (had the hubby really crank it) and it still slips back (tilting in the process) when I go over big bumps. So, I'll definitely have to replace that with something else.

The shifting is a little rough. I was really having trouble shifting gears when I first got it, but it's getting smoother. I think it's just stiff from being new. So, that's probably fine.

On another note, if the chain ever comes off (which it did once to me) you can just throttle over to a place where it's safe to pull off instead of being stuck dead in the middle of the road. So, that's nice. :)

The kick stand looks nice, but is kinda small. It's easy to unbalance it by just turning the wheel or bumping it a little. I had it fall off it's stand today. (Chipped some paint on the brake lever, but otherwise no harm done.) Level surface, nothing in the baskets. The wheel just flopped a bit and it unbalanced it. So, I'm going to have the bike shop put a double kick stand on it when I have the seat post clamp switched out.

The only thing that's really bothering me is the torque sensor. It seems to require a lot of torque from me before the motor turns on. And then it's kind of hard to get it to stay on steady, because I have to keep up that level of effort. So, it keeps coming on and going off when It should be steady. I do hope that this is just something where the torque sensor needs to be adjusted (can it be adjusted?) because it sort of defeats the purpose of having a motor assist if you have to be really cranking it to get it to engage. I wonder if that's something I can adjust or if I have to take it to a bike shop or the ebike shop? Does anyone know?

Overall, I'm quite happy with it. Only the torque sensor thing has me worried.

Welcome to the EVO club! I just got my EVO Street a couple weeks ago.

Haven't had the issue with the seat post clamp coming loose, but I can see where that could happen. A new clamp should be an easy and inexpensive change. Ditto on the change out of the kickstand to a more robust double one. That's a good idea to upgrade it.

As for the torque sensor, I haven't noticed on my bike the issue with the torque sensor exactly as you describe. Mine does come on and off as I pedal, but it seems to match the level of effort I'm putting in, but you're right that it's not a steady always on or always off type of motor. That said, my motor does start up when I start pedaling, and I always start off in Eco-only mode because the bike will really take off otherwise.

I'm sure there must be a way for the sensor to be tuned a bit in case it is off-kilter. Do you have an Easy Motion dealer near you? I don't, but I have found a good local bike shop where the owner & his wife are really excited about eBikes and they work on all kinds of bikes all the way up to motorscooters.

Well, I sent a question about it to eMotion to see what they suggest. I'll post their response when I get it.

Mine doesn't always come on when I first start pedaling.

I do have a dealer in my metro area, but it's still 45 miles away from me. (Frisbie Electric Bike Center in Blue Springs, MO) I'm not sure how they are with repairs or if they're more of an assemble and sell it place. I'd rather use a local bike shop, if I can, just because of the distance. But I CAN take it back to Frisbie's if I have to.

Last edited:
@K. Jones ,
Torque sensor is designed to match your input power and not overpower your pedaling efforts.
Cadence sensors with 9 or 12 pole magnets provide a steady power output as long as you maintain a certain cadence.

The EVO line has much more refined controller programming compared to the NEO line to preserve some range. Sometimes, if you have your foot on the pedal before the system boots up, you might feel more resistance or error FOOT/13.

It's a very nice bike and hope you enjoy it.

After riding it awhile longer, I think it's not a problem with my torque sensor. It's a problem with my expectations and riding style. You use the gears a little different with an electric bike, I think, than a regular bike. And that's what was causing the issue. When I was moving pretty fast on a high gear, I was annoyed that I had to pedal pretty hard to get the motor to kick on and match my pedaling. But if I downshift, the motor will come on with less pedaling effort. So, it's a matter of just getting used to how it works.

So, upon further reflection, I don't think there's anything wrong with my torque sensor.

After riding it awhile longer, I think it's not a problem with my torque sensor. It's a problem with my expectations and riding style. You use the gears a little different with an electric bike, I think, than a regular bike. And that's what was causing the issue. When I was moving pretty fast on a high gear, I was annoyed that I had to pedal pretty hard to get the motor to kick on and match my pedaling. But if I downshift, the motor will come on with less pedaling effort. So, it's a matter of just getting used to how it works.

So, upon further reflection, I don't think there's anything wrong with my torque sensor.
I have had my Evo Street for a week and a half now (8 trips and 58 total miles). I started out using mostly the Eco mode, but have shifted to using the throttle only mode most of the time now. I like how I can use the throttle to get as little or as much electric motor boost as I want at any given moment. I still am using the boost as desired (mostly when going uphill or into a wind), but do unassisted pedaling most of the time. I also like how using the throttle makes it easier to get started from a dead stop (helps getting across a street after a light has changed to green) or to maintain better control when making a low speed sharp turn. Also, like several others, I'm having to get my bottom used to sitting on a bike seat again. I think it's getting somewhat better, but because I ride on sidewalks as opposed to on the street with the traffic most of the time, the small jolts from the changes in the surface makes having my full weight on the seat more uncomfortable. I am considering changing to a suspension post to reduce this issue. Overall, I'm really enjoying my new Street and look forward to getting more exercise that I so badly need.

I hear you on the sidewalk jolts. Riding on the streets in my area are very dicey. Very few streets have dedicated bike lanes. Most will stencil a bike icon along the right, but cars don't pay any attention to that and cars whizz by very close to the left when riding. Several streets are 1 road in each direction with no place to ride off to the right. It's the opposite of an enjoyable ride. I usually end up going onto a sidewalk if possible, but that has its own undesirable effects. There's one small set of streets near a golf course not far from me and they have dedicated bike lanes. What a difference!

