My chain is jumping off the chain ring on my Creo

kahn

Region
USA
City
northWET washington
Okay, two times it may be because I forgot to re-engage the damn clutch. In my favor, I've never had a clutch before so ....

But today it jumped off on an uphill and the clutch was engaged. When the chain does this, it appears to want to make life difficult for me and jumps off toward the inside. It then gets jammed between the bulge in the motor housing and the chain ring. Each time, I have to work carefully in order to not kink or bend or whatever the chain. Took five minutes to disengage the jam.

I see there are "guards" but most seem to attach to the front derailleur hanger or similar. The Creo's downtube is a bit on the THICK side. Not sure that anything can be anchored there.

Ideas? I don't think there's an adjustment screw as there would be if there were a real derailleur.

Thanks in advance

@kahn are you running the stock chain ring?

there is a chain catcher available for it, although i’m not sure the mounting point is available on every year and frame type of creo.

C679931E-56C4-4B89-A0FC-DEABD8A53C4C.jpeg

when i dropped the chain a few times, the rear derailleur needed adjusting, and i almost needed a new chain. new chain, adjusted RD, never dropped again.

many also swear by the wolf tooth “drop stop” chain ring. inexpensive and easy to install. i have one but got it to change the size, not because i was having drops.

How many ks? I had the same problem, starting to drop occassionally and then it dropped six times in one ride and always to the inside. Turns out at about 4000k the chain was worn out. Changed the chain and no problems since.

I had the same problem and wrote to Specialized. Here is the response:
I'm sorry to hear that you Creo is having issues with your chain dropping. There is a chain guide available to order, it is a service part so your local Specialized retailer can order it for you. I've checked stock and we do have it available!

Part no: S211200002

Hope this helps!

How many ks? I had the same problem, starting to drop occasionally and then it dropped six times in one ride and always to the inside. Turns out at about 4000k the chain was worn out. Changed the chain and no problems since.
@mschwett @NBS

Thanks for that part number. The oddball parts like the remote power buttons and this item do not show up on the Specialized site. I gather they want you to get through the local shop - breeds loyalty (or contempt!!!)

So, I am not alone in this mishap!!!

I guess about 2,400K or 1,500 miles.

I may hit the bike shop tomorrow after my flu shot.

Definitely not fun!

THANKS, ALL

There is a earlier thread on this topic:
The chain guide attaches to one of the motor mounting bolts. My LBS ordered one for me and installed it shortly after I got my Creo CC EVO. I have been fortunate enough to have never dropped a chain while riding my Creo.

Being the somewhat impatient type although I'm sure shipping from Europe will tax that - I ordered the part. Now hoping it solves or reduces the problem. As the thread @JeffC57 referenced has someone posting that they still drop the chain.

Curious, is the bulge on the motor mount aluminum (or other metal) on Carbon fiber bikes? I've got the aluminum Creo. That chain can certainly chew up that area when jammed in there.

Maybe while struggling with mounting the wheel after that last flat something is out of alignment now. Perhaps checking the rear derailleur alignment is a good idea ? Move to the highest gear and make sure the cogs on the derailleur and cassette line up? Could you have bent the derailleur hanger ? Turned the cable adjuster and munged the indexing ? Etc …

Maybe while struggling with mounting the wheel after that last flat something is out of alignment now. Perhaps checking the rear derailleur alignment is a good idea ? Move to the highest gear and make sure the cogs on the derailleur and cassette line up? Could you have bent the derailleur hanger ? Turned the cable adjuster and munged the indexing ? Etc …
Anything is more than possible.

Highest gear is equal to SMALLEST cog?

Also check that the chain is correctly installed on the chain ring. The wave type chain ring you have requires a specific mounting of the chain on the ring. There is an chain installation diagram on the chain ring. Mine is on the inside face of the chain ring and is hard to find. If the chain is randomly installed on the ring there is a 50% chance it was not installed correctly and it may jump off. When the LBS installed my chain guide they reattached my chain incorrectly to the chain ring and I had to fix that.

Also check that the chain is correctly installed on the chain ring. The wave type chain ring you have requires a specific mounting of the chain on the ring. There is an chain installation diagram on the chain ring. Mine is on the inside face of the chain ring and is hard to find. If the chain is randomly installed on the ring there is a 50% chance it was not installed correctly and it may jump off. When the LBS installed my chain guide they reattached my chain incorrectly to the chain ring and I had to fix that.
Interesting - I would not have known that the chain is meant to be installed on specific chain ring teeth. I looked up the praxis install doc and see that say “align outer link with inner tooth”. Makes sense when looking at the diagram. Thanks for the tip, and a good one for Kahn to check as well.

@Calcoaster

Ohhhhhhhhhh. Very interesting. And since the chain has jumped off the chain ring and possibly rotated to a different alignment (trying to free it from the jam), it could easily be misaligned now.

BUT seriously, it is a damn bike and such tiny details are something I would never have considered. But like all of this modern STUFF, bike shop has to upgrade software - no user serviceable parts inside!!!! o_O

Now, where are my rubber gloves???? It is like giving my bike a prostate exam! :eek:

@Calcoaster

Ohhhhhhhhhh. Very interesting. And since the chain has jumped off the chain ring and possibly rotated to a different alignment (trying to free it from the jam), it could easily be misaligned now.

BUT seriously, it is a damn bike and such tiny details are something I would never have considered. But like all of this modern STUFF, bike shop has to upgrade software - no user serviceable parts inside!!!! o_O

Now, where are my rubber gloves???? It is like giving my bike a prostate exam! :eek:
Indeed, you need to place the correct chain link on a correct chainring tooth for Wave and Wide-Narrow chainrings.

Highest gear is equal to SMALLEST cog?
In ratio parlance, as I vaguely recall, the small cog on the rear wheel connected to the largest cog on the front crank provides the highest gear ratio thus it is marked the “high” gear - especially on cheap shifters. I think the small cog position also correlates to the H adjustment screw on the derailleur. But I could be wrong of course 🤣

Oh, @mschwett and @VoltMan99 are really being helpful tonight! ;)

And as I think about it, trying to move the change one link (or two or three or X) back or forth will not be easy as the odds are I will lose my grip and the chain will fall inside and jam once again! o_O

Bike shop it is! But I really don't have to worry since the next five days are RAIN! But do you think the bike shop will understand what I'm talking about - that the chain has to be in some sync with the TOOTH? Is there a term for this. "align outer link with inner tooth!"

Back