My eBike was stolen - What can you do to protect your investment?

Not really practical for most of us using our bikes for commuting. I've kind of become used to having my e-bikes locked up on public racks in front of office towers while I am at work (2 locks and cables). I purchased separate bike insurance policies for both bikes and I've been telling myself that when/if one of my bikes is stolen I'm not going to fret over it (but if that insurance company doesn't pay claims then yeah I'm gonna fret).
Let us know on how the insurance company responds. I am curious to if they will pay for this or not. Thanks

Bike thieves are right there with child molesters in my book. Just bought a Juiced CCS. I plan to get some heavy gauge chain &
a couple top of the line padlocks. Of course the batpac & charger will never be left on the bike. It'll take king kong with the 'jaws
of life' to get my bike. I may even booby trap it with poison darts :)
Please post a link for poison darts. I lock the frame to the rack with a tigrlock mini+, tie the quick-release front wheel to the frame with an ottolock, and the back wheel to the frame with a light Abus chain. I have a u-lock on order (Abus Granit x+ 540); I'll add that to the tigrlock. The bike rack is in a high traffic location but I'm often at work after hours. I'm in a small city where bike theft is not a huge problem but I work at a university which ups the risk a bit. I'm thinking about getting the 10 lb Kryptonite chain to keep at work.

The one thing that always sticks in my mind is that locks only keep honest people honest.

I find it funny here in Portland that people leave motorcycles and Vespa type scooters out by the curb all the time and nobody messes with them. But leaving a bicycle locked up like Pee Wee's, even on your property, there are no guarantees that it won't disappear.

I am fortunate that I don't have to leave my bikes anywhere very often that is unsecured and so a stout cable that can get the wheels and frame to a solid object and a padlock work for me.

When someone comes up with a motion sensing 180db alarm and gps tracker combo that notifies your phone I would be interested. Have seen the current crop and none yet that I would put money on.

The one thing that always sticks in my mind is that locks only keep honest people honest.

I find it funny here in Portland that people leave motorcycles and Vespa type scooters out by the curb all the time and nobody messes with them. But leaving a bicycle locked up like Pee Wee's, even on your property, there are no guarantees that it won't disappear.

I am fortunate that I don't have to leave my bikes anywhere very often that is unsecured and so a stout cable that can get the wheels and frame to a solid object and a padlock work for me.

When someone comes up with a motion sensing 180db alarm and gps tracker combo that notifies your phone I would be interested. Have seen the current crop and none yet that I would put money on.

In the city I live, there is an above ground/underground 'Public Bike Center' parking garage where the CPD frequent as well with a bike attendant on duty. There is also a bike repair shop attached to the garage if quick repairs are needed in a flash. I also have heard talk about individual bike pods to park at to also weatherproof and secure your bike during inclement weather as well. Sounds like a great business for heavy bike traffic areas. Here is the link: http://bikeandpark.com/bike-centers

Unfortunately, two days ago, my 2017 Rad Rover eBike was stolen while parked and locked at my local public library. The cable lock I used was no match for the cutters that were used to remove the lock and as witnesses reported, it did take long for the thief to free my RadRover and ride off in plain sight of others...

This incident got me thinking of ways to protect my next bike. Other than a stronger lock and paying attention to where you leave your bike, I'm thinking that incorporating a hidden GPS tracking device into the bike would provide an additional level of security and might provide owners and law enforcement a way to locate and recover the bike. I don't think it would be too expensive to add the hardware and would be a desirable feature.

It could be powered from the bike's battery pack, or have its own battery and be integrated into the controller or display unit. An alternative to a built-in tracker might be an add-on accessory which could be installed somewhere inconspicuous. I don't know if such an accessory is currently available?
What are others doing to prevent the theft of their ebikes which are very attractive to thieves ?

Sincerely,

Marc

Marc-Sorry to hear about your ebike being stolen. Back in the day, I have had many taken from my own backyard. I depended on the bikes to do my paper route deliveries. But now having an ebike stolen has to hurt even more. I do like the suggestion below for some kind of alarm system that signals your smartphone
ie: 'LINKAauto lock with Tamper alerts for added security' sounds like an economical way to start. https://www.linkalock.com/
GPS with monthly fees sounds a bit pricey IMHO. I always keep my ebike in plain sight at all times. Being I have had so many stolen, I am a bit paranoid of loosing another and another. Not to mention, my insurance rates could skyrocket if I keep claiming 'stolen bikes' on my policy.
I have also seen a few bike alarms with remote, but not sure how efficient they really are. Good Luck with your next purchase!