I have had my Evo Street for a week and a half now (8 trips and 58 total miles). I started out using mostly the Eco mode, but have shifted to using the throttle only mode most of the time now. I like how I can use the throttle to get as little or as much electric motor boost as I want at any given moment. I still am using the boost as desired (mostly when going uphill or into a wind), but do unassisted pedaling most of the time. I also like how using the throttle makes it easier to get started from a dead stop (helps getting across a street after a light has changed to green) or to maintain better control when making a low speed sharp turn. Also, like several others, I'm having to get my bottom used to sitting on a bike seat again. I think it's getting somewhat better, but because I ride on sidewalks as opposed to on the street with the traffic most of the time, the small jolts from the changes in the surface makes having my full weight on the seat more uncomfortable. I am considering changing to a suspension post to reduce this issue. Overall, I'm really enjoying my new Street and look forward to getting more exercise that I so badly need.

That seat on the EVO City is really hard. The solution is to swap out the seat. I don't like seat posts with a shock, personally. But a nice cushy seat with springs is nice. I swapped the EVO's seat with the one from my old Schwinn. It's wider and has springs. That completely solved the problem.

I also switched out the seat post for a better one because the one it came with kept sliding back when I hit a bump, no matter how tight I fasten it.

I ride on the sidewalks a lot too. :)

tumblr_nm9g376Az81u3x4duo1_1280.jpg

After this picture was taken, I also added a water bottle cage and swapped out the seat and post. It's almost perfect now. I just need to install a double kickstand and that'll be it!

BTW: It's really hard to get to that bolt for the kickstand. It might require taking bits off just to get to it.

They recommend getting the bike adjusted after the first 100 miles have broken it in a bit. So, since it'll be in the shop then anyway, I'll have the bike shop figure out how to get the darn thing off and install the double one for me. Definitely something that's enough trouble to be worth paying someone to do it, I think.

Last edited:
Looks great! Really stealthy too. I like where you installed your Krypto lock. I need to see if that same spot will work on mine.

Where did you get those fold up baskets on the back rack?

The rear bike baskets are Wald folding panniers and will hold a regular sized paper grocery sack each. The mounting hardware didn't quite fit, but I went to the hardware store and got conduit clamps, which worked. Plus, they have rubber backing, so won't scrape the paint. (That flat black paint scrapes easily.)

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/8471616351521182563

I ordered them online somewhere, but later I found the same ones at a Bike America shop. So, they're not hard to find.

There are at least two other brands that make that style and size of folding basket. I'm not sure they're all as sturdy as mine, but they look about the same.

composit2.jpg

The front basket is an AMAZING design. Very secure, but it comes off so easy. No tools required to mount it. It's a Sunlite lift-off front basket. I swear, when the kids want front baskets, these are the ones I'm getting them. It'll also hold a paper grocery sack, but only if it can squish a bit at the bottom, since it tapers.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/9956025498821782043

I bought the front basket at a Bike America store.

The bike lock fits so you can just barely get the battery off with the lock on and the lock off without bashing the bottom of the topbar. But it's pretty heavy and I think the mounting hardware will slip down eventually, preventing the battery from being able to come off without removing the lock first. But, the lock comes off and most of the time I'd charge it on the bike, so that's not a big deal. There were more options for how to mount it, but that seemed like the best for me given my panniers and such.

I think this is my lock: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1909531161545178680

Thank you K. Jones for all the details!

I purchased a Novara Trunk bag, which has fold down panniers. Got it at REI on sale. Working out well so far. I put my Krypto U-lock in one of the pannier sides to carry it around.

I rode around my neighborhood and a bit beyond today, 9.6 miles worth. That brings my total mileage to 63. On this battery charge I now have 26 mi and 2 bars left (probably more like 1.5 bars left).

On the handbars as close to the middle as I could get it and still be able to operate the thing to adjust the handlebar. I'll post an updated picture once I get the double-kickstand on. Maybe this weekend.

I have noticed there is a minor problem with whatever it is that senses your pedaling in order to turn on the motor. On the third level of pedal assist, I can get the motor to just stay on, without moving the pedals at all. Just coasting with the motor on. It's not a big deal. If I want it to turn off, I just squeeze the brakes a bit. But I'm pretty sure it's not actually supposed to do that.

Nice bike! I agree, really stealthy! Question: Where/how did you mount the water bottle holder?

I found clamp on water bottle holders on ebay and they work great and very versatile as the clamp can be vertical or horizontal. Mine is mounted under the top tube and the top of the bottle just rests on the battery, and on my wife's step through I have it mounted on the down tube under the handle bars. I can't find a way to copy the link but they can be found at eBay under adjustable aluminum alloy water bottle holder cage + handlebar clamp mount. They come in a variety of colors which is nice and at $4.50 plus $2.00 shipping are a bargain. They do look very nice and are solidly built and mount very solidly as well

Last edited:
My water bottle clamp looks like that (K Jones's version). I mounted it so that the bottle clamp is on the outside front of the handlebars. There's not much real estate on my handlebars and I already have a cell phone mount on there too.

I got this from China today (off eBay) ...will update how it works out.

Attachments

• IMG_20150504_165312~2.jpg
    IMG_20150504_165312~2.jpg
    792.2 KB · Views: 339
Back