Love my Allant+7 BUT...

My bike, bought in August. +7s Stagger. It is the only Allant I have seen in person. I have made no changes. I did ask about getting the handlebars a little higher and my lbs said I may have to do something with the brake cable because it may not have more give. It's pretty awesome. I am getting ready to take it out this afternoon.

Had my Allant+ 7S a week now. Does better than I expected as far as pulling hills and range. Couple people I ride with have the strobe light in back. It's a lot more visible from a distance in broad daylight. They could have put that option on the Treks without any more cost. Wish they would have put more info in the display like tenths of a mile etc like I have on my road bike computer. Rode with 2 family members Sunday that have Verve's. They seemed more quiet than mine. Is that normal difference between the class 1 vrs my class 3 motor? Also why does a Verve with more narrow tires than mine have schrader valves and mine has the presta? I understand presta on a narrow rim like my road has.

They seemed more quiet than mine. Is that normal difference between the class 1 vrs my class 3 motor?

It doesn't have much to do with class 1 vs class 3, but rather that the Bosch Performance Line (PL) motors found in the Allant models are significantly more powerful than the Bosch Active Line (AL) motors in the Verve models.

The PL motors have up to 85 Nm torque and 340% support. The AL motors have up to 40 Nm torque and 250% support.

Some Allants are class 1 with PL CX motor and some are class 3 with PL speed motor, but both are about the same volume. Both are equally powerful as each other and considerably more powerful than the AL motors in the Verve.

The PL motor is a completely different engineered motor from the AL motor and there could be other contributors to the audible differences in noise level. But the difference in peak power and torque is certainly a significant factor.

Also why does a Verve with more narrow tires than mine have schrader valves and mine has the presta?

Good question. I don't really know.

Had my Allant+ 7S a week now. Does better than I expected as far as pulling hills and range. Couple people I ride with have the strobe light in back. It's a lot more visible from a distance in broad daylight. They could have put that option on the Treks without any more cost. Wish they would have put more info in the display like tenths of a mile etc like I have on my road bike computer. Rode with 2 family members Sunday that have Verve's. They seemed more quiet than mine. Is that normal difference between the class 1 vrs my class 3 motor? Also why does a Verve with more narrow tires than mine have schrader valves and mine has the presta? I understand presta on a narrow rim like my road has.
Trek‘s decision-making about feature packages leaves a lot to be desired, IMHO. The lighting specifically. I’d like to see more rider control as in when and how the lights blink. The Verve motor is quieter but just doesn’t have the ‘guts’ the PL motors do. I’ve never tested a class 3 PL Speed so don’t really know it’s sound vs the CX.

Other than a few nitpicking things I really like it so far. I was surprised how good it rolls along on flat ground or down hill with the motor off with the big 2.25" tires. I was used to a carbon fiber frame with 25mm tires. Guess all that weight helps once you get moving. Last couple rides I got 60 miles total out of battery and had just dropped to one bar as I was approaching home. I was was being somewhat conservative on assist but I used to pull some big long hills. Never really needed more than sport mode.

We’re taking a bit of a chance in that my wife has not ridden the Allant+7 Lowstep. She has ridden my medium frame Allant+7 regular frame but didn’t care for the less-than-upright seating position. She did test a Verve+3 Lowstep small frame which she liked the seating position on so we ordered a small frame for her and the LBS is substituting an adjustable handlebar stem like yours. He has promised that she will be happy or else!🤗

I rode mine around the store area a little bit before I brought it but you really have to have it a while to really know how you like it. 90 miles so far and I'm satisfied.

Sounds like a good guarantee. I rode the verve 3 first and really liked it as well. In the end, I wanted the small upgrade and it seemed more consistent with the type of riding I expected to do. I wanted to ride more in my neighborhood which is very hilly and rough gravel. There is a steep hill to my house. It seems like it will not be too difficult to make the Allant more comfortable if she needs it.

I rode mine around the store area a little bit before I brought it but you really have to have it a while to really know how you like it. 90 miles so far and I'm satisfied.
That’s really all I did before I bought My +7. It was clear to me that I loved it immediately...with some additions and adjustments.🤓

Sounds like a good guarantee. I rode the verve 3 first and really liked it as well. In the end, I wanted the small upgrade and it seemed more consistent with the type of riding I expected to do. I wanted to ride more in my neighborhood which is very hilly and rough gravel. There is a steep hill to my house. It seems like it will not be too difficult to make the Allant more comfortable if she needs it.
I know the feeling.

