Who gets underway with the motor off?

Although I don't have Lance Armstrongs' Emma O'Reilly to dope my knees up, I do have a tibial platue fracture with lots of lovely bolts holding things together. If it weren't for that PAS assist getting me going, I would have given up biking. I tried for a couple years before I got the e-bike.
What happened? I once stabbed myself in the knee because I didn't realize how risky it was to cut 5mm polyethylene with a sharp knife. Lube came out as thick as STP. I imagined that I'd never walk again, but it soon healed.

What happened? I once stabbed myself in the knee because I didn't realize how risky it was to cut 5mm polyethylene with a sharp knife. Lube came out as thick as STP. I imagined that I'd never walk again, but it soon healed.
What happened this I was run over by a car. I would not recommend it for anyone.

Fortunately now I only really need e-bike to assist getting going and uphills.

Although I don't have Lance Armstrongs' Emma O'Reilly to dope my knees up, I do have a tibial platue fracture with lots of lovely bolts holding things together. If it weren't for that PAS assist getting me going, I would have given up biking. I tried for a couple years before I got the e-bike.
Glad you found the solution. Knees were my main barrier to cycling as well. As long as the ebike takes over heavy acceleration duties and keeps my cadence at 85±5 RPM, the knees are now happy to ride. For sudden bursts of speed or torque — e.g., in traffic or up a steep driveway — I just layer on a second or two of throttle to keep the knee loads tolerable.

So lucky to get old in the ebike era!

Last edited:
What happened this I was run over by a car. I would not recommend it for anyone.

Fortunately now I only really need e-bike to assist getting going and uphills.
You're living proof that a helmet won't prevent serious injury. You said you had two bad knees. What happened to your other knee?

I hadn't heard of Emma O'Reilly. She says doping never occurred in the same room with her because the team knew she didn't approve. After they were caught, she answered a reporter's questions. Armstrong retaliated with character assassination, which you choose to believe.

You remind me of the time I was deliberately rammed two doors down the street from my house. A neighbor was having supper with his family when they heard a crash and knew it was a bad accident. A moment later there was a louder crash. That was me, hitting the pavement 80 feet from the point of impact. The culprit had opaque windows, which were unusual in those days. The cop entered the passenger door. They conferred 20 minutes. Then the culprit drove away. Nobody but the cop had seen his face.

The next day, a beautiful 19-year-old I'd never seen before crossed the street to confront me on the sidewalk when I left my house. She said she'd heard about the "accident" and asked if I was all right. By her face, she was truly concerned. I'd recovered from my aphasia. Seeking sympathy, I said I'd thought I was badly hurt, but I was just bruised. Later, I found out she didn't even live in my town. She was the daughter of a police captain in another town.

The law required me to get the identity of the other driver from the police report in order to submit my report to the state. The uniformed desk clerk told me I was not allowed to see the report. Without a word, she put the report on the counter in front of me, left the room, and closed the door behind her. I recognized the name of the cop from an item I'd read in the newspaper a year ago, when he'd broken his arm crashing a Honda. The other driver was identified by a common name, a California driver's license number, and a local address. California was 3,000 miles away. The local address was a vacant lot.

Two weeks later, I received a copy of the official police report. Only one cop had been at the scene, but the report said there were two, and neither was the one on the report I wasn't supposed to see. The revised account of the crash was fictitious. If you want somebody murdered, your local police department will be happy to arrange it.

I didn't know the motive. I was unaware of breaking any laws or harming anyone. Thirteen years later, a man invited two people I knew to dinner. They reported that he'd spent three hours making so many allegations against me that they could remember only one. He'd asked a friend in Naval Intelligence to find out what was in my service record. She'd checked and told him it was classified. He'd concocted a story that this was a government coverup of all kinds of heinous things I'd done. He bragged to his dinner guests about all the people he'd persuaded that it was true. Once they believed that, they chose to believe all kinds of other allegations. This became a motive for attempted murder.

I don't wear a helmet anymore. It's not worth it. Socks are another matter. Emma said part of her job was massaging calves to speed recovery. Nowadays they have socks for that. I have three pair.

