Moving Away From Heavy E-Bikes

Thanks, good suggestion. I’ll try that & I’m checking the frame & motor bolts, chain ring bolts and anything else I can think of. Already changed the pedals. Trying to rule everything out before I have to return to bike shop as it’s now out of warranty. Due to work commitments over winter I’ve only put a few hundred miles on it since they fitted a new motor under warranty back in Oct. So it could be a loose bolt from that. I’ll see.

It's not necessarily out of warranty - you may be surprised at what specialized will cover .

If not covered, my understanding is that the fix is relatively cheap. The lbs reasured me spindles and the bearing are available directly from mahle. Having said that, a replacement motor comes with 2 years warranty.

Well, aproaching the original post topic of lighter is better, I am sure a sweet spot or (two or three spots where the power to weight ratio just works) exists. Some have an easy ride in Florida, others commute in Seattle, others blaze trails through snow and ice. Modular battery packs can either extend range or power, Carbon fiber and so forth can be used as well.

It's not necessarily out of warranty - you may be surprised at what specialized will cover .

If not covered, my understanding is that the fix is relatively cheap. The lbs reasured me spindles and the bearing are available directly from mahle. Having said that, a replacement motor comes with 2 years warranty.
Well that sounds positive. Though I did ask the shop when I collected the bike with new motor about warranty but he shook his head. I took that to mean I was now on my own. Anyway if the click persists I'll be taking it in regardless and they should help in some form. Always been decent in the past. I've got time today to do all the tightening. I'll know more then.

Ironically, my lightweight SS e-bike (33 lbs before accessories) has helped me improve my fitness to the point that I could get an analog SS bike (17.5 lbs before accessories), and now I have my “dream” two bike combo.

Two other bikes (geared e-bikes) sitting and gathering dust, the SS bikes are just that much fun :)
Curious, what does "SS" mean in this context?

singlespeed - just one gear ratio, but with a freewheel so that you can coast. the other type of bike with one gear ratio is a fixie, which doesn't have a freewheel. when the rear wheel is moving, the cranks are turning.
Thanks! Oh yeah, I remember fixies — like my Big Wheel trike! (Seemed like a mistake then, but I was only 4. What did I know?)

Of course, to each his own. And my own knees would file divorce papers if I so much as looked at an SS.

Just back from a Gran Fondo on a Vado SL, where 2/3 of the trip was inside a big forest :)

1679780334620.png

Low power? Yes? Slow ride? Yes. Doable? Yes. My Vado SL handled the rough terrain like a dream!

Real bikes are tools not toys.
Prove it. Perhaps something on Strava?

IMHO only the vinegar and water types data log. I have nothing extrinsic to prove. I happen to be intrinsically motivated by joy when I ride. Because I'm free, nothing's worrying me.

It's never the machine that impresses me.
It's the skill of the rider and their connection with the machine.
What kind of data would these machines be logging?

Screenshot_20230325-213214_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20230325-213048_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20230325-212927_DuckDuckGo.jpg

One data driven guy in NC was being towed by a motorcycle, so he could post his Strava data. That is how extrinsically motivated people work. I am more motivated by strada. I like it made from day-old croissant and dirty. That's right. According to Stava, she is a big fat looser.

Some are into data. That's okay for awhile. And for some.

I just installed a new controller and display on my ebike, so I'm going to have to study the data and owners manual while I get everything set up and calibrated.

After that I'm only interested in how many Watts my motor is using and what my battery voltage is.
I only care about my speed because if I go over 32 kph, I'm risking a $5,000 fine. (Unlicensed, uninsured motorcycle)
I need to calibrate my speedometer.😂

For the record I removed hydraulics and installed mechanical disc calipers when I went from a mountain bar to a drop bar.

My last car had a hydraulic clutch and the one before that had a cable clutch.
I preferred the cable clutch. I could "feel" the clutch engaging. The cable transferred that feeling from the transmission to my clutch pedal.
The hydraulic clutch felt muddled, dull, and isolated.

I will admit that I'm loving the hydraulic brakes on my ebike.
I can lock up my front wheel with my pinky finger on my 80 pound ebike.

I remember my freind and I had bicycles with a banana seats and coaster brakes when we were kids.

We could do wheelies but without a front brake, the only way to do a wheelie on the front wheel was to stick your foot into the front forks and jam the front wheel just enough to get the back wheel off the ground.
We called it a "Rhino".

I only tried that trick once.
Not only do go over the handlebars, but you take the whole bike with you because your foot got stuck in the forks. 😂

If there is anything abnormal in a recorded ride, a Strava user can report it, and Strava is very quick with its judgement. You would not even believe people how many users record their train or motorcycle trips as "E-Bike Rides".

Back