My Espin Sport

Thanks. Getting forgetful in my advanced age. Forgot they mentioned the build part already.

it was even right here in this thread. :(

I thought they weighed about the same but I guess the Sport is heavier.

The 500 vs the Sport is a good compare with similar price points and features.

After a few days with both... any preference for one or the other?

I think they might weigh similarly but perhaps my Sport is heavier due to the rear rack and fenders. Hard to pick one over the other. If you want to be able to program the levels of assist, speed at each level, top speed etc. I would say the Ride1up 500 is better. Also more easily takes a water bottle holder. You can also use the throttle while in 0 assist. Both are kind of big. Cheaper replacement battery on the R1up. My son is 5'6"-5'7" and he has to have his seat at lowest setting. I got the Sport because I thought it was a slightly better deal. For same price got hydraulic brakes, locking grips, rear rack and fenders. Plus I liked the blue colbalt color.

I think they might weigh similarly but perhaps my Sport is heavier due to the rear rack and fenders. Hard to pick one over the other. If you want to be able to program the levels of assist, speed at each level, top speed etc. I would say the Ride1up 500 is better. Also more easily takes a water bottle holder. You can also use the throttle while in 0 assist. Both are kind of big. Cheaper replacement battery on the R1up. My son is 5'6"-5'7" and he has to have his seat at lowest setting. I got the Sport because I thought it was a slightly better deal. For same price got hydraulic brakes, locking grips, rear rack and fenders. Plus I liked the blue colbalt color.
The Espin is 55# vs. 53# for the 500.

Reactions: BET
One other important thing from my view is the top gear ratio. The R1U already is about 1 gear lower in its top gear than my current standard bike's top gear. The Sport, based on the EBR review, is almost one additional gear lower in its top gear. This is due to having the smallest cog on the cassette being a 12T instead of an 11T as with the R1U 500. This spec isn't mentioned on the Espin website, so I'm assuming the EBR review is accurate as to what is currently shipping on the Espin Sport since I don't have one to count the teeth personally. The chainring is 1T larger on Sport, but that is minimal vs. the loss of 1T on the smallest rear cog. The lower top gear means you are hamster wheeling more at high speeds. If you always ride around slowly, that wouldn't be an issue. Tires are a little wider on the 500. Sport has 8 gears vs. 500 7 gears. For me, the R1U 500 is the easy choice between the two, although the R1U 700 or LMT'D are also worth considering for the extra dough. For a fat bike, the Espin Nero early bird offer is a good deal, being very similar to the step-through Radrover at a lower cost.

Last edited:
One other important thing from my view is the top gear ratio. The R1U already is about 1 gear lower in its top gear than my current standard bike's top gear. The Sport, based on the EBR review, is almost one additional gear lower in its top gear. This is due to having the smallest cog on the cassette being a 12T instead of an 11T as with the R1U 500. This spec isn't mentioned on the Espin website, so I'm assuming the EBR review is accurate as to what is currently shipping on the Espin Sport since I don't have one to count the teeth personally. The chainring is 1T larger on Sport, but that is minimal vs. the loss of 1T on the smallest rear cog. The lower top gear means you are hamster wheeling more at high speeds. If you always ride around slowly, that wouldn't be an issue. Tires are a little wider on the 500. Sport has 8 gears vs. 500 7 gears. For me, the R1U 500 is the easy choice between the two, although the R1U 700 or LMT'D are also worth considering for the extra dough. For a fat bike, the Espin Nero early bird offer is a good deal, being very similar to the step-through Radrover at a lower cost.
I agree that the Espin sport could use taller gearing. Eight-speed gear sets with an11-cog top gear cost about $30, so that would be a cheap change.

I just ordered the Sport. It’s my first ebike and I’ve never ridden one. If I’m riding on a flat paved street and want to get moderate exercise like I would on a conventional bike, what pedal assist level and gear would I use. Same question if I’m riding up a fairly steep hill. Thanks.

I just ordered the Sport. It’s my first ebike and I’ve never ridden one. If I’m riding on a flat paved street and want to get moderate exercise like I would on a conventional bike, what pedal assist level and gear would I use. Same question if I’m riding up a fairly steep hill. Thanks.

Great! Hope you enjoy your first e-bike.

Your questions are specific to you, so you'll just have to try it, you won't find it hard to find the right gear and assist level. For the first one on flat ground you could just turn off all assist and select the appropriate gear for your desired speed, effort, and cadence. If your desired speed exceeds your gearing or ability add assist until until you are happy.

I am a little apprehensive about riding downhill on steep hills. I don’t want to ride my brakes too much. Any advice on staying safe on steep downhill rides?

I'm also ride mostly for the exercise, as well as entertainment. I don't have the bike, but based on all the data I've seen so far, and knowing the gear ratio, my preferred cadence, and preferred speed, I would likely ride in one of the top three gears using one of the two lowest assist levels. And if I'm wrong, I would figure that out very quickly. YMMV.

For hills, the answer is more complicated because hills vary in steepness, and you have the assist power and weight to factor in, but I would simply shift down and pedal more intensely as I do now with the option to step up the assist to take some pressure off my knee without slowing down as much.

Last edited:
I use level one for relaxed riding, two on steep hills and when I want to get somewhere quickly, and three when I want an adrenalin rush. That's as high as I've gotten.

Reactions: BET
I am a little apprehensive about riding downhill on steep hills. I don’t want to ride my brakes too much. Any advice on staying safe on steep downhill rides?
Get used to it? The sport is quite stable. The spring fork helps on bumpy surfaces. I'd ride the brakes as much as needed.

I received my Espin Sport last week. Overall, I am quite pleased with the bike. There were a few things that needed straightening due to shipment travails, but nothing major. The bike looks good, is more than powerful enough, and seems well-made. The geometry is just right for me. Quibbles: the pedals are quite stiff, robbing some pedal power, and the bike could use either a larger crank gear or a smaller 8th gear. That's all I can think of. it's a great bike for the money.

Did you assemble your Sport yourself or hire a service,and if you did it yourself, degree of difficulty? I should be getting mine next month...

We assembled the bike ourselves. Pretty easy. There is an assembly video. They send a small tool kit. Attach front wheel (quick release), handle bars, seat post (seat was already attached, pedals, front light, front fender. I also used a pedal wrench we own to make sure pedals are tight. Check brakes and shifting. Can do it in an hour. We had a mobile bike mechanic check it and another e bike we bought because that was required for the other bike's warranty.

Did you assemble your Sport yourself or hire a service,and if you did it yourself, degree of difficulty? I should be getting mine next month...
I assembled the bike. It was an easy job that allowed me to get familiar with the setup. I needed to straighten the derailleur guard and rear rack, and center the handlebar stem. It could be done with the included multi-tool, but separate hex keys and wrenches would be better. Getting the bike out of the carton was the toughest part.

Does anyone know how if you can tell if the cadence sensor is sealed or not? The EBR review said it was not, but Espin support said it is on the Sport.

@BET From the pictures, it looks like the Sport's handlebar stem is adjustable to change the height/reach... is that true? Also about the sealed cadence sensor, if you look at the spaces on the crank wheel, when you turn it, do you see the 12 magnets on the disc behind it?

Back