You got me curious. I went to sunseeker.bike to see the T3CX Tadpole. They don't mention any motor or battery. Did you customize yours?
No, I bought mine from electrictrike.com and took delivery 10 Jan. 2020. About a year ago it was droped from their web site also from Utah Trike's site. So I think that Sun Trikes stopped making them around then. Sun still makes the Sun EZ 3 Tad which has the same 3 x 8 gearing that the T3 CX had I noticed that the T3 CX's price had been steadily been going up. Sun trikes seem to be in the lower price range of trikes. Terratrike, Greenspeed and I.C.E. all make trikes in the price range the T3 CX's were approaching. So maybe Sun dropped that model. Sun also makes the Eco Tad SX model which is listed at $1,399 on Utah Trike's web site. It is a very bare bones trike with 1x7 gearing and a 38T chainring.
I did modify the T3CX though with more conventional handle bars because after carpal tunnel surgeries on both hands I did not have the strength to shift the gears on the vertical tank bar steering. Then I aslo swapped out the triple 32-42-52T front chain ring and deraileur for a 27T Schlumpf high speed drive. I could not crank the pedals fast enough to up with the motor without getting real bad boom swing. The Trisled RV-2 velomobile came with 1 x 10 gearing and a 58T chain ring even with 145mm crank arms I can only spin the cranks to get up to 25-26mph for a short while. Which does not keep up with the 8T GMAC motor's top speed. I am thinking of changing to a 34T Schlumpf HS drive that would be equilivent to a 85T front chain ring and the 34T ring would give a whole low speed gear range if the battery or motor craps out.

I think it is rather counter-productive to accelerate an e-bike from a dead stop without electrical assistance. (Riding with the assistance OFF after reaching the crusing speed is OK). Accelerating and getting at the cruising speed is one of the most energy hungry phenomenons as the kinetic energy has to be accumulated in the moving body. (The other energy hungry process is climbing, and the third one is riding through the air at high speed). For me, it is weird to have the electric assistance and not to use it when it is needed the most, especially for a heavy e-bike.

In February, my Aventon Abound began making a brushing or scraping noise each time the right pedal passed 5 o'clock, approaching bottom dead center. Eliminating external rubbing, the pedal, and my shoe, I decided it was the right BB bearing, which handles both the pedal load and the chain wheel load, which is 75% higher. I thought it was a bad bearing until I realized it happened only when the metal was below 60 F. It seemed that the cold lube was too stiff to keep the whole race covered.

There hadn't been a problem in December and January, so I thought the lube had thickened. I bought squeeze bottle of Liberty synthetic oil, which has an 18 gauge needle, intending to inject oil through the rubber seal in order to thin the lube. After it arrived, I thought of something else. If I used the throttle to get underway on my driveway, I could pedal around with no bearing noise even with the BB at 40 F.

I'd bought my first ebike in 2020 and added another in 2022. They were one-speeds, so I always used throttle to get going. The Abound arrived about December 1. I used PAS to get underway because I had trouble seeing what gear I was in. It took until January to get a cable long enough to replace the shifter. I guess in January I continued to get underway with the motor much of the time, out of habit.

I prefer using pedal power alone because it's silent. A cyclist accelerates as fast as possible up to 5 mph or so, where the steering response is fast enough to stay up. That requires maximum pedal pressure, and in a given gear, peak pressure lasts 10 times longer at 1 mph than at 10 mph. One way of looking at viscosity is that it's how much oil resists being squished from between bearing surfaces. High and slow peak loads could leave little lube in the section of the race that bore the load. In cold weather, the lube might be too slow to seep back in.

Low gear on a traditional English bike was about 53 gear inches, which I think may correspond to 5th gear on my Abound, but getting underway at any temperature didn't cause bearing noise. It seems the Abound wasn't designed to ride without motor assistance. What about other ebikes? Do other riders like to get underway without motor assistance?
I usually start my rides on our local rail trail (W&OD) from my Garage to the trail without assist. It’s a slightly uphill 3/4 mile stretch. This warms up my legs and gives me the opportunity to assess the wind strength and direction. I then turn on the motor at the lowest assist. (Vado SL 4).

I usually start my rides on our local rail trail (W&OD) from my Garage to the trail without assist. It’s a slightly uphill 3/4 mile stretch. This warms up my legs and gives me the opportunity to assess the wind strength and direction. I then turn on the motor at the lowest assist. (Vado SL 4).
Come on, our Vado SL are just bicycles... :)
I never start a ride on my big Vado without at least minimum assistance such as 20/20% (which would be 40/40% for a Vado SL). I (in full clothes) and the Vado 6.0 weigh together up to 130 kg :D

Back