Most Puncture-Resistant Tubeless Tire for Commuter?

Mtl_Biker

Is there any opinion about which tubeless tire brand/model is the most puncture resistant? My bike currently has Giant brand Crosscut Gravel 2, 700x45c (622x45), Tubeless Ready tires. I'm sure there are better ones out there and I wonder what they are.

I checked with Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) which is a great source for bike stuff here in Canada and I was surprised that they only had 3 tires in 700c that were tubeless. One Continental and two Donnelly (which I'd never heard of). And they don't seem wide enough either.

I know I'll change tires, probably sooner rather than later, and would like to have them on hand when that time comes. And not have to scramble looking for the right tires.

I've heard that Schwalbe has some good ones, but on their site the majority are clinchers and very few seem to be tubeless.

Suggestions?

If you're riding mostly on tarmac/hardpack then you'll want to run road/hybrid tires at higher pressures for the lower rolling resistance. High(er) PSI and tubeless are not a good combination IMHO - you risk your tubeless tire blowing-off the rim if the PSI gets much above 60 PSI. Caveat emptor. For my commuter bike I run tubes for this reason and select a puncture resistant tire with thick sidewalls (I'm currently liking my Maxxis Hookworms). If you're paranoid you can always slime your tubes (I haven't). I hate changing tubes on an eBike so my emergency plan is a can of GUP. So far so good.

If you're riding mostly on tarmac/hardpack then you'll want to run road/hybrid tires at higher pressures for the lower rolling resistance. High(er) PSI and tubeless are not a good combination IMHO - you risk your tubeless tire blowing-off the rim if the PSI gets much above 60 PSI. Caveat emptor. For my commuter bike I run tubes for this reason and select a puncture resistant tire with thick sidewalls (I'm currently liking my Maxxis Hookworms). If you're paranoid you can always slime your tubes (I haven't). I hate changing tubes on an eBike so my emergency plan is a can of GUP. So far so good.
Thanks for the warning. I'll run the tires at about 50 psi. I'm still recovering from a cracked rib so haven't been able to ride but I hope I'll be able to tomorrow for the first time in over 2 weeks.

So, what is a good "puncture resistant tire with thick sidewalls"?

Some good choices:
Some might mention Kenda's K-Shield tires but I'm not a fan of Kendas in general - there's a reason most all e-bikes ship with them. They're cheap.
The Maxxis Hookworm doesn't seem to be available in the size I need. And Surly doesn't seem to have a Canadian source although they have interesting tires that are Tubeless Clinchers. Vittoria also doesn't seem to be available in Canada. I know Schwalbe is, so I'll go digging.

Thank you!

Back