Marin Fairfax SC6 Alfine IGH Commuter Build

GMS

Recently built up my second (sort of third) BBS02 commuter build on a 2014 Marin Fairfax SC6 with an Shimano Alfine 11 speed IGH. While I only have about 20-30 miles on the build so far, I absolutely love the IGH. The shifting is very smooth and precise, but does require cutting power in anything over PAS 2 (of 5 levels). At PAS 3 the IGH typically will just not shift without cutting power. However, being able to shift stopped is becoming useful as I get accustom to that functionality of with IGH.

I also removed the throttle completely for this build, as on my previous commuter I found I never really used it (just bump up the PAS level when I want to go faster).

Build Specs:
BBS02 750w (Luna Cycle)
C961 display (with control pad on the left)
Hydraulic brakes with one eBrake sensor (right side) and push button power cut-off switch on the left (I found using brake levers as a clutch to touchy with hydraulic brakes)
52v 13.5 aH battery with Panasonic cells (Luna Cycle) in water bottle pack

Chain line on the alfine came out just about perfect with the Lekkie Bling Ring, and the 42T seems to match well with the alfine 11 speed.

IMG_2438.JPG
IMG_2439.JPG IMG_2440.JPG IMG_2437.JPG
IMG_2441.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Build Specs:
BBS02 750w (Luna Cycle)
C961 display (with control pad on the left)
Hydraulic brakes with one eBrake sensor (right side) and push button power cut-off switch on the left (I found using brake levers as a clutch to touchy with hydraulic brakes)
52v 13.5 aH battery with Panasonic cells (Luna Cycle) in water bottle pack

Nice stealthy build. Curious what you mean by an "eBrake sensor". Do you mean the stock mechanical brake that comes with the BBS02? Also, where did you get the push button cut off switch? Did you attach that to the left sided ebrake cable connection?

David

Thanks for the kind words on my latest build...

David, the bike has hydraulic brakes so the standard brake levers provided with the BBS02 do not work. So, I have using one eBrake Sensor (http://dillengerelectricbikes.com/spares/brakes/hydraulic-brake-sensors/hydraulic-brake-sensors.html), which is really just a magentic hall switch with a Bafang connector.

As for the cut off switch, I ordered that from em3ev.com - http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=50_55&product_id=198
The cut off switch attaches to one of the eBrake connections (left side for my build).

Thanks for this. I was considering converting my hydraulic system to a manual system, but I like this approach, and it's less expensive/work.

What type of headlight did you use?

Lastly, did you consider the NuVinci N380 CVT as a option versus the Shimano IGH? I am convinced that going in this direction is the right thing to do. Did you respoke your wheel or outsource it?

Last edited:
The Marin Fairfax came setup with the Alfine 11 speed IGH. I had been researching different IGH options, and searching for bikes that were well adapted to an IGH (usually you want a frame that has horizontal drop outs to allow for chain tensioning, but the Marin just uses a separate chain tensioner).

I have considered the NuVinci hub and also believe it would be a very good (maybe better) IGH - see a good recent write up by Karl at electric-fatbike.com on the N380 CVT.

In the end, I found a great deal on the Marin on eBay, which led me down the Alfine path.

The Marin also came with lights tied into a front dynamo hub, which work well enough. The lights themselves are very nice, but the dynamo doesn't seem to put out quite enough power to make them really bright. Lights are Supernova E3 Pro, and mount very nicely. However, I would recommend picking up lights from Luna Cycle, they will wire into your battery pack and are well made (I have them on a different build).

The next evolution is to go to an IGH with a Gates Belt drive (looked at SPOT ACME or Ajax bikes for that setup). Although, after riding the chain driven Alfine, I don't think the belt drive is probably worth the hassle (or the need to find a frame that will work with a belt drive).

Interesting. You are quoting the very article to which I would be referring. My build is a Trek 8.6 DS conversion, which has a Shimano 10 speed rear. I'm having problems with arriving at smooth shifting, but am in the process of swapping out the 48T Bafang to a 42T Bling. I am hoping that will help that problem, but the long term plan is to probably switch to the NuVinci 380.

Nice build. I like it.

David

Beautiful build! I also used the green cut off button with my hydraulic disc brakes. I like keeping my stock brake levers as they are much better looking and feel better as well. I want a pick with the battery on to see what it looks like.

I love it! You have the supernova lights too? I love my lights. I just got my shark pack in last night and rode to work this morning in 32 degree weather it was great!

Yes, the Fairfax comes with the Supernova light connected to a front dyno hub, which all in all works better than I thought it might... The supernova lights are very nice!

I like the looks of the shark packs, but they weren't available when I purchased this setup (the bottle pack looks good with the color scheme and is a bit more robust). I did a build for my wife with a shark pack - Luna Cycle is selling some nice stuff these days...

I really want to do a Fat Bike build with a BBSHD (like yours ;-))

Back