Mid drives vs Hub drives ???

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
High End TDCM hub drives rock. They meet Calif. Class 3 performance with comfortable rider pedelec input, same for climbs. And they are durable, reliable, and offer a well integrated PAS. But, cost more.

Is that what Stromer and Vintage use ?

High End TDCM hub drives rock. They meet Calif. Class 3 performance with comfortable rider pedelec input, same for climbs. And they are durable, reliable, and offer a well integrated PAS. But, cost more.
Amazing design! TDCM Direct Drive with Internal Gear Hub - Unlaced. 30mm stator, 305rpm winding, 5 Speed Sturney Archer Pedal Hub with Shifter. 1/8" Chain 18T Sprocket. 4 bolt Rohloff disc mount.

Just recently had a flat on my front wheel which is on a geared hub. Just from seeing what can happen with front forks, the wheel had 2 grin torque arms one on each side. This is a 350 watt motor attached to a heavy duty steel fork w/o suspension.

First thing that came to mind was, "what a pain to disassemble". Would have to remove the torque arms, and then use a wrench to remove the fixed bolts, disconnect the power cable, and cut the zip ties. All before I actually start changing the flat. Then I'll have to line up all the c-washers, tighten everything up, attached the torque arms again.

I ended up just pulling the tire off with the wheel attached and patching it that way. That lasted about 1/2 mile before it leaked again and I had to put more glue on it. It would have been so much easier to just replace the tube.

This was one time, I wished I had a mid-drive unit.

It would have made changing the flats so much easier. That night I removed the v3 torque arms and replaced them with a v2 torque arm. Now I can disconnect the torque arms much easier. I also replaced the zip ties with velcro strips so I can pull them off and secure the power cable after a repair.

Last edited:
Until you blow a chain on a mid drive and have to walk home...
Wait, you don't carry an extra link and tool? I'd much rather replace a chain link than repair a tire on a hub motor. That said, need to carry a spare tube and take the punctured tube home and repair at your leisure. Have to remove the tube anyway to check inner side of tire to check there isn't a thorn still stuck in the tread waiting to puncture the new tube. That's a lesson you learn the hard way...

I ended up just pulling the tire off with the wheel attached and patching it that way. That lasted about 1/2 mile before it leaked again and I had to put more glue on it. It would have been so much easier to just replace the tube.

I don't know how much experience you have patching tubes, but it is something best not rushed (if you already know the drill, the following may help someone else ;)). When you put on the vulcanizing cement, use it sparingly and wait a few minutes...let it dry before laying down the patch.

Too bad BionX is in bankruptcy because their hub drives supposedly did not exert as much load and stress on the rear wheel compared to other hub drives, and they were quiet and effective. I have not heard of rear wheel failures or rear frame failures directly related to hub drives used on manufactured finished ebikes. If you are looking for upper end speed, hill, and endurance performance combined then at a minimum a 48v 500W motor + 10aH battery is required. DD hub drives seem to deliver that performance the best, and with the least amount of concerns (i.e. gear selection management, durability, reliability, failure) for an average recreational rider or commuter. Experienced bicycle riders may prefer mid-drives combined with their riding skills.

Wait, you don't carry an extra link and tool? I'd much rather replace a chain link than repair a tire on a hub motor. That said, need to carry a spare tube and take the punctured tube home and repair at your leisure. Have to remove the tube anyway to check inner side of tire to check there isn't a thorn still stuck in the tread waiting to puncture the new tube. That's a lesson you learn the hard way...
In two years of CS supporting Bag=fang kits, I found that few do. I keep a small kit each mid drive. But recently converted most of my personal rides to geared hubs. Sadly, IMO, mid drives have been oversold.

In two years of CS supporting Bag=fang kits, I found that few do. I keep a small kit each mid drive. But recently converted most of my personal rides to geared hubs. Sadly, IMO, mid drives have been oversold.

Don't you prefer a pedal forward flat foot hub bike ? I rode one and that's not for me. I guess that's why we have choices.

@JRA What kit did you use on your Motobecane? That's what I currently have.

I got most of the kit from ebikes.ca otherwise known as Grin. 9c hub, 25a controller and CAIII. I had the 48v 10.5ah dolphin battery in stock.

Their All Axle hub is a better motor though and I have that on another similar build. Mainly due to its much lighter weight, toolless removal ability and silence under load. Not that the 9c is loud but it does make some noise.

In my many years of riding regular bikes, I've had more issues with chain/crank/gears out on the road than I have nasty flats. Thick tires/tubes + sealant do wonders. Most of my flats are slow or the result of me screwing up the install (i.e. pinch), and happen at home not on the road.

The tiny handful of times I've had a puncture where the thick tire/tube and sealant weren't enough, the leak has been slow enough to not need immediate repair.

I got most of the kit from ebikes.ca otherwise known as Grin. 9c hub, 25a controller and CAIII. I had the 48v 10.5ah dolphin battery in stock.

Their All Axle hub is a better motor though and I have that on another similar build. Mainly due to its much lighter weight, toolless removal ability and silence under load. Not that the 9c is loud but it does make some noise.

A shame more don’t realize the quality differences between the clones and th3 copied version. I’m flat out 8mpressed with everything I own from Grin.

2014, I had a heart condition develop so, in 2017 I decided a fat-tire 750w rear hub (Rad Rover) with throttle would be smart to start with. I would have to say it was for cardiac support and budget, is my concise answer to you question in 2017.

Now 2018, I agree a hub feels like crude power but, still a ton of fun with a few limited off-road capabilities. I am waiting for the recently ordered Voltbike Enduro with the small Bafang Max Mid-drive so, I can climb dirty hills! The hub is not designed to go up too steep of grades but, the mid-drive encourages it. I will have a better answer on the Max in a few weeks.

A shame more don’t realize the quality differences between the clones and th3 copied version. I’m flat out 8mpressed with everything I own from Grin.

I built my DIY bike using a Grin Tech kit and I have to agree - phaserunner + CAv3 + mx3006, and it feels amazing to ride - the only bike I demo'd that even came close to feeling this smooth and responsive was the Stromer line. It's almost eerily silent too.

It handles hills surprisingly well - DD hub is happy to take big bursts of current, and the loss in efficiency on steeper slopes is made up by the regen on the downslope/return (15-25%).

Last edited:
I happened to own both mid drive and hub drive (direct drive) that share the same battery so I can have a good comparison between the 2, especially on energy efficiency. I already posted this one before but I'll also share it here.

1529947542608.png

When it comes to the ease of riding and shifting through the gears especially at the stop and go city streets, the hub drive wins hands down.

Last edited:
Back