My Espin Sport

We will see once we get our bikes. Fatter tires are also heavier... nyeh nyeh nyeh. :)

@BET: Which bike is heavier?
I'm assuming this is all in good fun if not then a bit ridiculous. What he said in regards to tires is also accurate. Ya a Mercedes is usually heavier than a Civic....😉

I dunno... this is an Espin thread in the Espin forum and you guys keep touting the benefits of R1U bikes and you guys don't even own one yet. Most of the other posters here actually own the Espin and prefer it.

I realize this is bias and preference, but unless you have both, it's really hard to say one is "better" than the other. I just go by facts and you guys throw all these other variables around... like fact, the Sport is only $1200... cheaper than the 500 (with rack and fenders), the 700 and the LMTd. But then you say the additional PAS is worth the extra money... how do you know?

And I think secretly BET like the Sport more than the 500. Has the chain fallen off the Sport yet? :)

I dunno... this is an Espin thread in the Espin forum and you guys keep touting the benefits of R1U bikes and you guys don't even own one yet. Most of the other posters here actually own the Espin and prefer it.

I realize this is bias and preference, but unless you have both, it's really hard to say one is "better" than the other. I just go by facts and you guys throw all these other variables around... like fact, the Sport is only $1200... cheaper than the 500 (with rack and fenders), the 700 and the LMTd. But then you say the additional PAS is worth the extra money... how do you know?

And I think secretly BET like the Sport more than the 500. Has the chain fallen off the Sport yet? :)
Didn't say it was better, said it had some things that made it better for me. How do I know adjustable is better? Because it's obvious. You don't have to adjust it if you don't want but the option is always better. Put it this way if Espin told you for no extra cost they'd give you adjustable PAS would you take it? I'm not sure how the 700 originally came into it but I didn't bring it up. Either way.
Btw I do own one, it's on its way across the country right now

I may just buy a Superdeelite and hire a body guard to watch it!

Didn't say it was better, said it had some things that made it better for me. How do I know adjustable is better? Because it's obvious. You don't have to adjust it if you don't want but the option is always better. Put it this way if Espin told you for no extra cost they'd give you adjustable PAS would you take it?

But that's not the case, it costs more to have that in the R1U bikes.

I'm not sure how the 700 originally came into it but I didn't bring it up. Either way.

I believe you brought it up because you ordered it.

Btw I do own one, it's on its way across the country right now

Does that count? Again, not until we actually ride them can we make any definitive statements as to what is better for you or for me.

I may end up not liking the Sport, and I'll be honest about it because even though $1200 is supposed to be a "value" bike... I'm hoping it's worth it.

But that's not the case, it costs more to have that in the R1U bikes.

I believe you brought it up because you ordered it.

Does that count? Again, not until we actually ride them can we make any definitive statements as to what is better for you or for me.

I may end up not liking the Sport, and I'll be honest about it because even though $1200 is supposed to be a "value" bike... I'm hoping it's worth it.
I doubt many own both. Even then a lot is subjective. The point isn't whether or not adjustable PAS costs more, you've been arguing that it isn't advantageous. I said for me it's ONE of the things that makes it worth the extra $250

So just came back from my buddy’s house.

The Sport was pretty easy to build, it took more time taking off all the packaging. You just have to attach the front wheel, the handlebars, the front fender and front light.

Problem is it wouldn’t shift down to lowest 2 gears. But because I was aware of this issue with the Lectric XP from this forum, we realized we had to bend out the derailleur guard a bit to make room. Gearing isn’t very smooth, probably need a bike wrencher to help with that.

It was late and I just test rode it without the battery (it was charging) to see how it handled. I’m confident I can ride it PAS 0 even with the extra weight from the battery which is good. Hydraulic brakes much better than mechanical brakes

The pedals are small metal ones. When I get mine I’ll trade out for some wider plastic ones. The geometry is actually okay considering I’m 6 ft tall. The adjustable stem helps make the profile more upright.

Bike is heavy, even without the battery. I think my next one will probably be the lightest one I can afford.

I’ll either go back to my friend’s and try out the battery or just wait for mine to arrive.

I think the tires are too narrow (kidding). :)

Ya all that weight you might need wider tires..😉. Glad to hear about the hydraulic brakes. That's one of the reasons I switched focus from the Core5 to the Espin sport , that and the suspension fork.( They look like they have the same frame) before I decided on the 700..

Last edited:
You can't claim that until you actually ride one. :)
I ride a bike pretty much every day and have been riding for many years. So yes, I can say.

I don't know how wide of tires the Espin Sport will support with its rims and clearance around it when on the bike. You might need to look into that.

I ride a bike pretty much every day and have been riding for many years. So yes, I can say.

