My Espin Sport

BET

Rode my new Espin Sport today for the first time. Received in fine shape. Well packaged. Took less than an hour to be ready to ride. I had a bike pro go over it to make sure everything was adjusted correctly (Thank you Velofix). It is a beautiful bike. I have the colbalt blue. It was bigger - longer and heavier - than I expected. Just had to connect front tire, handlebars, front light, seat post (seat was attached) and front fenders. It is heavy. Even though it looked big, I had no problem standing over the bar or mounting the bike. I am 5'8". My son had to coax me to ride with him. I was a little nervous as I have not ridden my bike in at least 3-4 years. After a test ride around my back yard and a seat adjustment, my confidence returned. It is easier to ride than expected. Smooth. You have to be in at least pedal assist 1 for the throttle to work. I kept it in assist levels 1 and 2. I got used to the power assist/cadence sensor quickly. After a few minutes I realized that the assistance works best in conjunction with being in the right bike gear. At first I was just spinning my pedals too fast. After I started shifting it was much more natural.

I had no problem climbing the moderate hills in level 2. The throttle works well in conjunction with the assistance for a little extra boast, for taking off after being stopped at a light, for example. I did get a lot of exercise pedaling. The brakes are hydraulic disk. They work very well with no noise.

Negatives: All the negatives are minor and very fixable. I could not find a place to put a water bottle. All the tubes are too thick to attach my holder. Finally gave up and put in my pannier bag. The bag fit great on my rack. No rattling and very secure.

My feet seemed to slip off the pedals easily. I have never had this issue before. Maybe it was my shoes. I had regular running shoes on. It was annoying. I will either try toe clips or change the pedals or both.

I found the grips uncomfortable. After about a half hour I had soreness between thumb and first finger like I was extending fingers too far. The grips are standard rubber locking grips textured. They are similar to my son's bike and he had no complaints. I was wearing gloves. I will try adjusting my grip. If it continues I will look for different grips or some kind of padding. Anyone else have this issue ?

Overall I am happy. Seems like a great bike and well worth the price.

Thanks for the review.

As for the water bottle holder, will something like this work?

From the pics, it looks like the handlebars are adjustable, could you rotate them closer to you or higher?

Reactions: BET
I tried that water bottle attachment. Would not work. Tubes too wide. Tried in near my seat but it was in the way. Thanks for looking.

Ahh... they also have ones with straps that look like they can fit.

Questions:

1. How much did the Velofix service cost to check your assembly?
2. Can you tell if the cadence sensor is sealed?
3. Are you able to change from 5 PAS levels to 9?

Thanks!

Hi. 1. They charged $99 for an hour and I had them check over our two new e bikes, a Ride1up 500 and my Espin Sport. He would have installed my suspension seat post also but I could not find my shim. Seems typical. Plus they came the day after I made the appointment. There was another guy in DC who was cheaper but not sure we were in his area.
2.I do not know how to tell if the sensor is sealed. I think it is.
3. No you cannot change assist levels, only 1-5. That was ok for me. I do not think it goes too fast in level 1. I e mailed Espin and that is what they said:, it cannot be changed. There may be a work around. It does have parameter settings.

Sounds great. Cheap pedals i suspect. I've written on here how changing the pedals on my bike was probably my favorite accessory, suspension seat post is close or tied.

I used raceface chester pedals that for me are solid like i was using clipons. They may not work for you though as i wear boots with a thick sole. Also if the pedals do hit your caff it's not nice, which has happened to me while walking my bike on narrow hiking trails. Technically they are not street legal in many places because they don't have reflectors. Still for my current bikes i won't use anything else.

I would recommend you look around for better pedals, or just remove the slick coating on yours until you can find the right ones. You should not need clipons or straps.

Rode my new Espin Sport today for the first time. Received in fine shape. Well packaged. Took less than an hour to be ready to ride. I had a bike pro go over it to make sure everything was adjusted correctly (Thank you Velofix). It is a beautiful bike. I have the colbalt blue. It was bigger - longer and heavier - than I expected. Just had to connect front tire, handlebars, front light, seat post (seat was attached) and front fenders. It is heavy. Even though it looked big, I had no problem standing over the bar or mounting the bike. I am 5'8". My son had to coax me to ride with him. I was a little nervous as I have not ridden my bike in at least 3-4 years. After a test ride around my back yard and a seat adjustment, my confidence returned. It is easier to ride than expected. Smooth. You have to be in at least pedal assist 1 for the throttle to work. I kept it in assist levels 1 and 2. I got used to the power assist/cadence sensor quickly. After a few minutes I realized that the assistance works best in conjunction with being in the right bike gear. At first I was just spinning my pedals too fast. After I started shifting it was much more natural.

I had no problem climbing the moderate hills in level 2. The throttle works well in conjunction with the assistance for a little extra boast, for taking off after being stopped at a light, for example. I did get a lot of exercise pedaling. The brakes are hydraulic disk. They work very well with no noise.

