Mid Drives that have a throttle?

scout592

I have read a lot on these forums to help me with my first ebike and have learned alot about mid drive vs rear hub bikes and torque vs cadence. The hub drives are more in my price range of $2,000-2,500. I like the Surface 604 Rook and Magnum Peak. I definitely want one with a throttle for some specfic reasons I wont take time to go into here. However, I know some of the advantages of mid drives. What I need help with is the folliwing: . Do any of the mid drives motors have a throttle capability and if so which ones. For example Bosch, Brose, Yamaha, Shamano, or other respected brands I am not aware of. Thank you for your help. I have not seen any posts listing that information.

oojoe thanks. I wont be attempting to build one but you did lead me to the bafang m600 mid drive motor which looks like it is throttle capable. The rear hubs I looked at often had a bafang hub motor so interesting to see they make a mid drive. I haven't had time to look up ebike brands that use that motor but the price I saw for the motor itself looks like it is a lot of money so I will see if one is in my limited budget.

Seems you are looking for a step through. IMO the Frey CC is hands down the best mid-drive step through with a throttle. Cost is around $3K + shipping.

You can contact Frey and see if you can still get in on the US group buy, but even if you can't get in on the discounted shipping It is worth investing another $1K over your $2.5K budget. That bike would probably cost closer to $4K from a company like Surface 604 or similar that just imports containers of bikes from China and slaps their name and profit on it. If you want to save money and don't need a step through Frey sells a HT 1000 for around $2K + shipping which would be closer to your budget.

If you are interested in the M600 FLX offers a few bikes with that motor for not much money. Not a fan of the M600 personally but if you don't mind a somewhat louder motor it's got plenty of power.

FLX Bikes (disclosure my referral link, gives $50 off your first order)

Also check out the Luna BABE which is a good buy.

Last edited:
tomdav thanks for all the info. That Frey cc looks amazing with the bafang ultra. I don't see frey listed in the "brand" discussions on here to get a feel from others who have purchased from them just ro see what others experience has been with the company. I would have to save up quite a bit more like you mentioned .

Frey has a solid reputation. Lots of feedback on ES:

Do any of the mid drives motors have a throttle capability and if so which ones. For example Bosch, Brose, Yamaha, Shamano, or other respected brands I am not aware of.

None of the European brands will have a throttle, since it's illegal in many areas there. So, if you see any of those brands, just pass them by. Even Specialized won't have throttles.

In the US, Bafang-equipped bikes will typically have throttles. You can look at Biktrix, Evelo, Luna, etc.

Did you know that EBR has an Advanced Search function? It has options for price and throttle, but unfortunately doesn't have an option for hub vs mid drive. Here's one query I ran for you: https://electricbikereview.com/?s=&...st Throttle&_multi_availability=United States

I suspect you'll want to choose from the Frame type. There's a big difference between an urban step-through cruiser and a full suspension mountain bike made for trails.

That is so nice of you to take the time to look those up and I will start going through them. I will be looking at step thru mainly.

That search is also limited to paid reviews. Frey and Luna don't pay EBR for reviews AFAIK so you won't see them in the review section.

That is so nice of you to take the time to look those up and I will start going through them. I will be looking at step thru mainly.

Biktrix makes a step-thru mid-drive with throttle model called the Stunner-X and here that starts at $2K. It strikes me as weird that the 3" wide tire version has a smaller frame than the 4" wide tire version. Those things are pretty unrelated. The 2020 model has hydraulic brakes, which is always a nice addition.

Note that these mail order bikes need some assembly. If you don't want to do that yourself, you can have them shipped to a friendly LBS or have Velofix come out - both those will cost some additional dollars.

That search is also limited to paid reviews. Frey and Luna don't pay EBR for reviews AFAIK so you won't see them in the review section.

Good point. There are lots of E-Bikes that EBR doesn't review.

Weight wise I think the flx it’s going to be lightest of those other step throughs by a good bit, I like the M600 motor, mine was smooth and quiet and good power but I would get the larger battery they offer

Bafang switched to a metal reduction gear in the M600. The early versions of the M600 had a nylon reduction gear. In the video review of the FLX Trail the M600 was noticably quieter than the later reviews of the Spark and M2S (EBR claims "high quality components match the $3,499 price well" SMH, paid review talking, compare to Luna X1).

I think my M600 had the metal gears but am not positive on that

My ultra with metal gears is definitely louder

tomdav thanks for all the info. That Frey cc looks amazing with the bafang ultra. I don't see frey listed in the "brand" discussions on here to get a feel from others who have purchased from them just ro see what others experience has been with the company. I would have to save up quite a bit more like you mentioned .
Another mid drive with throttle is the Ariel Rider C-class. It is a step thru. It has a throttle, but a bit of an odd one, in that you only get throttle on 0 assist level. I admit I have only used mine to spin the rear wheel (with the bike tilted up to keep the wheel off the ground) while figuring out why my speedo wasn't working (had to do with positioning the magnetic pick up). I need to try it out on throttle only one of these days. Of course, having it on zero assist doesn't mean you can't still pedal.

I have read a lot on these forums to help me with my first ebike and have learned alot about mid drive vs rear hub bikes and torque vs cadence. The hub drives are more in my price range of $2,000-2,500. I like the Surface 604 Rook and Magnum Peak. I definitely want one with a throttle for some specfic reasons I wont take time to go into here. However, I know some of the advantages of mid drives. What I need help with is the folliwing: . Do any of the mid drives motors have a throttle capability and if so which ones. For example Bosch, Brose, Yamaha, Shamano, or other respected brands I am not aware of. Thank you for your help. I have not seen any posts listing that information.

Scout-What did you end up buying? I spent quite abit of time researching the very ebike you are describiing and ended up with a Frey CC. The total is about 3700 delivered and it takes about 4 months. So far I am impressed with the amount of customization that they are offering.

Taylor57. Embarrassed to say I have nothing yet. Frey cc became top on my list but missed the group buy last winter and $780 air caused me concern then a couple people on here brought up battery run time conerns as well as unrefined smoothness (I think the one has since learned to adjust power so not such an issue. Then covid arrived and many months for delivery but most take that long now anyway. I also looked at biktris jaurganutt ultra but frame size was a little large for me. I have been looking more seriously now at gates belt drives with igh such as watt wagon commuter but costs more so saving up a bit more incase I go that route next spring still looking at options. But I think you made great choice with frey cc.

scout592,
Bought an Ultra powered bike just a few weeks ago. It was set up pretty aggressively out of the box, but it was not that hard to tame it down and make it "just right" for my purposes - and battery life has responded really well with those changes.

You'll love the Ultra, no matter what you put it in!

Back