Luna Cycle finally selling Apollo emtb 'best ebike ever'

https://lunacycle.com/luna-cycle-apollo/

YouTube vid:

$5550.95 in stock.

Custom carbon frame.
52v 21ah
Quality components.

Very well priced. All the snowflakes will flip out...

I think it's very well designed bike.
Live the carbon frame and 1100 Whr battery. It's a powerful system.

Eric is a passionate guy. He was so into ebikes back in 2000's that he bought the domain electricbike.Com and built it.
He is a little eccentric/cuckoo but that's ok. He single handedly changed the DIY industry in spite of his abrasive personality. I know BBS-HD motors/batteries used to cost a ton until Lunacycle arrived. Their products are not for someone who needs handholding.

In the video, at 20 min mark when he said "no goofy stuff on the handlebar, no cushy, wide seats on this fast bike..." I really laughed out loud.
I know it's snobbish of me think like that but when I see someone doing that, I just can't help it.

Last edited:
This is built up as an emtb, but if you were designing an ebike to be ridden at 28-30 mph top speed on roads only, would you still put in a full suspension? Only a rear suspension? Or only a suspension fork? Assuming 2.4"-3" slick tires.

I do get the feeling that most speed-pedelecs are 'capable' of 28 mph, but not really designed to be ridden at that speed for long.

Would love to see something this powerful but more commuter oriented, with slick tires, rack mounts and fenders. But I get the feeling that the audience for this (or Luna's brand) isn't really the kind looking to replace their car.

Parenthetically, Luna doesn't understand the laws in its own backyard. This ebike is legal in CA if you register it as a moped (3000 W limit).

Last edited:
https://lunacycle.com/luna-cycle-apollo/

YouTube vid:

$5550.95 in stock.

Custom carbon frame.
52v 21ah
Quality components.

Very well priced. All the snowflakes will flip out...

honestly looks like a great bike. not sure if it's the best ever, but looks great for its category.

5:25 "tektro brakes are somehow great, and I dont know how that happened"

AHAHAHA I think this guy says a lot that resonates with me. I think I identify as a "bike guy" too. a lot of interesting nuggets in the video.

I've got a "weenie" bike, but can't say I don't mind having one with less power. What if Luna were to design a bike around CA limits? Just give the bikes a lot of acceleration and torque but with 750W and 28MPH constraints? I think you can still have a fun and playful bike within those confines. Maybe it goes against their ethos? I think they'd have a much greater audience but could still build an amazing bike.

I hate to be the negative one but do you think that drive-train will be able to handle 2000W?

Other than that I think you are getting a lot of bike for the money, everything seems high quality , battery is 1100wh with a 300w charger included.

Holy Macro that is a beautiful Ebike. Luna is really evolving since the first time I checked them out. I can't think of a single ebike that comes close to that level in spec and performance for under 10k.

but do you think that drive-train will be able to handle 2000W?

Good question. Normal drivetrains are not made for that. SRAM EX1 is a good option but they offer an option of Rohloff hub.
In the video at this mark (linked here) , they have a Rohloff hub and these hubs can take a lot of power. I think the continuous output is 750-1000W bur rarely go 2000W peak. Optibike is another brand that uses Rohloff on their bikes with 2500W of power. So it is not a problem.

Good question. Normal drivetrains are not made for that. SRAM EX1 is a good option but they offer an option of Rohloff hub.
In the video at this mark (linked here) , they have a Rohloff hub and these hubs can take a lot of power. I think the continuous output is 750-1000W bur rarely go 2000W peak. Optibike is another brand that uses Rohloff on their bikes with 2500W of power. So it is not a problem.

I think that rohloff one is another model. I read on the rohloff website that it can take slightly more power than two pro cyclists in tandem so it would have made sense in this application.

This is built up as an emtb, but if you were designing an ebike to be ridden at 28-30 mph top speed on roads only, would you still put in a full suspension? Only a rear suspension? Or only a suspension fork? Assuming 2.4"-3" slick tires.

I do get the feeling that most speed-pedelecs are 'capable' of 28 mph, but not really designed to be ridden at that speed for long.

Would love to see something this powerful but more commuter oriented, with slick tires, rack mounts and fenders. But I get the feeling that the audience for this (or Luna's brand) isn't really the kind looking to replace their car.