Negatives: All the negatives are minor and very fixable. I could not find a place to put a water bottle. All the tubes are too thick to attach my holder. Finally gave up and put in my pannier bag. The bag fit great on my rack. No rattling and very secure.

My feet seemed to slip off the pedals easily. I have never had this issue before. Maybe it was my shoes. I had regular running shoes on. It was annoying. I will either try toe clips or change the pedals or both.

I found the grips uncomfortable. After about a half hour I had soreness between thumb and first finger like I was extending fingers too far. The grips are standard rubber locking grips textured. They are similar to my son's bike and he had no complaints. I was wearing gloves. I will try adjusting my grip. If it continues I will look for different grips or some kind of padding. Anyone else have this issue ?

Congrats, I'm currently considering either the Espin sport , the Ride1up Core5, 500 series or maybe making the jump to the 700 series

Last edited:
I just bit the bullet and bought the Flow for an August delivery. 1199 seems like a great price and now I can invite my sons to ride with me! Still need to find a dual suspension MTB for yours truly!

@BET How does the Sport compare to the 500?
Both are great bikes. The Ride1up 500 was a little more work putting together. The 500 is lighter which is an advantage. The Sport comes with rear rack and fenders. The 500 seems a little smaller even though they have the same size wheels. Frame on Sport seems bigger. Had to put seat almost all the way down on the 500 for my son. He is too short to use a suspension seat post. He is 5'6-5'7". Both seats are comfortable. Seats and pedals almost identical. My feet were slipping off the Sport pedals but my son did not have that issue with the 500. Perhaps it was my shoes. The 500 tires are slightly wider, about 1/2 inch. Both tires are grippy. The 500 throttle works from 0 assist. With the Espin Sport you have to be at least in Assist level 1. I have not found that to be an issue. Ride 1 up 500 comes preprogramed in 9 levels of assist but can be changed. The Sport has 5 levels and cannot be changed. The Sport assist levels seem good and 1 is not too fast, level 2 is also moderate and I used it on bike path. I think the brakes on the Sport are hydraulic and are better I think. They work great. The 500 disk brakes squeak some. Had the mechanic check them and make sure shifting was good. Both have Shimano shifting. Works ok. With the Sport I found shifting into the right gear was important to coordinate with the assist level. Not sure about top speeds. Perhaps 500 is faster. I did not try to go to max speed with Sport. Earlier review and specs says it goes up to 28 although you may have to change parameters in display. Directions with Sport tells you not to change parameters. Maybe e mail them and find out more. Easier to attach things like water bottle holder etc to 500 frame. Sport frame is too thick and I could find no good place to attach. Just put stuff in my bag on rack.

I didn't see it on the Espin site, but the EBR review shows the Espin has 12-32T cassette. It has 45T chainring. With a 12T for the smallest cog, that's one gear lower for its top gear than the R1U 700, and almost a full gear vs. the R1U 500. Let me know if that is still correct as it is shown in the EBR review, and sometimes those specs change.

Last edited:
I received my Espin Sport last week. Overall, I am quite pleased with the bike. There were a few things that needed straightening due to shipment travails, but nothing major. The bike looks good, is more than powerful enough, and seems well-made. The geometry is just right for me. Quibbles: the pedals are quite stiff, robbing some pedal power, and the bike could use either a larger crank gear or a smaller 8th gear. That's all I can think of. it's a great bike for the money.

Last edited:
Reactions: BET

If you are considering panniers for your cobalt Sport, these are great for the money: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B088GMTDK1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I received my Espin Sport last week. Overall, I am quite pleased with the bike. There were a few things that needed straightening due to shipment travails, but nothing major. The bike looks good, is more than powerful enough, and seems well-made. The geometry is just right for me. Quibbles: the pedals are quite stiff, robbing some pedal power, and the bike could use either a larger crank gear or a smaller 8th gear. That's all I can think of. it's a great bike for the money.
Thanks for the review. Did you find you feet slipping off the pedals ? I am thinking of adding toe clips or changing the pedals.

@BET Not sure if you did a comparison between the R1U 500 and your Espin Sport... but what are pros and cons between both?

Specifically, which one was easier to build? And which one has a more sitting up profile (I'm 6' tall)?

Also... if you had to choose one... which one would it be?

I rotated the handgrips about 20º and found them much more comfortable.

@BET Not sure if you did a comparison between the R1U 500 and your Espin Sport... but what are pros and cons between both?

Specifically, which one was easier to build? And which one has a more sitting up profile (I'm 6' tall)?

Also... if you had to choose one... which one would it be?
BET made some previous comparisons. The first one should look familiar.

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/my-espin-sport.35742/post-303654

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/aventon-level-vs-ride1up-700.31927/post-305897

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/espin-nero.35765/post-304513

Back