C'mon, you were talking about how the larger number of PAS levels give you more granular control of the power of R1U bikes to make up for any difference in non-power assisted effort due to tire size difference.

How can daily analog riding be proof of that?

Riding an analog bike and an ebike has differences and nuances you can't be entirely aware of until you've ridden said ebike from that particular brand.

Again, there is no right or wrong here... just personal preferences and opinions.

So I couldn't help myself, went back to my friends house and tried it out with the battery. 0 PAS is actually okay even with the extra weight and obviously PAS 1 and 2 are fast... didn't even go to 3 or higher. Throttle is fun... but can't get addicted to that.

It's really noisy when pedaling (no motor), not sure if it's still the issue with the derailleur or the front crank so he's going to have someone look at it.

Does anyone have noise/shifting problems with their Sport? I think the Sport has Altus and there have been issues with other ebikes with Acera.

Also, my friend asked (since I'm on the forum so much)... what are the indicator lights on the battery?

It's blue when you press the button but there are symbols for 2 squares, R, G and B... what does that mean? Some type of batter charge indicator?

That's the point innit?: " 0 PAS is actually okay even with the extra weight and obviously PAS 1 and 2 are fast" . Not looking for your wrath but after seeing that 0 is "ok" and 1 is fast can you honestly say you wouldn't like to be able to adjust the assistance? Whether it's worth the extra $250 or not is another story. I figured that combined with better tires and the extra gear ( which might offset that "lower range" from the wider tires). You ask GenXrider how he can know that the adjustable levels can have more granular control? Easy. Because it's scientific fact, if you have the ability to adjust you have control if you don't then you can't

Last edited:
@cldlhd:

Actually... since I have ridden the bike (and both you and GenX have not)... I can *honestly* say that I don't need to adjust the PAS levels. If I need to go slow, I use PAS 0 or adjust my cadence in PAS 1 (that's just as granular). I doubt I will need to use PAS 4 or 5 except for hills. So... 9 PAS levels is overkill... and just like gears in a car... I don't really need to have them be adjustable because the levels that are "pre-programmed" are good enough for me.

And certainly having $300+ in my pocket between the Sport and the 700 is even better. I can buy so many accessories with that... or... am only $700 away from getting a 2nd bike like a Biktrix Swift Lite.

And I can always Slime the tires or get "better" ones for less than $300.

I do recognize the 700 has a more powerful motor but I also know that Bafang may have a better rep than Shengyi... so there is that.

Again... my opinion and bias but I will remind you again... this is an Espin forum... I'm not over in the Ride1Up forum telling people that the Sport is better.

@cldlhd:

Actually... since I have ridden the bike (and both you and GenX have not)... I can *honestly* say that I don't need to adjust the PAS levels. If I need to go slow, I use PAS 0 or adjust my cadence in PAS 1 (that's just as granular). I doubt I will need to use PAS 4 or 5 except for hills. So... 9 PAS levels is overkill... and just like gears in a car... I don't really need to have them be adjustable because the levels that are "pre-programmed" are good enough for me.

And certainly having $300+ in my pocket between the Sport and the 700 is even better. I can buy so many accessories with that... or... am only $700 away from getting a 2nd bike like a Biktrix Swift Lite.

And I can always Slime the tires or get "better" ones for less than $300.

I do recognize the 700 has a more powerful motor but I also know that Bafang may have a better rep than Shengyi... so there is that.

Again... my opinion and bias but I will remind you again... this is an Espin forum... I'm not over in the Ride1Up forum telling people that the Sport is better.
You will not remind me again? Are you like the schoolmaster? Look it was relevant to the ability to adjust it. You mentioned it. this is literally one of the dumbest arguments I've ever had, if you want to convince yourself then having a choice is bad go ahead. Maybe you can find one of them old TVs with three channels. As for the $300 it isn't $300 you get 40 bucks off if you tell them you're going to use it to commute sometimes so it's really $255 . Better tires isn't just about puncture resistance it's about things like traction, ride quality, noise level. Granted who knows which is better until you do it back to back but from what I've read.... And if I really want slime I'll just get a jug of that stuff or slime tubes.
I'm not saying that it's better, it had been mentioned about the ability to control PAS levels, it's not worrying peace for talking about bikes. Also I believe when I first mentioned a few bikes I was looking at you are the one who told me I should look at the espin sport. On a thread that had nothing to do with it...

Why is this an argument?

You asked me a question and I answered it honestly. I’m not trying to tell you the Sport with less PAS levels is better, just good enough for me and I save money..

Again, we all have opinions.

Just when I was gettin ready to take my nap, the Fed X guy shows up-2 days early!!

Attachments

• Naptime.jpg
    Naptime.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 324
Back