My Espin Sport

The R1U 700 is nice, but for $300 less, I think the Espin Sport is a better deal and those bikes looks similar and almost equally equipped (other than the bigger tires).
In addition to the 700's wider tires, some other differences are the higher top gear ratio, number of available assist levels, customization of power levels, along with the looks of the 700 make it worth the $300 upgrade from the Sport to me, not that I will necessarily get either one of them.

I just don't know that there is much difference/variance between 9 levels of PAS because would you be looking at 2mph/4mph/6mph/8mph/12mph/16mph/20mph/24mph/28mph or 9 percentage steps or however you would set it up and what would be the usage for certain levels?
That's not how the the assist levels work on the Ride1Up bikes in current generations. The assist is based on power instead of speed. Kevin of Ride1Up talked about that change in an interview earlier this year.

Also, you don't have to use 9 assist levels - that's another option to set the range. And then you can adjust each one's power percentage. Great stuff. The problem with some bikes, like the Aventon Level, and I'll even put previous generations of Core-5 in that group, is that they have too much assist on level 1. That's not good for me - I want minimal assist in level 1 as to use more muscle power while still riding at a moderate speed. If you just want to ghost pedal around and aren't interested in exercise, then those other bikes might be just fine.

I saw a discussion with Kevin from Ride1up saying the throttle and PAS will not work at the same time on the 500. However, since people complained he changed that and offered owners a software update. Ride1up is very responsive to buyers.
Actually, that was the 700's, and it was when using the throttle while pedaling, the throttle didn't add additional assist, and it was only the 700's that went out in a recent shipment. Supposedly, it was a design concept change, and they are taking care of it for future shipments. Also true about the software update. I had only seen one 500 owner state they had that issue.

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/my-ride1up-700s-are-being-shipped.35874/post-312626

Until I get the Sport, I won't know what type of assist is Level 1... hoping it's minimal but I plan to spend most of my time in PAS 0... and only use PAS for hills... thus 9 PAS levels might be more than I need.

Until I get the Sport, I won't know what type of assist is Level 1... hoping it's minimal but I plan to spend most of my time in PAS 0... and only use PAS for hills... thus 9 PAS levels might be more than I need.
I think the sport only has 5 or 6 levels. And if you had gotten a Ride1Up, you can reduce to use fewer levels also. My concern is like those people who ordered an older Core-5, and the thing is going 18 mph in assist level one with light pedaling, maybe 15 or so if you weigh closer to 250 pounds. That's no good for me. Too risky. The word is still out whether the KD218 will alow those adjustments on the LMT'D as they do with the 700.

exactly, you could make level 1 a bit less powerful. I think the adjustments are in maximum percentage power at a given level. Plus as for your "level 5 only for hills" you could keep it in a lower level of assist and just use the throttle for a hill. I'm curious about how often people shift. I mean when pedaling a normal bike you can feel when you want/need to shift but I imagine with a good bit of assist it might be different
I was surprised to find shifting important when riding in PAS. At least for me, if I do not shift up as bike accellerates it feels weird just spinning with little resistance. Then I shifted up until it was comfortable. To me the shifting and the PAS work together.

Last edited:
I think the sport only has 5 or 6 levels. And if you had gotten a Ride1Up, you can reduce to use fewer levels also. My concern is like those people who ordered an older Core-5, and the thing is going 18 mph in assist level one with light pedaling, maybe 15 or so if you weigh closer to 250 pounds. That's no good for me. Too risky. The word is still out whether the KD218 will alow those adjustments on the LMT'D as they do with the 700.
I have an Espin Sport and I have ridden it in level 1 and it does not seem too fast on level or rolling terrain. It has 5 levels. I would say I like it in level 1 to offset the weight of the bike. The brakes are great if you think you are too fast or just pause peddling and the motor will stop assisting. My son does often ride in 0 PAS.

That's not how the the assist levels work on the Ride1Up bikes in current generations. The assist is based on power instead of speed. Kevin of Ride1Up talked about that change in an interview earlier this year.

Also, you don't have to use 9 assist levels - that's another option to set the range. And then you can adjust each one's power percentage. Great stuff. The problem with some bikes, like the Aventon Level, and I'll even put previous generations of Core-5 in that group, is that they have too much assist on level 1. That's not good for me - I want minimal assist in level 1 as to use more muscle power while still riding at a moderate speed. If you just want to ghost pedal around and aren't interested in exercise, then those other bikes might be just fine.
That's exactly my point. there are going to be plenty of times where I want to get more exercise but I might want some assist to lengthen the ride. So maybe I'll want minimal assist in one, a little more in level two etc.... If I got a bike and the levels were not adjustable and the assistance in level 1 was higher than I liked and I had to choose between no assistance or more than I wanted that would be irritating

Last edited:

I thought that too and mainly stayed in PA 1-3 and did not unrestrict the speed governor. Now I find myself in level 5 unrestricted, hitting 28 once in awhile but a fair amount of time 20+. When I cruise thru town, I power down to level 3 and keep in at 14-16 and enjoy the scenery...

I would not consider wider tires an upgrade. They are heavier and resist air more. If I upgrade, it will be for puncture protection and retroflective sidewalls. If I rode over soft ground a lot, I might want wider tires.

Reactions: BET
I would not consider wider tires an upgrade. They are heavier and resist air more. If I upgrade, it will be for puncture protection and retroflective sidewalls. If I rode over soft ground a lot, I might want wider tires.

Ok, I was watching the Electric Bike review from earlier this Spring and the guy from the bike shop in Scottsdale mentioned he was modifying the Sports and Flows with wider tires. I was just curious if anyone had tried it. I plan on Sliming mine...

Yeah... I prefer the thinner tires over the R1U bikes that other posters say is a plus.

The Sport will be my pavement bike so the thinner tires will be faster and easier to pedal on PAS 0.

I definitely prefer the wider tires, but I don't want to go as far as fat tires. Not all Ride1Up bikes have the 2.4" tires, though. The 500 and Core-5, for example, have only 2.2" wide tires. But the 700 and LMT'D have 2.4" tires. And supposedly, the 700 will support 2.8" wide tires, not sure on the LMT'D as rim and clearances both play a role. That would be nice for those hard rough rural roads I often ride on, sometimes very rough to ride on with my current 35c tires. The increased rolling resistance is a trade-off I'm willing to make with an e-bike. But, regardless, I would at least wait until the original tires were needing replaced before buying something different.

Does anyone know off hand how wide of a tire the stock ESPIN Sport rims will support? I think the stock tires are 1.95 wide...

Yeah... I prefer the thinner tires over the R1U bikes that other posters say is a plus.

The Sport will be my pavement bike so the thinner tires will be faster and easier to pedal on PAS 0.
That's why you have PAS, if a wider tire makes it a lot little more difficult to pedal put it on PAS1 , if level 1 is too much boost adjust it....

Plus a thinner tire is a faster ride.

My non ebike has a mustache handlebar, does that count?

That was what I liked about my test ride with an Aventon Pace 500 is that I didn’t need PAS on the flats. I’m hoping the same with the Sport.

Back