Moving Away From Heavy E-Bikes

Here is my favorite go to eBike. It is a three-speed, handmade in Poland, with a coaster brake. I love it. It is fun to take into a mountain bike park and pass the full suspension 12-speeds. The bike now has an 85 Nm torque sensor mid-drive. We are renting lovely bikes like this at Smith & Bergan, 7 Petaluma Blvd. N. Petaluma, CA for day tourists. The bikes are not like off-the-self fast faission bikes. Quality, qualities, refinement, and elegance. Off-the-rack mass-produced is okay for some. This lightweight bike kicks their butts, with style and speed.

Attachments

• 625b.JPG
    625b.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 122
  • CremeUno3e.JPG
    CremeUno3e.JPG
    778.7 KB · Views: 126
  • CremeUno3n.JPG
    CremeUno3n.JPG
    364.4 KB · Views: 116
  • CremeUno3r.JPG
    CremeUno3r.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 116
IMHO only the vinegar and water types data log. I have nothing extrinsic to prove. I happen to be intrinsically motivated by joy when I ride. Because I'm free, nothing's worrying me.
Happy for you, but I don't get this us-them thing. Why not let Strava fans do their own thing, and you do yours? Are they harming you somehow?

Does the fact they want something different out of cycling than you do make them any less deserving? Of course not. Respect is a two-way street.

Last edited:
Real bikes are tools not toys.

I think that they should be both.

You need to study it and master it like a tool to really know it.

But to become one with it, you need to play with it to find its limitations and yours.

That inanimate object can almost come alive when you push the envelope to the edge.

Just be careful doing that on an ebike.
They can bite you hard.

I personally don't like being recorded while I'm practicing.
A wipe out would be seen as a failure.
It's not a failure if you get back up and keep riding.
It's part of the learning process.

Last edited:
Happy for you, but I don't get this us-them thing. Why not let Strava fans do their own thing, and you do yours? Are they harming you somehow?

Does the fact they want something different out of cycling than you do make them any less derserving? Of course not. Respect is a two-way street.
Nothing wrong with using strava. I tend to use garmin connect to log all my rides (for my own reference), I upload to strava sometimes because strava does %slope calculations for my rides.

Its when it is used as some sort of 'Im more credible because I use strava' that people have an issue with. Mr Mikes has been doing this since he first became a member at EBR.

Its when it is used as some sort of 'Im more credible because I use strava' that people have an issue with.
Just show me your Strava profile.
Indeed, people recording on Strava are more credible because they can prove they have gathered necessary experience.

Just show me your Strava profile.
Indeed, people recording on Strava are more credible because they can prove they have gathered necessary experience.
If you need strava to validate your ego, more power to you

Pedaluma has shown his vastly superior experience to you thru simple/friendly/helpful posts. I have done the same on several DIY threads.

Threads in which you are involved always turn into your 'strava chest beating'

If you need strava to validate your ego, more power to you
No, I just have something to say backed up by hard data.
You don't certainly think I was towed inside a big forest, do you.

1679805386013.png

Or, maybe I was horse riding?

1679805431516.png

I think not.

That stravasshole video is gold !
I remember my freind and I had bicycles with a banana seats and coaster brakes when we were kids.

We could do wheelies but without a front brake, the only way to do a wheelie on the front wheel was to stick your foot into the front forks and jam the front wheel just enough to get the back wheel off the ground.
We called it a "Rhino".

I only tried that trick once.
Not only do go over the handlebars, but you take the whole bike with you because your foot got stuck in the forks. 😂

I remember trying to do stoppies on the bmx - bend toes back so they're up against the forks then apply sole of shoe against tyre....what could possibly go wrong?

It's a miracle we survived, never mind had kids....

I remember my freind and I had bicycles with a banana seats and coaster brakes when we were kids.

We could do wheelies but without a front brake, the only way to do a wheelie on the front wheel was to stick your foot into the front forks and jam the front wheel just enough to get the back wheel off the ground.
We called it a "Rhino".

I only tried that trick once.
Not only do go over the handlebars, but you take the whole bike with you because your foot got stuck in the forks. 😂
Was doublimg young brother on forks one time, it suddenly got real hard to pedal, after standing up and pushing through I realized why Brother was screaming( just lost a little skin).

Thats my type of bike!

The bike is a blast to ride.
The front suspension forks are completely shot. They wobble front to back more than they move in and out.

I had 70 pounds of groceries in the box and the bike was all over the road.
I noticed that if I was pedaling (even ghost peddling) the bike more stable.
I wondered why, and all that I could come up with was the gyroscopic effect of my heavy legs rotating.

Those are the kind of things I think about while riding. 😂

There is a reason my car has disc brakes and not drums just saying:rolleyes:. I do have a old jeep with 10 wheels and drum brakes thou.

My dad was telling me about how when pickup trucks were switched to disk brakes on the rear they were nothing but problems.
With very little braking coming from the light rear end of a pickup truck going through mud and water and crap, the disk brakes would cease up and fail.
Drum brake pistons and shoes are well protected inside the drum and way more reliable.

My old e-bike has a clasp type rear drum brake.

My dad was telling me about how when pickup trucks were switched to disk brakes on the rear they were nothing but problems.
With very little braking coming from the light rear end of a pickup truck going through mud and water and crap, the disk brakes would cease up and fail.
Drum brake pistons and shoes are well protected inside the drum and way more reliable.

I think u'll find that has changed if it wasn't just a question of the quality of the system. Interestingly enough some vehicles have been made with 4 disc and a small drum in the center of the rear disc for the emergency brake. Anyway, back to ebikes for the most part hydraulic disc brakes are the best choice for todays ebikes.

Anyway, back to ebikes for the most part hydraulic disc brakes are the best choice for todays ebikes.
I agree.
My new e-bike has hydraulic brakes and they work Great !!

My old e-bike might be over 20 years old.

On some of Fords 90s pickups you didnt have to worry the rear brakes didn work anyway( kelsy Hayes?)

Just some food for thought in downhill They have come to a conclusion that there's a thing about being to lite.

Back