My DIY builds: GMAC, BBSHD, 9C RH212, CYC Photon, ToSeven DM01

Nice, I like the build choices. So the Soma is effecively a suspension geometry enabled version of the Ogre?

I've not had personal experience with the Maguras but I've heard about similar issues (with not enough retraction) in some configurations. So far I've not seen any consensus on what to watch out for.
The Soma Juice 29r has a little longer top tube and slacker head tube angle (see attached pic). The Ogre is a a commuter based do-it-all bike and the Juice is a MTB based do it all bike.

Took the Soma out for a ride today and LOVE it. Only issue was it was super windy which isnt the best for the ride I did (25 miles, 1500ft vertical, winds 20+) on the Photon. On windy rides, I typically prefer the BBSHD power as the last 5 miles of my ride is typically fighting a headwind thru rolling 4-6% hills. I forget how comfortable a front shock is on less challenging terrain and think at my age, all bikes will now have front suspension. Of course I know this being an early adopter of front suspension back in the 90s having first ridden rigid MTBs and then transitioning to the MAG 21 and better forks as they developed. I also currently own two full suspension bikes but only ride them on dedicated off road trails I wouldnt dare try on a rigid bike.

So the solution Im thinking is to build another Soma Juice with BBSHD and convert the Ogres back to acoustic and sell them as surlys demand a pretty high price out here.

Yeah, bummer on the magura MT5s. Initial research and things I tried to get more rotor clearance didnt work on the front set. I had maguras on a 2018 Bulls eMTB and loved them...much better feel than the Shimano Deore (4potF/2potR) I have now. Need to do more research.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-05 173944.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-05 173944.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I decided I dont need a 120mm axle because the frame will allow me to pedal closer, so I bought this 100mm replacement from Aliexpress for a whopping 20 quid delivered.
Original part or cheese?

IMG_20241014_142222846.jpg

Back