Let us know on how the insurance company responds. I am curious to if they will pay for this or not. Thanks
I got my "hopped up" Sondors stolen from Ralph's back in July. Left it 5 feet from the front entrance. Had a full blown Motor Cycle chain on it.

Went in for a gallon of milk, 7 mins later it was gone. With it went my 52v Luna made Battery, Crystal rear hub and about 20 hours of my time putting it together. That thing did 42mph.

My renters insurance covered it minus my 500.00 deductible.

Has not been found to this day. But that check found its way into my bank account just fine! ;-)

I got my "hopped up" Sondors stolen from Ralph's back in July. Left it 5 feet from the front entrance. Had a full blown Motor Cycle chain on it.

Went in for a gallon of milk, 7 mins later it was gone. With it went my 52v Luna made Battery, Crystal rear hub and about 20 hours of my time putting it together. That thing did 42mph.

My renters insurance covered it minus my 500.00 deductible.

Has not been found to this day. But that check found its way into my bank account just fine! ;-)

Rambler-Sorry to hear about your ebike. That really hurts-especially the fact that you customized it so well.
Just curious if the thief had to cut through any chains/locks etc during the 7 min time frame window?

Rambler-Sorry to hear about your ebike. That really hurts-especially the fact that you customized it so well.
Just curious if the thief had to cut through any chains/locks etc during the 7 min time frame window?

Rookie mistake in my part. It was 10pm at night. Had a choice between those yellow car stoppers by the front entrance or bike rack in the dark. Choose yellow car stoppers that were only 4 feet tall figured 80lb bike would be safe 5 feet from front entrance of a Ralph's. Over estimated public interest, under estimated motivation of thieves. They just lifted it over stoppers. I'm sure it was caught on surveillance cans of Ralph's. Huntington Beach P.D is considering it a Vehicle theft, so they just stole themselves a Felony.

Rookie mistake in my part. It was 10pm at night. Had a choice between those yellow car stoppers by the front entrance or bike rack in the dark. Choose yellow car stoppers that were only 4 feet tall figured 80lb bike would be safe 5 feet from front entrance of a Ralph's. Over estimated public interest, under estimated motivation of thieves. They just lifted it over stoppers. I'm sure it was caught on surveillance cans of Ralph's. Huntington Beach P.D is considering it a Vehicle theft, so they just stole themselves a Felony.

Rambler-Wow-Bummer. Ebikes on the west coast seem to be exploding compared to other parts of the country. Sounds like the word is out among thieves when they spot them a mile away. In my neck of the woods, ebikes are one in every 10,000 or so. I get that up and down look when I ride by (Like 'what is that '-sometimes with questions LOL) Perhaps you might want to get an Abus Bordo locking system anchored down to a high post next time?? Good luck with your ebike replacement purchase!!

Rambler-Wow-Bummer. Ebikes on the west coast seem to be exploding compared to other parts of the country. Sounds like the word is out among thieves when they spot them a mile away. In my neck of the woods, ebikes are one in every 10,000 or so. I get that up and down look when I ride by (Like 'what is that '-sometimes with questions LOL) Perhaps you might want to get an Abus Bordo locking system anchored down to a high post next time?? Good luck with your ebike replacement purchase!!

Thanks. I'm more builder than buyer.

This is what replaced that.
As one door closes, another one opens!
20170908_132135.jpg

...Choose yellow car stoppers that were only 4 feet tall figured 80lb bike would be safe 5 feet from front entrance of a Ralph's. Over estimated public interest, under estimated motivation of thieves. They just lifted it over stoppers...
I'm glad you told us about this. A number of times my only lock-up option in front of my favorite coffee shop has been a parking meter. And I figured the same: "no one is likely to lift a 60 lb bike 4 feet in the air in broad daylight in order to steal it...". I won't do that again....

I have a drone tracker called, Marco Polo, I plan on sticking it on my bike if I ever have to leave it, in addition to a lock. The down side is that it doesn’t notify you if your bike is moved.

