My eBike was stolen - What can you do to protect your investment?

Solarman08

Unfortunately, two days ago, my 2017 Rad Rover eBike was stolen while parked and locked at my local public library. The cable lock I used was no match for the cutters that were used to remove the lock and as witnesses reported, it did take long for the thief to free my RadRover and ride off in plain sight of others...

This incident got me thinking of ways to protect my next bike. Other than a stronger lock and paying attention to where you leave your bike, I'm thinking that incorporating a hidden GPS tracking device into the bike would provide an additional level of security and might provide owners and law enforcement a way to locate and recover the bike. I don't think it would be too expensive to add the hardware and would be a desirable feature.

It could be powered from the bike's battery pack, or have its own battery and be integrated into the controller or display unit. An alternative to a built-in tracker might be an add-on accessory which could be installed somewhere inconspicuous. I don't know if such an accessory is currently available?
What are others doing to prevent the theft of their ebikes which are very attractive to thieves ?

Sincerely,

Marc

So sorry to hear that Marc. I have seen quite a few different GPS security devices available that install down the seat post tube, or other places on the bike. I've been told they are quite expensive to buy and the monthly rate wasn't cheap either. Maybe do a search on YouTube or google about them to find out more information.

Just a thought...

Was your charger and/or bike key also stolen? If not, you might have an opportunity to recover your bike.

I'd contact Rad Power and explain the situation to them. Give them the serial number of your bike and your bike key. At some point some poor schmuck is going to buy your stolen bike and realize they need to buy a power supply and/or bike key to actually make it anything other than a very heavy and slow bike. Since Rad Power doesn't have a dealer network any purchases of replacement keys or power supplies has to go through one office.

It is a long shot, but worth a try.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I got my bike stolen a long time ago as a kid, but my parent's homeowner's insurance covered it. I used the money to get another bike.

They do have GPS trackers you can buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Scout-Univer...F8&qid=1501258602&sr=1-7&keywords=GPS+tracker

Its small enough that you can hide it in your seat bag or duck tape it under the frame somewhere. These companies usually charge a monthly service fee.

You can also get a disc lock.

https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-0...rd_wg=AP33Q&psc=1&refRID=PMJWK1PQRD850Z9W3JFX

That will prevent the bike from being ridden away. I use it all the time along in addition to cables to lock my seat and a u-lock between the frame and kick stand.

If it takes too long, it won't be worth their time.

I have Boomerang on my Radrover. The good thing about this GPS alarm is it sends you an email and text alert on your smartphone along with GPS tracking with Google maps. Have you checked with your homeowner's insurance? My USAA homeowners covers my two Radrovers home or away at $500 per incident.

Have you looked at putting a tile mate somewhere on your bike? They communicate via Bluetooth with cellphones and if someone walks by with the app installed you get notified and can track it on your phone.

From what I understand, those Bluetooth devices are really limited in range. What are the odds that someone with the app walks by?

Sure. That's true. If you live in a major city your odds might be pretty good. Less so for less densely populated areas. I know plenty of people who have them to track keys, wallet etc. so they would likely still have the app open from when they were looking for something last. I think Bluetooth is about 150 feet in range

Last edited:
I use Tile for my car keys and wife's wallet. The Tile bluetooth seems to have a very limited range of under 30 feet from my experience with consistent connection. Might get up to 100 feet with line of sight with no obstacles. The fine print also state the battery needs to changed around once a year and only can be done by the Tile folks. I keep my keys in the same spot at home a few feet from my iphone and sometimes the Tile might not check-in their location for several hours on my phone.

The Boomerang GPS tracker that uses the Verizon network has much longer range and reports in real-time your bike's location; but, way more expensive at $200 per unit+$50 per year cell plan (cheaper than a bike or insurance deductible).

Unfortunately, two days ago, my 2017 Rad Rover eBike was stolen while parked and locked at my local public library. The cable lock I used was no match for the cutters that were used to remove the lock and as witnesses reported, it did take long for the thief to free my RadRover and ride off in plain sight of others...

This incident got me thinking of ways to protect my next bike. Other than a stronger lock and paying attention to where you leave your bike, I'm thinking that incorporating a hidden GPS tracking device into the bike would provide an additional level of security and might provide owners and law enforcement a way to locate and recover the bike. I don't think it would be too expensive to add the hardware and would be a desirable feature.

It could be powered from the bike's battery pack, or have its own battery and be integrated into the controller or display unit. An alternative to a built-in tracker might be an add-on accessory which could be installed somewhere inconspicuous. I don't know if such an accessory is currently available?
What are others doing to prevent the theft of their ebikes which are very attractive to thieves ?

