Love my Allant+7 BUT...

As for the lights, come this winter I will add front and rear blinky light because my commute in the winter is in the dark both in and back home. Just a bit more visibility for night time commuting. My ride is mostly on rural roads so not much traffic in the winter but on the other side of the coin the drivers are not expecting to see a bicycle out there at night in the wintertime!!

That is an interesting bag on your top tube. Is that a home made??
It’s a Stashers bag and I got it from Amazon. Large size. I got it to hold a spare battery. Had to carefully remove the foam so the battery would fit inside.

Attachments

• 1D3F1594-45D3-4542-93FA-E84CDB10E6EF.jpeg
    1D3F1594-45D3-4542-93FA-E84CDB10E6EF.jpeg
    659.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 75ED0AE5-AC03-4F66-A752-CCF984513111.jpeg
    75ED0AE5-AC03-4F66-A752-CCF984513111.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 45EF13D4-CC73-40BB-88DE-DBA49633C71A.jpeg
    45EF13D4-CC73-40BB-88DE-DBA49633C71A.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 207
I got it to hold a spare battery.
Nice! That's an elegant solution! That really extends your range and I imagine you could do some light touring with that setup.

I like what you did there and I think it looks better than the Trek range booster battery pack.

Nice! That's an elegant solution! That really extends your range and I imagine you could do some light touring with that setup.

I like what you did there and I think it looks better than the Trek range booster battery pack.
Just wish I could find a way to connect the battery so it would work like a Range Booster.

Just wish I could find a way to connect the battery so it would work like a Range Booster.
Yeah, it would be nice if you could just plug into a port on the frame or something so you didn't have to stop to swap the battery.

Good Morning Dallant, I was wondering on your thoughts of the extra battery. Do you think it is best to have a whole extra battery to plug in, or, have the booster battery that is already hooked up?? If I understand right when you have the two hooked up they drain together. Is it right to assume that when you charge then they charge equally back up?? I am interested for touring. Not that I want to do 100 mile days, but there might be some camping involved where no electricity is available for an overnight and then the battery power left for the next morning to ride to electricity.

Good Morning Dallant, I was wondering on your thoughts of the extra battery. Do you think it is best to have a whole extra battery to plug in, or, have the booster battery that is already hooked up?? If I understand right when you have the two hooked up they drain together. Is it right to assume that when you charge then they charge equally back up?? I am interested for touring. Not that I want to do 100 mile days, but there might be some camping involved where no electricity is available for an overnight and then the battery power left for the next morning to ride to electricity.
Each person has their own needs/desires.
I bought a spare so it could be used on any one of our three Treks. Range Booster can’t do that. I bought an Allant+7 partially because of the RIB design so adding a Range Booster has less appeal for me. Had I not finally received a 625wh battery recently, I probably would have gotten a Range Booster setup. I also wanted a 625 and the RB only has the 500.
I believe that if you charge the normal and Range Booster batteries in the bike, they do charge equally but I don’t know for sure. If I was car camping and wanted to just have a spare battery to use the next morning, I’d just do the spare vs carrying two batteries on the bike all the time. But if you’re specifically bike camping, Range Boost might be the best option.

I bought a spare so it could be used on any one of our three Treks. Range Booster can’t do that. I bought an Allant+7 partially because of the RIB design so adding a Range Booster has less appeal for me. Had I not finally received a 625wh battery recently, I probably would have gotten a Range Booster setup. I also wanted a 625 and the RB only has the 500.
I believe that if you charge the normal and Range Booster batteries in the bike, they do charge equally but I don’t know for sure. If I was car camping and wanted to just have a spare battery to use the next morning, I’d just do the spare vs carrying two batteries on the bike all the time. But if you’re specifically bike camping, Range Boost might be the best option.
I'm going to give it a go here in another couple of weeks. Just an overnight, only about a twenty five mile ride just to find out about the battery. No electricity at campsite, we will see about day two to get home!!

I'm going to give it a go here in another couple of weeks. Just an overnight, only about a twenty five mile ride just to find out about the battery. No electricity at campsite, we will see about day two to get home!!
Don’t know what all you’re carrying or what kind of elevation gain but you should be able to do 25 miles easily.

Your mileage will be hugely influenced by your riding style. Spouse and I have Allant 8s bikes. Our favorite lunch ride is about 12 miles and includes about 900 feet of climbing some steep hills. We use power only for hill climbing. On flats, it's human power. Downhill we mostly coast. On today's ride spouse used 10% of the battery. I used 14%. Our average speed, not counting our lunch stop, was about 12 MPH, so we weren't in a hurry. I'm in worse shape....and both of us are seniors well past our fitness primes. So 50 miles is not at all unreasonable, maybe 40 for the 500 watt battery, and you can get much more by using less power boost.

I did 23+ miles this morning with 1017‘ elevation gain averaging 13.8 and still had well over 50% of my 500wh battery left when I got home.
CA46460B-E4E5-45FE-82DA-BAAB9D331DC4.jpeg

My wife has the 7s I have the 8s, we have done some 55 mile rides that average 17-19 and both had 25% battery left at the end. We did a 42 mile ride with 3000' elevation change and had 55% battery (as much down hill as up) You can get some great range if you stay off turbo even with heavy loads.

Dallant,

Thanks for all your helpful feedback to the community. Particularly you and Alaskan have really help me and I many others feel the same. THANK YOU! Can you elaborate on why you "probably would have gotten a range booster setup" instead of hauling along a second battery? I too am at that stage too where I'm deciding either to purchase a full second 625wh battery (and also get a top-tube carrier for the battery), or purchase the 500wh range extender setup. The range booster looks ugly and is 500wh instead of 625wh, and I think even costs more, but I might be missing something. Can you steer me one way or the other? Absent more feedback, it seems a second 625wh battery seems the way to go... bringing it on the bike with me only as needed.

As background, I'm a pretty new 8s owner, and based on how I ride I'm getting about 60miles on a single charge (riding most all in "tour," mostly on the flat, averaging 18mph). But my goal is some weekend trips hitting just over 100 miles between charges, so I'll need some more juice to keep me going!

A second unrelated question --- 8s came with the cobi/smartphone hub, and for the life of me I can't find an odometer reading... any suggestions?

Glad to be of help! It really depends on your needs/desires. A 625, if you can get one, is probably the better investment if you think the Range Booster is ugly and you’re not going 100 miles all the time.
I don’t know anything about the cobi/smart hub. Best of luck!

Glad to be of help! It really depends on your needs/desires. A 625, if you can get one, is probably the better investment if you think the Range Booster is ugly and you’re not going 100 miles all the time.
I don’t know anything about the cobi/smart hub. Best of luck!
I'm so glad Dallant you finally got the 625... ❤️

I'm so glad Dallant you finally got the 625... ❤️
Yeah, I am too but it’s not a magic pill or anything, at least not yet. We now have 3 ebikes and 4 interchangeable batteries so if need be we can each have our bike with a spare battery for longer tours or two days of shorter rides when charging isn’t convenient or doable.

Back