I bought it on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Marco-Rocket-Location-Recovery-System/dp/B01F4DOB5C

Not cheap but worth it!!!

Hello Dwight-So you carry the hand-held locator with you in your backpack when you ride?? Looks like you would need an additional shaker alarm or smart phone alert to notify you (if someone is tampering with your bike when left unattended, correct)?

You are one of those guys? Really easy for two guys to lift that bike 4', no matter what sized chain holds it to an open top post. Stolen bicycles are really easy to sell. The police really don't care, in fact around here, they like to sell them at auctions for benefit. On the other hand, scooters and motorcycles use a vin or serial number because a title and license is needed. If it is stolen, no one wants to go to the DMV and give them the numbers off the stolen vehicle. I guess if the states start requiring registration and a license on bicycles, maybe theft will be reduced?

I have a drone tracker called, Marco Polo, I plan on sticking it on my bike if I ever have to leave it, in addition to a lock. The down side is that it doesn’t notify you if your bike is moved.

"

I bought it on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Marco-Rocket-Location-Recovery-System/dp/B01F4DOB5C

Not cheap but worth it!!!

"Marco Polo is the only long range, up to 2 miles line-of-sight, tracking system that works everywhere you fly –"

Um...What happens if they (thieves) go more then 2 miles away from you?

I mean 30 mph is 1/2 a mile a minute of travel distance.

I think part of the issue is that ebikes are so easy just to throw into the back of a pick up trunk or mini van. And even IF we were to invest in a cellular tracking type of service, the expensive parts (motor, battery, controller, wheels, hydraulic disk brakes) can be stripped off in minutes.

I read a while ago that civilian GPS is only good to about 100 feet or so. So that it cannot be used for "military purposes". It made sense to me. Now I'm wondering HOW that would affect trying to find lost property in a neighborhood? Thats a LOT of house's to search.

I don't even carry a lock on my ebike anymore. Just like I don't have one for my Carbon fiber Road bike. Since I don't plan to ever let either one out of my sight.

That is an awesome ride! Fully custom build indeed. Perhaps you may consider some future orders. LOL Hope you will hang onto this one.
Thank you kind Sir.

Strictly labor of love. Was one of those things that just "came to me". Living in Huntington Beach means this baby is MORE useful than a Motorcycle. I can ride it on the boardwalk, sidewalk or street. Huntington Police Dept is super cool to cyclist. If a car gets caught harassing us, they will have a very very bad day.

I would love to build them for a profit. Issue is that by the time to factor in material costs. I would have to sell it for over 3500.00. I might as well get a gig a Mc Donald's, it would pay better. ;-)

You are one of those guys? Really easy for two guys to lift that bike 4', no matter what sized chain holds it to an open top post. Stolen bicycles are really easy to sell. The police really don't care, in fact around here, they like to sell them at auctions for benefit. On the other hand, scooters and motorcycles use a vin or serial number because a title and license is needed. If it is stolen, no one wants to go to the DMV and give them the numbers off the stolen vehicle. I guess if the states start requiring registration and a license on bicycles, maybe theft will be reduced?

I WAS one of those guys. O:)

Was my first build. Took me all of Friday to Sunday to just put it together. Couldn't wait to play with it. I blame the gallon of milk, yep THAT'S what made me do it. ;-)

Thank you kind Sir.

Strictly labor of love. Was one of those things that just "came to me". Living in Huntington Beach means this baby is MORE useful than a Motorcycle. I can ride it on the boardwalk, sidewalk or street. Huntington Police Dept is super cool to cyclist. If a car gets caught harassing us, they will have a very very bad day.

I would love to build them for a profit. Issue is that by the time to factor in material costs. I would have to sell it for over 3500.00. I might as well get a gig a Mc Donald's, it would pay better. ;-)

Rambler-My pleasure-The California coast is one of my favorite places to take a beautiful bike ride. I live in the Midwest, and at one time I took along my standard mtn bike on the plane with me and rode with some friends. It was fantastic the way everything was mapped out for cyclists. From Laguna to Long Beach and over to Marina Del Ray to Malibu. Just an awesome ride. Now with an ebike, it must be an even better riding experience IMHO! Hope to do it again sometime. Enjoy your new ride-safely! :cool:

Back