Lupine SL X for New Turbo Levo

Extreme1

Anyone have real world experience with this light on this bike? Ive watched all the YouTube videos, and emailed Lupine North America a couple times.

Im done messing around with junk or cheap lights. My wife rides night Mtb with me and is nervous when she can’t see because of cheap lights. The SL X might be her Xmas present.

Anyone have real world experience with this light on this bike? Ive watched all the YouTube videos, and emailed Lupine North America a couple times.

Im done messing around with junk or cheap lights. My wife rides night Mtb with me and is nervous when she can’t see because of cheap lights. The SL X might be her Xmas present.
No hands-on experience with Lupine but I do appreciate its seamless integration and I suspect that one could probably save a few $$ with a DIY install. The price point (not including installation) is still on the high end but that likely goes without saying considering its proprietary requirement based on motor specificity and custom integration.

I just took delivery of these for my Levo. A local mtb club in Calgary, AB was recently promoting American made Outbound Lighting systems to their members with a favorable discount through a LBS. It’s a powerful go to light for many here who choose to ride at night in the middle of the winter season. I like the fact that I’m able to outfit the system on almost any bike I choose without having to worry about wiring as it’s plug and play right out of the box.

IMG_20221129_1958574.jpgIMG_20221129_1946366.jpgIMG_20221129_1947294.jpgIMG_20221129_1947553.jpgIMG_20221129_1949016.jpgIMG_20221129_1949579.jpgIMG_20221129_1938579.jpg

I haven’t had the opportunity to test it yet as it’s currently -20 C outside. 🥶

https://www.outboundlighting.com/products/evo-downhill-package-best-bike-light

https://www.ridinggravel.com/accessories/a-spectrum-of-lights-outbound-lighting/

https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/outbound-lighting-a-stellar-self-contained-light-setup/

-20* huh? I’ve never felt what that’s like, I’m in Southern California. I’ve been to Lake Louise on a Harley trip with some friends from work, it was spectacular.

The best price I’m finding for the Lupine X is $420 and I can probably do the installation myself after watching the YouTube videos. Thanks for the advice on the other lights. My wife and I are on the couch in sweats, with the fireplace on, and it’s 50* outside lol. Stay warm bud.

Both Lupine and Supernova are excellent lights.
We have tried it, and after assessing the performance/cost ratio, we settled on Supernova M99 mini Pro-45 with Hi/Lo beam.

Both Lupine and Supernova are excellent lights.
We have tried it, and after assessing the performance/cost ratio, we settled on Supernova M99 mini Pro-45 with Hi/Lo beam.
I just looked at the Supernova online. I like how they have a shroud around it making it look like it was made with the bike. Do you know if they have one for the 2022 Specialized Levo?

I’m in Southern California. I’ve been to Lake Louise on a Harley trip with some friends from work, it was spectacular.
Yep, it hasn’t changed much and I must admit that it looks spectacular during the winter season too. Look forward to hearing more about your Lupine install.

IMG_1201.JPG

Lupine SL X has IP 68 .

Do either M99's or the OL models have at least IP 65 or higher water protection ? If they do they def. don't show it b/c is not listed on the spec sheet.

Would not want a heavy rain to short the chips on a 400$ light.

Fyi- see the included IP guide for those unfamiliar with the term and the ratings.

Attachments

• E678349C-BEE8-4DB9-A355-422DCEC4507F.png
    E678349C-BEE8-4DB9-A355-422DCEC4507F.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 558DEAEA-3F96-4EE3-A543-7A3B852E972C.png
    558DEAEA-3F96-4EE3-A543-7A3B852E972C.png
    828.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Yep, it hasn’t changed much and I must admit that it looks spectacular during the winter season too. Look forward to hearing more about your Lupine install.

View attachment 141419
Wow that’s amazing. I saw it in the summertime. I still remember the guy outside the hotel there wearing the Lederhosen (sp?). There was also a lady playing a harp inside the hotel and a dog asleep by her feet. Ahhh, what great memories, thanks!

I need to buy two Lupines, one for me and one for my wife. At almost $500 each it’s gonna be a while.

I need to buy two Lupines, one for me and one for my wife. At almost $500 each it’s gonna be a while
I realize that you have your heart set on an integrated system but I have no doubt that Outbound produces great lights and the EVO DH version rocks. I tested the helmet/bar setup over the weekend and it's awesome.

GH010479 - frame at 2m28s.jpg

I realize that you have your heart set on an integrated system but I have no doubt that Outbound produces great lights and the EVO DH version rocks. I tested the helmet/bar setup over the weekend and it's awesome.

View attachment 141943
Okay thanks, I’ll look at that one too. We also have Vados, so I’m new to this light shopping thing. The lights I dug out of storage from when I rode when I was younger are all junk compared to the new LED stuff.

Do you have the Evo/Downhill package?
Yes, I have the DH package but the Trail EVO on its own with its wide beam is still outstanding. I ride a lot of single tracks so the Hangover allows me to see further up the trail with its narrower beam. The combo definitely enhances my night rides so that I’m able to see the surroundings and choose my lines more decisively. I can't wait to ride with it once the spring thaw arrives.

GH010479 - frame at 4m34s.jpg

No doubt that the seamless integration of the Lupine SL X is certainly appealing but I personally like to have one light system that I can use for any one of my bikes. There is even an optional cable manager that attaches to the bottom of the Trail EVO to avoid those distracting shadows on the trail as you ride.

Good morning, I’ll look at the Evo also. $250 and being able to move it to other bikes is definitely a plus. We’ve already got helmet lights. My wife won’t be bombing the downhills and I probably won’t either. It hurts too much, for too long when I crash at 60 years old lol.

I just looked at the Supernova online. I like how they have a shroud around it making it look like it was made with the bike. Do you know if they have one for the 2022 Specialized Levo?

Yes, it works with Specialized Levo. I have attached a video below for your reference.
The Supernova Products are well tested and I have used them extensively in the Chicago winters and it has held up amazingly well. It is a very impressive light and we use it on all our production bikes.
Because it integrates with the main battery, we never have to worry about charging lights separartely. Lupine is excellent but lot more expensive.

1670521764859.png

1670521640219.png

Yes, it works with Specialized Levo. I have attached a video below for your reference.
The Supernova Products are well tested and I have used them extensively in the Chicago winters and it has held up amazingly well. It is a very impressive light and we use it on all our production bikes.
Because it integrates with the main battery, we never have to worry about charging lights separartely. Lupine is excellent but lot more expensive.

View attachment 141968

View attachment 141967
Thanks Ravi, I’ll look at that one too.

My wife and I are gonna ride our Vados to dinner tonight. We tried using them for the hilly single track near my house and it didn’t go so well. My wife went over the handlebars. My fault of course lol.

Back