Sincerely,

Marc
[/QUOTE

Sincerely,

Marc

Seems like someone could incorporate an "Electric Fence" type technology to make even the lite touching of the bike would give one and uncomfortable jolt(s) like livestock or pereaditory animals get from an electric fence. Just my 2 cents

The only thing you can do for 100% security is never let it out of your sight which is exactly what I do. I never leave any of my ebikes unattended. If I have to go somewhere, I bring it into the business itself. Most businesses in my area know bike theft is rampant and usually allow it no questions asked. I usually ask first as a courtesy and have yet to be told no.

If you have to leave it unattended know just understand there is a strong possibility it will be stolen regardless of what lock or fancy tracker you have on it. If you can accept that (and possibility of not having an ebike any more), then go for it. It's harsh but reality.

A $25 angle grinder from Harbor Freight can cut thru any lock in 60 seconds or less.

Last edited:
I use Tile for my car keys and wife's wallet. The Tile bluetooth seems to have a very limited range of under 30 feet from my experience with consistent connection. Might get up to 100 feet with line of sight with no obstacles. The fine print also state the battery needs to changed around once a year and only can be done by the Tile folks. I keep my keys in the same spot at home a few feet from my iphone and sometimes the Tile might not check-in their location for several hours on my phone.

The Boomerang GPS tracker that uses the Verizon network has much longer range and reports in real-time your bike's location; but, way more expensive at $200 per unit+$50 per year cell plan (cheaper than a bike or insurance deductible).

The new tile has 3x the range (so they claim). My friend had an actual GPS tracker on his Haibike. It was stolen 3 months ago with that and 2 heavy duty locks on it. To this day, he still has not located it.

Last edited:
The new tile has 3x the range (so they claim). My friend had an actual GPS tracker on his Haibike. It was stolen 3 months ago with that and 2 heavy duty locks on it. To this day, he still has not located it.

It might be worth going with a layer approach to bike security and you can add/subtract as needed depending on the threat level. I see most bike only secured with a single point of failure. I always use two locks+Boomerang around town while still keeping my bike in line-of-sight if I can. I've used up to 5 locks+chains+2 Boomerangs when I travel out of town when secured on my bike rack (I put a bike cover on if I have to park outside overnight at a hotel).

You can't stop; but, maybe you can slow them down to give you time to respond or even discourage a thief to move to an easier target (all depends on your budget, area, length of time being unattended, and overnight storage):
- GPS tracker like Boomerang with alarm, tracking, and email/smartphone notification
- bluetooth tracker like Tile
- +16mm chain(s)
- +16mm U-bolt(s), 2X the U-bolts will 2X the grind time, pick U-bolts that secure at both ends and you have to cut twice to remove
- using 2 or more pad locks from multiple brands, 2X the cut/break time
- using something like LINKA auto lock for added security
- secured with bike cover you can lock, helps keep the weather off and out of sight-out of mind
- removing components like suspension seat post, lights, battery, front wheel to make the bike look less appealing (those things a 1/2 my bike's value)
- picking more secured areas to park, line of sight if possible, park next to more expensive bikes, pay a little for securing in an attended parking garage/lot
- travel in packs and secure all bikes together with multiple locks/chains, I do this when I ride with groups.
- have your insurance up-to-date
- sign your bike up for bike registration with local police, National Bike Registry, Bike Index, and/or Project529 (I'm sure there are others)

Lastly; be willing to let the bike go, learn from the experience, and apply the knowledge to the next purchase.

I agree if you can't afford to lose it don't let it out of your sight. More locks may deter thieves to a point but because they already know ebikes are expensive they're going to be more of a target and thieves may be more determined to take them even with added protections.
Stromer incorporates cellular, GPS, and remote wheel lockout into their ST2 bikes. You can lock the motor when you park the bike, or later remotely via the app if it is stolen. Google Stolen Stromer for some amusing stories.
They should for a 10K ebike.

The only thing you can do for 100% security is never let it out of your sight ...

Not really practical for most of us using our bikes for commuting. I've kind of become used to having my e-bikes locked up on public racks in front of office towers while I am at work (2 locks and cables). I purchased separate bike insurance policies for both bikes and I've been telling myself that when/if one of my bikes is stolen I'm not going to fret over it (but if that insurance company doesn't pay claims then yeah I'm gonna fret).

bike-fail-epic.jpg

Apparently this is the best way to lock your bike up

Bike thieves are right there with child molesters in my book. Just bought a Juiced CCS. I plan to get some heavy gauge chain &
a couple top of the line padlocks. Of course the batpac & charger will never be left on the bike. It'll take king kong with the 'jaws
of life' to get my bike. I may even booby trap it with poison darts :)

Last edited:
Check out
Best bikelock.com
Pinhead locks
And Hexlox
Lots of info here
Going to my 1st local bike club meeting tommorow. Thieves are out in force in my town. Ugh! Don't ya just love em.

Back