Parenthetically, Luna doesn't understand the laws in its own backyard. This ebike is legal in CA if you register it as a moped (3000 W limit).
Eric at Luna doesn't give a crap about the legal niceties, nor anything that isn't directed towards speed/racing (hence nothing remotely commuterish/geezerish). He builds fast bikes/scooters and laws be damned...

Holy Macro that is a beautiful Ebike. Luna is really evolving since the first time I checked them out. I can't think of a single ebike that comes close to that level in spec and performance for under 10k.

About the only thing that's in the ballpark is Exess' carbon emtb - Luna has their specially adapted Ultra and controller to handle bigger power. But I think Exess has better component choices, albeit smaller battery and power rating.

Considering the specs, that's a lot of bike for the money for sure.
I can't think of any other eMTB that come close to that kind of spec for that price.

That said, I don't think that bike is for me.
The Frey AM1000 is couple thousand $ cheaper.
Yes, I know the Frey doesn't have carbon frame, 2000W motor & 52V battery, and all the other stuff that comes with the Apollo, but $5550 is a lot of money for me and frankly, the Frey AM1000 would be good enough for me.

Without even riding it I know I shouldn't be judging it but just by looking at the spec, I think the Apollo would be a little overkill for me so I think I'm good with the Frey AM1000 which still comes with Bafang Ultra.

But hey, if you have need for speed and have the money, the Apollo is pretty impressive for the price. Because as I said I don't think I have seen anything like it for $5550.

Frey isn't much cheaper if you have it air-freighted and consider that it has lower spec components. Apollo is indeed well-priced for what you get.

Still, if you actually use the Apollo as an emtb, it will be outrageous overkill on everything but the steepest of steep climbs. The nice thing is that 1KW battery will give excellent range in lowest power settings.

Every industry needs its nut jobs who only care about what they care about. I recently, after selling eBikes off the shelf for 4 years, bought a nut job bike, the FLX Blade. Having put a few hundred miles on the bike and having closely examined the build level and componentry, I must admit it is a highly capable and powerful performer. I do not doubt that the Luna Apollo is a very fine ebike and a very good value. To those that purchase the Apollo, ride hard, ride fast, and have fun.............

It might be light for what it is, but it's still 60lbs+. I can't imagine throwing that heavy of a bike around on tight technical paths. The idea of Emtbs just doesn't do it for me.

Add some slick tires, Jones bars with K mounts, fended, seatpost rack and a nice fat Cloud 9 saddle and it would make a great Super Commuter but as mentioned above overkill as a MTB.

Last edited:
Yet another reason for land managers to decide against legit eMTB access to MTB trails, IMO. And for MTBers to argue that ebikes are for folks who can't - or won't - pedal to get up hills.

Up to 40 mph without even turning the cranks? It's not even close to being an electric bicycle, even though it's cleverly disguised as one.

How are rangers and other trail safety/enforcement personnel supposed to tell at a glance the difference between this and a low-power pedelec eMTB?

Unfortunately so far they are not offering the Apollo with the Rohloff, which I think is a pity.
They do on the Apex, which is basically the fat version of the bike.
They are probably trying to simplify their life by avoiding too many options as they had a lot of problems with the Apex.

Yet another reason for land managers to decide against legit eMTB access to MTB trails, IMO. And for MTBers to argue that ebikes are for folks who can't - or won't - pedal to get up hills.

Up to 40 mph without even turning the cranks? It's not even close to being an electric bicycle, even though it's cleverly disguised as one.

How are rangers and other trail safety/enforcement personnel supposed to tell at a glance the difference between this and a low-power pedelec eMTB?

Most people scoff at the price of Ebikes. They just say I can get a superb off-road motorcycle or a used car for $5.5K.

My point is anyone who can drop $5.5K on a 'bicycle' will have some degree of discerning mind and I hope they use it responsibly.
People are who reckless would never think of shelling out that kind of money on a bicycle.
This is a bicycle that is out of budget for most people and from my experience, people who spend $3K plus are very progressive, very knowledgeable and considerate.
I'm yet to see a guy who spent 5K on a bike and use it like a hooligan.

Back