My Espin Sport

@BET From the pictures, it looks like the Sport's handlebar stem is adjustable to change the height/reach... is that true? Also about the sealed cadence sensor, if you look at the spaces on the crank wheel, when you turn it, do you see the 12 magnets on the disc behind it?
Yes the stem is adjustable. They say the cadence sensor is sealed.

@BET From the pictures, it looks like the Sport's handlebar stem is adjustable to change the height/reach... is that true? Also about the sealed cadence sensor, if you look at the spaces on the crank wheel, when you turn it, do you see the 12 magnets on the disc behind it?
The handlebar stem has a knuckle that allows more or less rise.

Besides the screws and rivets holding things together, I see nothing on the crank wheel or on the guards on either side of it.

So new Sport owners, do you recommend a suspension seat post? I know it has helped with my Lectric...

This is from the EBR video, I believe those small circles are the magnets. If you can see them, unsealed, if not, I guess it's sealed:

1597100546885.png

I chatted in with eSpin earlier today as I had some questions for them before I choose their bike or Ride 1Up bike. One of the questions I asked was about the adjustable stem and I was told that both the Sport and Flow has adjustable stems, if that helps. Sorry to chime in, btw. Just scoping out threads that may continue to help me in making my decision.

So new Sport owners, do you recommend a suspension seat post? I know it has helped with my Lectric...
I bought a suspension seat post and a seat ( saddle) before I recieved my Espin Sport. I have not installed it because so far it seems comfortable the way it is. It has a suspension fork. Maybe after I take it on longer rides I'll change my mind. I think I will change the pedals to another set of mountain biking pedals as they may have more grip. The stock Sport pedals are solid but seem too slippery to me. I also bought some mountain biking shoes.

This is from the EBR video, I believe those small circles are the magnets. If you can see them, unsealed, if not, I guess it's sealed:

View attachment 61964
I looked tonight. You cannot see any magnets. You just see the black hub motor. Sorry the photo is dark

Attachments

• 20200810_230344.jpg
    20200810_230344.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
After test riding a Pace 500, I think 5 levels of PAS are more than enough... not sure I what I would do with 9.

I know GenX favors the R1U 500 but for the price and features, I still think the Espin Sport has the edge... and for me, if the Sport frame seems bigger than the R1U 500 (at least to BET), that's a plus for me.

I find it odd that these D2C bike vendors won't allow you to transfer the warranty... makes it hard to sell a bike if you end up wanting to get something else.

After test riding a Pace 500, I think 5 levels of PAS are more than enough... not sure I what I would do with 9.

I know GenX favors the R1U 500 but for the price and features, I still think the Espin Sport has the edge... and for me, if the Sport frame seems bigger than the R1U 500 (at least to BET), that's a plus for me.

I find it odd that these D2C bike vendors won't allow you to transfer the warranty... makes it hard to sell a bike if you end up wanting to get something else.
I have both bikes. I like the Sport because of the hydraulic brakes and comes with fenders and rear rack. Bikes are similar. I did not like that Sport had no way to attach a water bottle. They did recommend something I could attach to handlebar. Sport has concealed battery. The 500 developed a problem with the chain coming off. We attached a chain guide that I hope will fix this issue. The Sport has a chain guard on both sides of chain ring - the 500 it was only on the outside.

The complaint about the Pace is the acceleration to 12 mph in the lowest assist when moving the pedals. That's an overly powerful assist. With the Ride1up 500, 700, and upcoming Core-5 shipments, this can be adjusted. So, whether you have 5 or 9 assist levels, that's an advantage, over the Aventon and Espin bikes, both. With the Ride1Up, it's optional if you want to use all 9 assist levels. You can configure modes for fewer assist levels and still adjust the power settings for those levels.

The 500 is a really nice bike, but I actually prefer the 700 over the 500 for the extra dough. The 700 has nicer wider 2.4" tires and will supposedly support 2.8", has a concealed battery, includes rack/fenders (in base price), has a higher capacity battery (as sold with bike). The only downside is that it's heavier, but then it has the higher capacity battery, rack/fenders, and wider tires, so that would be expected.

We assembled the bike ourselves. Pretty easy. There is an assembly video. They send a small tool kit. Attach front wheel (quick release), handle bars, seat post (seat was already attached, pedals, front light, front fender. I also used a pedal wrench we own to make sure pedals are tight. Check brakes and shifting. Can do it in an hour. We had a mobile bike mechanic check it and another e bike we bought because that was required for the other bike's warranty.
My 700 series is supposed to ship this week and I look forward to assembling it but maybe I'm weird. The bike stand is supposed to be delivered today. Guess I'll have to get a mobile mechanic to give it the once over for the warranty though.

The complaint about the Pace is the acceleration to 12 mph in the lowest assist when moving the pedals. That's an overly powerful assist. With the Ride1up 500, 700, and upcoming Core-5 shipments, this can be adjusted. So, whether you have 5 or 9 assist levels, that's an advantage, over the Aventon and Espin bikes, both. With the Ride1Up, it's optional if you want to use all 9 assist levels. You can configure modes for fewer assist levels and still adjust the power settings for those levels.

The 500 is a really nice bike, but I actually prefer the 700 over the 500 for the extra dough. The 700 has nicer wider 2.4" tires and will supposedly support 2.8", has a concealed battery, includes rack/fenders (in base price), has a higher capacity battery (as sold with bike). The only downside is that it's heavier, but then it has the higher capacity battery, rack/fenders, and wider tires, so that would be expected.
The 700 also has hydraulic brakes if that's something you want.

The R1U 700 is nice, but for $300 less, I think the Espin Sport is a better deal and those bikes looks similar and almost equally equipped (other than the bigger tires).

The R1U 700 is nice, but for $300 less, I think the Espin Sport is a better deal and those bikes looks similar and almost equally equipped (other than the bigger tires).
Well chocolate and vanilla and all that. I think the frame of the sport looks more like the Core 5 than the 700 series

When I began riding the Espin Sport, my first e-bike, I thought level one assist was too strong. After a few weeks riding, I mostly use level two and have no desire for a lower level of assist.

I'd rather save $300 on vanilla. :)
well yeah all else being equal I'd rather save $300. I looked at so many different bikes I can't remember all the differences nor do I have the inclination to check right now but I believe for that $300 you get better tires, better shifter, derailleur, display. Also the ability to customize the PAS levels. That last part was important to me because although if I got the sport I might be totally happy with where the levels were at If I wasn't then it would annoy me. I also like the look of the frame better on the 700 and the fact that the battery comes out the bottom, makes the bottle holder mount more usable IMO. Also it has better wiring cable management from the looks of it

Hi...to the Espin Sport (or Flow) owners:

Do you guys love your Espins and would you recommend them? I've been so reluctant to pull the trigger on this bike. Seems like a pretty good deal at $1199. Help me jump off that fence. Thanks.

well yeah all else being equal I'd rather save $300. I looked at so many different bikes I can't remember all the differences nor do I have the inclination to check right now but I believe for that $300 you get better tires, better shifter, derailleur, display. Also the ability to customize the PAS levels. That last part was important to me because although if I got the sport I might be totally happy with where the levels were at If I wasn't then it would annoy me.
Yup, same here. The ability to customize the PAS levels is a big plus and something not a lot of bikes out there allow. I thank GenXrider for pointing that out to me when I, too, was stuck deciding between so many bikes, including the espin sport. It just seems R1U met a majority of my wants/needs, as well as offers decent components/specs all for under $2k. Now, if it would just hurry up and get here so I can actually experience the ride vs all the talk about it. Lol!

Back