Attachments

• IMG_6260.JPG
    IMG_6260.JPG
    912 KB · Views: 403
Ok folks, time to send some thoughts/messages to Trek about this bike, specifically what they need to fix/change about it! Actually some of this could apply to the whole Allant lineup.
My list:
  1. Trek needs a more a la carte options list approach to their lineup. For instance, the +7 needs a couple of stem options, controller options, and tire options.
  2. The 625 battery should be an option too!
  3. I wanted to buy an Allant+7 in a Stagger frame for my wife. Not available yet the other Allant do offer it. Why? They have exactly the same frame as the +8.
  4. In a related matter, my only other option is the +7 low cut frame which DOES NOT OFFER THE RANGE BOOST YET COSTS EXACTLY THE SAME! This is just bs IMHO.
  5. One color? I like the Nautical Navy but really?
  6. +7 needs a more complete light system with brake light/blinking/ bright-dim capabilities.
  7. C’mon Trek, this is a $3600 bike! Don’t force me to buy a bike I’m immediately going to have to replace parts like the seat post on. Offer options (Or at least option packages like cars do, like a ‘+7 Limited’!) and make more money on the front end.
I concur. The Trek Allant 7 is still on my shortlist but is getting pushed downward.
It ought to come stock with a suspension seat post, adjustable stem and I'm actually starting to prefer the rack on the 8. The bike at the top of my list right now is a Cube Katmandu 625 EXC.
More money but bigger battery, suspension seat post, adjustable stem, a bit better components, Bosch Intuvia display and better lighting. All stock.
The advantage in Trek's favour is the dealers are everywhere up here.
My list also has a Moustache Samedi 27 XRoad 5, a Specialized Turbo Vado (4 or 5) and a BULLS Lacuba, if anyone here is interested.
FYI, in Canada, Category 3 e-bikes are not allowed. No idea if they'd figure that out if one was brought from the U.S.

CN

Last edited:
Ok folks, time to send some thoughts/messages to Trek about this bike, specifically what they need to fix/change about it! Actually some of this could apply to the whole Allant lineup.
My list:
  1. Trek needs a more a la carte options list approach to their lineup. For instance, the +7 needs a couple of stem options, controller options, and tire options.
  2. The 625 battery should be an option too!
  3. I wanted to buy an Allant+7 in a Stagger frame for my wife. Not available yet the other Allant do offer it. Why? They have exactly the same frame as the +8.
  4. In a related matter, my only other option is the +7 low cut frame which DOES NOT OFFER THE RANGE BOOST YET COSTS EXACTLY THE SAME! This is just bs IMHO.
  5. One color? I like the Nautical Navy but really?
  6. +7 needs a more complete light system with brake light/blinking/ bright-dim capabilities.
  7. C’mon Trek, this is a $3600 bike! Don’t force me to buy a bike I’m immediately going to have to replace parts like the seat post on. Offer options (Or at least option packages like cars do, like a ‘+7 Limited’!) and make more money on the front end.
Couldn’t agree more.
trek could source all these at a much cheaper price, integrate them well and sell a limited edition at a higher price. My time, energy and money would be saved. Plus imagine the sheer joy and how blown away you would be with such a bike.

The bike at the top of my list right now is a Cube Katmandu 625 EXC.
I've never seen one of these in person, but I have heard they are very nice.
a Specialized Turbo Vado (4 or 5)
I did test a Vado 4- it was very nice. I wish I had ridden the 5.

While having choices can be a little overwhelming it is awesome that you have access to so many great bikes! My Allant is the +7s so it isn't an option for you I guess, but it is pretty sweet.

The one in my LBS has the silver finish, adjustable stem and suspension seat post. Schwalbe g one tyres. Great bike but the m frame a smidge too small for me. And the £3199 price tag (US$4200) didn’t suit me too me either

I’m just telling you Trek’s response to me. So this your bike and it came new with that adjustable stem? Are you in the U.S.A? Honestly never seen a picture of that stem on a +7. I’m starting to really wonder about Trek’s sales/marketing strategy approach.🙄
View attachment 65035
Dallant, is your bike the L size?? I wonder if they use the same cable lengths on all the sizes. Mine is an XL and I switched my bars to my Surly Moloko bars but no way I can raise them up at all. I have run out of cable slack. Still is a good ride for me but I would like about another 1" of bar height.

Dallant, is your bike the L size?? I wonder if they use the same cable lengths on all the sizes. Mine is an XL and I switched my bars to my Surly Moloko bars but no way I can raise them up at all. I have run out of cable slack. Still is a good ride for me but I would like about another 1" of bar height.
Mine is a medium. I doubt they use the same cable lengths but I don’t know. I use bar ends to gain a higher sitting position.

Attachments

• EBDC5872-2AF7-44AE-A898-59EC34639072.jpeg
    EBDC5872-2AF7-44AE-A898-59EC34639072.jpeg
    924.9 KB · Views: 213
Back